otwell sled November 16, 2010 01:14PM
the otwell superstar sled is for sale. please call 812-482-2903 or 812-639-3229.
i am going to miss seeing quite a few people and places but it is time too start a new chapter in life. getting tired of all the b/s that has been stirred up, sure does take the fun out of things. hope the crybabies can find something else to complain about with the old wore out otwell sled gone. maybe the next owner should paint it GREEN!!!!!!!

Re: otwell sled November 16, 2010 01:30PM
hate to hear that, enjoyed pulling the sled and pulling at otwell, will there be a pull at otwell any more, excellent track

henry d

Re: otwell sled November 16, 2010 04:27PM
AWWW!! I hope the old boat anchor sticks around! That was the best sled around still for seeing who really had the torque and power! I miss the old school sleds you had to drag from start to finish. The Otwell sled was more of a pulling sled than these new drag racing sleds. Best of luck in your new venture and thanks for all the good pulls and memories!

Re: otwell sled November 16, 2010 11:25PM
Gary cant blame you for getting tired of all the bs. Really hope you dont sell it and have to keep it. Just kiddn. You guys done a great job and looked forward to pulling your sled each time. Definitely a favorite with the mph guys by far. And your event at otwell every year was one i never wanted to miss. Hope you at least consider keep it going. The people who will be happy are far less than those that wont be in this situation. Best of luck in the future with whatever path your organization heads in.

Re: otwell sled November 17, 2010 05:46AM
Mother was rite. A couple of bad eggs can ruin the whole the carton. Maybe driving to another state to pull all summer will makes some happy. Thanks otwell crew for all you have done. your work has not gone un appreciated.

Re: otwell sled November 17, 2010 11:10AM
thanks for all the kind words and support. we sure tried to do our best and make no mistakes or have any breakdowns. the sled is a great machine and will make someone a good sled. i love the old torque and power pulling method and am not a fan of the current "cookie cutter sleds" if someone from around here purchases the sled i would be glad to help them for a while to learn the operation of it. i enjoyed my time with the sled and have some great memories and freinds. the bad eggs are just what i consider them and as far as all of the complaining i just consider the source. the open classes are getting extremely dangerous and out of control!!!!!!! i guess nothing will be done until somebody gets hurt!!!!!!! i am not sure of the fate of the pull at otwell as of now. the ruritan clubs support of the sled has dwindled away in the past couple of years and a personel conflict within led to my decesion in addition to recent b/s from the past year. i want to spend more time with my wife and kids and look forward to sitting in the stands and watching the local pulls and try to figure everything out. i wish all of our past customers / pullers / and promoters luck in the future and there will always be other sleds around to fill the void. maybe they will do better and be above the gutless ridicule from some that we have received recently. the otwell sled is a great sled ( safe and legal ) i have been with the organization for 17 years and we have never cheated for anyone anywhere. the rpm monitor is a fair method to monitor safety and fairness if everyone will be honest and abide by the rules. thanks aging to all that have been freinds and supporters and to the rest i hope you can find something else to bitch about.

Re: otwell sled November 17, 2010 12:23PM
Pretty big void to fill if this sled gets out of southern indiana. Lets hope something works out so that it can keep the schedule it has had in recent years. This kinda brings back memories from years back when the plainville ind lyons club stopped having pulls and got out of sled business. Some great pulls there as well as memories. I know of alot of other organizations that are having trouble keeping fresh young members to keep things going. A real shame.

Re: otwell sled November 17, 2010 12:40PM
Gary, is the Otwell sled certified? if so what level? Thanks!

Re: otwell sled November 17, 2010 04:20PM
Well, it is on uncle Larry's sled list on NTPA's site, so it is certified for NTPA.
Now the inspection info doesn't tell what level it is certified for, but when it makes the NTPA list, it is a good, well built sled. Maybe not a drag racer, but the box is on the rails correctly and has the right clutch for the level it is certified at, etc.

Re: otwell sled November 18, 2010 03:39AM
It,s a class 6 level.

Re: otwell sled November 18, 2010 12:05PM
the otwell sled is a great machine that is a ntpa certified sled that is totally legal and performs great. i hope somebody or a organization can buy it an continue to use it and hopefully work with some of our current customers. thanks again for the support and freindship to those that appreciated the services we provided over the years.

Re: otwell sled November 19, 2010 11:48AM
sorry to hear the you fellows are quitting,your sled was alot ofun to pull amd the post ahead was right about the drag and the torgue pullin it seems that the real farm tractors are the ones that really enjoy pullin tour sled,;o; it does seem to be a shame thet some people seem to cause alot of trouble ,and you are right gary it is the "same ones" to cause the trouble ,so after that i wish you the best "thanks guys"

Re: otwell sled November 20, 2010 02:11AM
thank you for your understanding and support. i know we still have some freinds and supporters out there. when something starts to be more aggrivation than fun it is time to move on. i wish everyone well and good luck. i hope the new sled owners can continue to please the ones that are pleasable and can tolerate the complainers and convince them that the ole otwell sled is a good and fair machine. this "racing" type pulling at the lower levels is going to get somebody hurt if the pullers keep ignoring the safety!!!!!!!!

Re: otwell sled November 20, 2010 10:48AM
first i would like to thank allen,gary,scott,randy,and ray for doing a good job over the years with the sled even though certain people in their area that seem to always complain about them and or the sled they seem to keep a good adittude and seem to be fun to be around and always take time to talk,evn though ray likes to talk,just remember that the people that really matter to you will always be there,thanks guys

Re: otwell sled November 21, 2010 11:46AM
i have heard the comments made about he otwell sled by nw and jw i think they might have a comment on the sled being sold,i really think the boys on the sled do a good job hats off to you boys and hope you all enjoy your time

Re: otwell sled November 21, 2010 12:18PM
hear that the hillbilly pull is looking to buy it .. dont know for sure but have heard that ..

Re: otwell sled November 22, 2010 11:43PM
All,
It has been 20 years since first time i hooked to a sled, and it was Otwell at Ferdinand, Indiana. I was their went the Hopf's donated the land and Otwell donated the sled for the Petersburg tornato releif fund in 1990. I have seen and been apart of some very good pulls that Otwell has been a part of. But I was also their when Alan LaGrand actually won a m.p.h. class but the distance meter said he didn't. I have also been their when dualed up tractors have been decided by inches because of the slam (Evansville). But they shouldn't have because of tires and weight.

This list can go on and on either way. Some of the above issue's were brought to attention of the Otwell crew and the answer was (That is how the sled it set up pull or stay home) so we pulled and supported. Yes we all have had our issues with one puller or sled of another and yet we all seem to be at that next pull. Maybe the sled needs a fresh set of eye's.

One thing I do not get is people who don't sign their name. And also where I come from you don't throw away a hole dozen eggs because of two bad ones. Gary if you can honestly state that the reason you are getting out is because of Jason and Nick then so be it, I hope it makes you sleep better at night. If you want to spend more time with the kids then great enjoy. I have 3 and would not trade one memory of one for a ride down the track.

One thing remains the same things change over time it can't stay the same forever. The sun will come up tomorrow..

Re: otwell sled November 23, 2010 10:03AM
What amazes me is some can remember exactly when and where they got wronged over the last twenty years. Whats done is done. Give it up. Only thing i hope for is that whoever buys this sled maybe just maybe people can give them a chance to do the job they have to do. And you mite even find that if the degrading comments are kept to yourself and not throw a fit every time something goes wrong or get beat that people mite actually treat you guys a little better . Makes it hard to give the benefit of the doubt when the ole history book comes out. Just try it one year and see what happens. Dont think thats too much to ask. Think you mite find the whole worlds not out to get you as much as you mite think. And best of luck to whoever purchases the sled. Alot of people will certainly help you as much as possible.

Re: otwell sled November 23, 2010 01:03PM
u said it right suggestor that is unreal how u can remember that far back to detail,let it go and enjoy pulling because the people u really enjoy pulling with will quit because of u,good luck again otwell

Re: otwell sled November 24, 2010 01:07AM
THANKS AGAIN TO ALL THAT HAVE HELPED, UNDERSTOOD, AND SUPPORTED US ALL OF THE YEARS. YES THE RECENT B/S HAS WEIGHED HEAVILY ON MY DECESION BOTH FROM YOU WEHRS, OTHERS AND INTERNALLY WITHIN THE SLED ORGANIZATION AND IF THE SLED DOES REMAIN IN THIS AREA WITH A NEW OWNER I HOPE THEY DO NOT HAVE TO HEAR THE SAME OLE B/S. I WILL SLEEP GREAT AT NIGHT, I HOPE OTHERS WILL AS WELL!!!!!!!! YOU CAN ONLY TOLERATE SO MUCH, ESPICALLY WHEN YOU ARE VOLUNTEERING FOR SOMETHING. I HAVE SOME GREAT MEMORIES TO KEEP AND HAVE MADE SOME GREAT FREINDS!!!!!!!! IF THE OLE OTWELL SLED LEAVES THIS AREA FOR GOOD I HOPE SOME PEOPLE WILL REALIZE THE GOOD WE ACTUALLY DID AND NOT TRY TO FIGURE OUT WHAT TO BITCH ABOUT NEXT!!!!!!!!!! I HOPE THE PAST CAN BE THE PAST AND EVERYBODY LEARNS AND MOVES ON AND CAN GIVE THE NEW SLED OWNERS A FAIR CHANCE. THE OTWELL SLED IS A LEGAL CERTIFIED CLASS 6 SLED THAT HAS ALWANY BEEN OPERATED FAIR!!!!!!!!!! ( REGUARDLESS OF RUMORS ) THE OPEN CLASSES ARE GETTING VERY DANGEROUS, SOMEONE WILL GET HURT UNLESS SOMETHING IS DONE!!!!!!!! PLEASE REMEMBER TO KEEP SAFETY IN MIND, FOR THE PULLERS AND THE SPECTATORS AS WELL!!!!!! I WILL BE GLAD TO HELP THE NEW SLED OWNERS OUT IN HOW TO SET UP AND OPERATE THE SLED IN ANY WAY THAT I CAN. THEY WILL FIGURE OUT WHO THEY CAN TRUST AND WHO THEY CANNOT JUST LIKE WE HAVE OVER THE YEARS!!!!!!!

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL.

Re: otwell sled November 26, 2010 08:10AM
I think the underline on all of this is- Otwell Sled has and is a great sled with a great crew.
Bad eggs or not- You all continued pulling or working on the sled because the good days out did the bad.
The pullers out there- Appreciate all your your work regardless of whether they won or not.

The sled crew has to be given a major round of applause as they have done so much work to keep the Otwell Sled in TOP condition throughout all the years and to help maintain its good reputation. Many of the passed founding members would be proud and honored to see how the sled has operated throughout the years and not dissappointed that the time has come for it to move on to a new owner.
Let the Legend Live ON!!

Re: otwell sled November 26, 2010 08:24AM
So how much is being asked for the Otwell sled? What year was it built in the late 70's early 80's?

Re: otwell sled November 26, 2010 01:14PM
Hey, Ive pulled the otwell sled before at princeton, IN and didnt win, sounds like it was Garys fault.....here all this time I thought it was my poor clutch that was shot!!! LOL!!!!

Regardless, still had a good time pulling with otwell crew.

Re: otwell sled November 27, 2010 02:36PM
thanks for all of the support and kind words!!!!!!!! nice to know there are some sensable understanding people out there!!!!!!!! i sure have quite a few great memories form the 16 years i have been with the sled!!!!!! the bad memories and the childish bitching i just file in the trash. the sled was originally built in 1976 and the asking price is $40,000. we have always tried to keep the sled in top shape but it is a macine and had a few breakdowns from time to time ( just like the trucks and tractors that pull ) glad to hear some have asense of humor and can still poke a little fun ( that is what it is all about ) when the fun stops it is time for me to stop too!!!!!!!!now i can go to the tractor pulls when i want an set in the stands , sit back and listen to the b/s and not have to worry about it!!!!!!! the sled may need a fresh set of eyes like the wehr's say but there are a few pulling tractors out there that need a fresh set of eyes and ears as well!!!!!!! thanks again for all the freindship and support from all who undestand that this is supposed to be fun right?????? hope the new sled owners and operators can wipe away all of the green tears!!!!!

Re: otwell sled November 28, 2010 10:26AM
i would like to know why nick and jason do not have any comment why do they have to have their brother talk for them,they seem to be able to slam u gary earlier this year ,ya i cannot remeber back 20 years,but i do earlier this year when they said the otwell sled was junk and run by a bunch of PIKERS they could talk trash then

Re: otwell sled November 28, 2010 01:30PM
I KNOW. I JUST CONSIDER THE SOURCE. I SURE WILL NOT MISS ALL OF THE B/S FROM THEM. I WILL MISS THE SUPPORT FROM OUR FREINDS AND PULLERS WHO REALLY UNDERSTAND THE SPORT NAD DO NOT MAKE A EFFORT TO STIR THE B/S AT EVERY EVENT!!!!!! THERE MAY NOT BE AS MANY PULLS AROUND WITH THE OLE OTWELL SLED GONE!!!!!!! I HOPE THE NEW OWNER CAN FILL SOME OF THE VOID WE LEAVE AND MAYBE THE COMPLAINERS WILL THINK A LITTLE MORE BEFORE SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION AND STIRRING HATE AND DISCONTENT!!!!!! THE SUPPORT OF THE SLED FROM THE OTWELL RURITAN CLUB HAS DWINDLED AWAY TO NOTHING. LAST YEAR WAS JUST 2 OF US RUNNING THE SLED FOR MOST OF THE SEASON AND OTHERS JUMPED IN AT THE VERY END TO HELP A LITTLE BUT IS WAS TOO LITTLE , TOO LATE. PRETTY BAD WHEN CLUB MEMBERS CANNOT EVEN HELP AT THE HOMETOWN EVENT. SURE DOES MAKE THING HARD ON THE FEW THAT DO SHOW UP TO HELP AND STILL NO APPRECIATION FOR WHAT YOU DO. ( VOLUNTEER AT THAT !!!!!! ) WISH THE OTWELL CLUB HAD THE DETERMINATION AND DRIVE LIKE THEY DO AT CELESTINE!!!!!! OH WELL AND THE GREAT ONE SAID IN A EARLIER POST, THE SUN WILL RISE TOMORROW AND THE PULLS WILL GO ON!!!!!!!!! THANKS TO ALL AND GOD BLESS!!!!!

Re: otwell sled November 28, 2010 01:34PM
So did the sled sell? If so, who bought it?

Re: otwell sled November 28, 2010 02:01PM
Turn off the caps lock please. Makes for very difficult reading. Thanks in advance

Re: otwell sled November 28, 2010 03:17PM
If it hasn't sold, why not put it in a classified? Every post from the owner is followed by a paragraph about those who complain and how great the memories are. With every sled, there are disagreements. I didn't care to pull it compared with most others, but that's just my opinion. Good luck wherever it goes...

Re: otwell sled November 29, 2010 01:11AM
Thank you for your comments.

Re: otwell sled November 29, 2010 03:56AM
Im gunna really miss the ole sled. I got my first win on the otwel sled aswell at the otwell pull. i never had a problem with the sled. i rele liked the sled and had no complaints about it. I sure hope it stays in southern indiana and hate to not be able to pull it anymore. Memories were made on that sled and i hope to make more. Thanks otwell guys for makin pulling the best it ever was.

Re: otwell sled November 29, 2010 02:37PM
the otwell sled has been sold!!!!!! i will post more details at the proper time. thanks again for the kind words and support of the old otwell sled crew and the sled.

Re: otwell sled December 02, 2010 02:24AM
Blackwell from Heltonville bought the Otwell Sled. Haven't heard if hes running the local circuit yet; but assume he will.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,762, Posts: 229,923, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,094, Posts: 226,019.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM