NTPA on RFD-TV November 13, 2010 02:58PM
I know im not the first one asking this question but i never heard!! Why is Army Armstrong not one of the Host of Tractor Pulling on RFD anymore?? I like it now the way it is but Army had a lot of TV experience behind him and knows Tractor Pulling! Just wanted to know why theres no Army??

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV November 13, 2010 09:50PM
I was wondering the same thing!

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV November 14, 2010 02:48AM
This is just a guess...he's probably gone because the NTPA had to pay him to be there. They are already buying the time from RFD-TV so anything to reduce production costs would be considered.

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV November 14, 2010 05:07AM
I know that everything that it takes to put a TV show on National TV is first a lot of work, and second very expensive!! but when your showcasing your sport to a viewing crowd of millions and millions of people you need to make it look as good as possible, Army added a lot! to NTPA on RFD! If the NTPA is so broke why dont they go out and find a big name and big money sponsor like the PPL, and if the NTPA is trying to save money they better really start pinching pennies!! RFD-TV is getting bigger and bigger everyday!! and there viewership is going up and up everyday, which means that there TV time is going to become more valuable and cost of airing shows on RFD is almost guaranteed to go up!!

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV November 14, 2010 05:20AM
Army was a detriment to the sport. He knew the people, but not the mechanical end, or if he did know the mechanical end, he sure didn't know how to convey that to the viewers.
Ashley and Gregg are a MUCH better team in the broadcast booth.
No hyped up voices during the pull, and very knowledgable of pullers and the machines.
Much more enjoyable to watch with the current set up.
I still remember watching driveshafts (or various other parts) spit out on the ground and Army saying it was a blower belt. Happened numerous times.
I have seen Doc Rielley on some other motorsports shows, and he would be fun to watch again!
Sign me, "not an Army Armstrong fan"
I'd rather watch Orion Samuelson announce a tractor pull than Army. Whit Bazemore could do better.
Now if I wanted a doll house, Army will get the call.
Would be fun to watch Gary Scelzi and John Force announce a pull!

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV November 18, 2010 12:17PM
Army didnt even know Ashley Corzines last name at the time. He constantly called her Ashley Kessler instead of Koester. That used to drive me crazy!

Re: PPL on CBS is better November 18, 2010 05:46PM
Although they showed my least favorite classes, (mods and TWD) the CBS Sports Spectacular presentation of the PPL Indy Super Pull was much better: Better graphics, better announcers, better approach. They even mic'd the finish line flagman, what a great idea, way to think out of the box.

Re: PPL on CBS is better July 03, 2012 01:28PM
And PPL has been on cbs how many times since you astute post?

Re: PPL on CBS is better July 03, 2012 01:45PM
It's not my fault it hasn't been on CBS since that I could tell. It looks like PPL will stick to the uber-premium channel MAV-TV. But that doesn't change the fact that the RFD broadcasts need a change of broadcasters. Ashley has no credibility when she actually believed (and said it on air) Boxler and Raymond had V8 diesels in the SSD class. I hope Doc Riley gets the nod for all the TV gigs in 2012. He knows his stuff and can articulate it very well, probably the best in the business.

Re: PPL on CBS is better July 03, 2012 03:06PM
There is usually one CBS broadcast a year of PPL. 2010 was the Indy Super Pull, 2011 was the Wheatland season finale, and this year is scheduled to be Wheatland again, to air on October 27.

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV November 14, 2010 05:57AM
I agree.....The best was when Army was saying a super wasnt running too good because it wasnt making alot of smoke....It was an alky!!! True story!

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV November 14, 2010 09:24AM
How much can they really be spending on the broadcasts of these shows? Im sure they pay Ashley and Greg next to nothing. RFD im guessing is one of the cheapest venues to buy airtime. And my kids cell phone takes better video than the cameras that they use to film the show! Then I turn to Versus and watch PPL with amazing HD video and great announcing. My only complaint is they dont show the variety of classes that NTPA does. It was asked up above but honestly why doesn't NTPA get more sponsorship?

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV November 14, 2010 10:16AM
How abour Ashley and Army? One's a LOOKER, one's a talker.

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV November 14, 2010 11:44AM
Ashley and Gregg are knowledgable, I'll give them that, but they sound so awkward on television. There's got to be some flow too it and maybe a little bit of excitement. Not Dick Vitale exciting, but a little more than what they do now...

Just my two cents. Smiling

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV November 14, 2010 12:42PM
For neither being professional TV actors, I think gregg and ashley do fine! They've adjusted the percentage of pulling time to the other junk, to where they have a pretty good balance now.

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV November 15, 2010 03:29AM
enjoyable show from here ppl is quite a bit better but you get what you pay for and im sure they (LUCAS) pay quite a bit.NTPA should try to work with them (LUCAS) i think it would take the sport to the next level

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV November 17, 2010 02:36PM
I don’t have cable or dish (local channels only) so I don’t get to see all the pulls, but I do get to see some pulling when I’m visiting friends or at hotels. Personally I think Army didn’t add to the broadcasts. I think he was away from the sport a little too long and things have changed a little too much for him.

I haven’t seen any shows yet this season so I’m no expert, but from what I’ve seen in years past… I’m not sure if pulling will ever translate well to TV. Pulling is like Drag Racing, it’s OK on TV, but you just have to be there in person to “feel” the sport. I honestly don’t believe that TV will take pulling to the “next level”. Don’t get me wrong, TV won’t hurt the sport, but I don’t think it will ever bring in revenue or major sponsors.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV November 17, 2010 08:40PM
But with nascar or drag racing, you can see better whats going on, on TV, BETTER than actually watching at the track! You get a feel for the speed, actually being at a nascar track or drag strip, but TV is still better! On the other hand, being at a pull in person is the only way to go.

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV July 05, 2012 02:47AM
Jake, you bring up a great point; I too agree that pulling is much better observed and "felt" in person and is difficult to translate on TV. If there wasn't a noise buffer for some classes, the TV speakers would probably blow up if played without editing. There is something about the noise, the smell of all fuels, and the vibrations you feel. It all adds up to "power" and feeling/hearing that power as a spectator is part of the experience.

When I took my wife to her first pull she had a couple interesting suggestions I never thought of. She said she would like to see a radar gun "clocking" how fast the machines are going down the track. Then also having a gun specifically on the drive wheels so she can see how much wheel speed they have in MPH then be able to compare them. This could be easily done with a small dialog box in a corner of the TV screen, which may draw some of the speed junkies.

I have to admit, I love the comment above ... "...get John Force to announce a tractor pull...". That would be an experience. Could you imaging that guy as a ventriloquist? You do have to love the guy for what he brings to the camera and what he has done for the sport of drag racing, a pioneer in his own right.

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV July 03, 2012 10:42AM
why is army not on tractor pulling. get him back get rid of that whinning woman.

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV July 03, 2012 01:19PM
I would rather look at her over than listening to him anytime.

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV July 03, 2012 01:26PM
Not only that, she knows ten times more about pulling than Army.
I have yet to hear her whine.

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV July 03, 2012 04:39PM
She probably knows 100 times more than you do about everything.

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV July 04, 2012 07:05AM
I can't argue with that!!

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV July 08, 2012 10:05AM
Just a few thoughts here...

Looker ater: "No hyped up voices during the pull."

- What is wrong with "hyped up voices"? I would rather have a hype-man as opposed to someone that could stand in for Bueller's Economics teacher. Not saying that Randall and Corzine are that way, but I go into more detail about that later.

Remote: "And my kids cell phone takes better video than the cameras that they use to film the show!"

- "With all due respect, and I mean 'all due respect'" I think you're full of more @#$%& than a Christmas turkey. I have YET to see a cell phone video that would even compare. Unless you like grainy and shaky video, that is. I've yet to see a cell phone used on a tripod to create a steady shot. Sure, cell phone videos are nice if it isn't a national event and you don't just don't have better equipment, but you can't tell me that they're better quality than what the NTPA is using.

Pro Stock Fan: "Ashley and Gregg are knowledgable, I'll give them that, but they sound so awkward on television. There's got to be some flow too it and maybe a little bit of excitement. Not Dick Vitale exciting, but a little more than what they do now..."

- Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the voiceovers recorded AFTER the pull? This probably doesn't help them as- far as the flow or excitement. Sure, they have time to work on it since it isn't in real time, but it has the potential to sound "canned."

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: NTPA on RFD-TV 2012 September 05, 2012 03:04AM
RFD-TV has two shows in the books now, with four classes shown. I think it is a vast improvement over last season. No fluff, nothing replayed 3 times and only a few driver interviews. And Doc Riley still has it, a wise move getting him back in the booth. The show is much better and I think Randall is better suited as a color analyst. I like this new format with getting more pulling per show, I only hope that when the shows for the Super Nationals air that we'll see the entire classes and not 10 tractors out of 30 like they've done in the past.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009