Converting to dry block? November 25, 2010 02:59AM
What needs to be done with my engine to running without coolant?

Re: Converting to dry block? November 25, 2010 03:11AM
more piston to wall clearance .015?? I do not know that majic # But i have run a dry block on my superfarm with out changing anything I did so beacuse the sleeves had severe leaks in to oil pan and one day just said forget it and draine drained the water out less warmup time is needed and drove off track and shut down. I ran a whole season that way. a good idea is to increase you oil pan capacity as that will help cool the engine. Run striaght 50w oil and mabey change 5-6 runs

Re: Converting to dry block? November 26, 2010 02:38AM
take all frost plugs etc out, lets heat out. is your head solid? Have heard cement will start to fall out or break, been dry for afew years no problem.

Re: Converting to dry block? November 26, 2010 10:44AM
My head is cemented full and not falling out at all no flaking or cracking now the castiron thats a differnt story its a little cracked but it is very old and expected

Re: Converting to dry block? November 26, 2010 10:50AM
so you do not have to hard block it or anything just run no water in the block or head if you wanted with no trouble?

Re: Converting to dry block? November 26, 2010 11:26AM
I'd stick with hardblok. Winking

Re: Converting to dry block? November 26, 2010 12:45PM
I have the block in mine filled w/ Hardblok, but I'm a far cry from a Super Stock or Prostock!Beer

Re: Converting to dry block? November 26, 2010 03:30PM
we run everything dry and no hard block.we run the pistons pretty loose though, .020 clearence.sure is alot nicer to work on without water.

Re: Converting to dry block? November 26, 2010 03:47PM
My thoughts might be wrong, but if you are pulling farm stock, you always want to warm the tractor for a while, so if it is a dry block, just start and go or what? What about going to the dyno? Working on it on the yard, doing a few test runs, breaking the engine in? loading and unloading? rehooks or pulloffs? Are any of these factors? I know a guy that runs SS and is thinking about changing his turbos and set up, but was talking about the radiator, just get rid of it?????

Re: Converting to dry block? November 27, 2010 01:14AM
Well I guess one advantge to a hard block is if you run NTPA and get yanked everywhere you go. But driving to the trailer not an issue any ways. warm up need less time. How do you break any thing over a farm stock? you don't go hook it to a silo blower for 12 hours you go down the track. and please tell why farm stock needs a dry block????? pulloffs should be eliminated with the floating finish. yeah the rehook is not a nice thing to do thats where luck of the draw come in you dont always win that one.

Re: Converting to dry block? November 27, 2010 02:16AM
Have no problem at dyno, still have to warm up at pulls, get compression built up heat in cylinders and can drive to scales and off track no problem

Re: Converting to dry block? November 27, 2010 02:27AM
so when you hard block the engine do you have to tear the hole thing apart or does a guy just pull the head off and go through the water ports?

Re: Converting to dry block? November 27, 2010 03:24AM
Dont think I would hard block

Re: Converting to dry block? November 27, 2010 03:31AM
I could just dump all the water out of the motor rip the radiator out and go pulling wiith a super farm tractor without doing anything else is what your saying?

Re: Converting to dry block? November 27, 2010 01:08PM
we run hard blocked head nothing in block but air and remove freeze plugs . you need more piston clearance. we ran our pistons 150 runs still looked good as new.

Re: Converting to dry block? November 28, 2010 05:52AM
what piston clearance do you recommend with factory sleeves

Re: Converting to dry block? November 28, 2010 06:28AM
I just built a dry block 540. Wondering what oil to run . Was going to run 20W-50 Cenpeco

Re: Converting to dry block? November 29, 2010 07:38AM
I would run an oil made for air cooled engine like 20-50 for Harley Davidsons motorcycles, it is made with stand very high temperature without breaking down. Good luck

Re: Converting to dry block? November 29, 2010 01:15PM
we run 4 to 5 gallon 40 weight with one gallon lucus.

Re: Converting to dry block? November 30, 2010 07:16AM
WE'VE BEEN RUNNING A DRY MOTOR FOR 7-8 YEARS. WE HAVE OUR HEADS FILLED W/HARDBLOCK BECAUSE THEY ARE SO CRACKED. THE BLOCKS ARE EMPTY WITH THE FREEZE PLUGS KNOCKED OUT. WE ALSO BLOW A 12VDC HIGH CFM SQUIRRELL CAGE FAN INTO THE WATER JACKET TO SPEED UP COOL DOWN. THAT WAS MORE FOR A FEW YEARS AGO WHEN WE RUN MULTIPLE TIMES. NOW THAT WE JUST RUN ONE CLASS, WE HARDLY USE IT ANYMORE. THE ONLY TIME WOULD BE IF WE WOULD HAPPEN TO BE IN A PULLOFF. THAT DON'T HAPPEN VERY OFTEN W/A FLOATING FINISH THOUGH. EXTRA CYLINDER CLEARANCE IS A MUST.ONE OTHER THING YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY..............WE TAPPED INTO THE OIL JOURNALS DOWN BY THE MAIN CAPS AND INSTALLED A COPPER MISTING TUBE TO COOL THE PISTONS FROM THE BOTTOM SIDE W/OIL. IT ALSO HELPS GET EXTRA LUBE TO THE CAM. JUST TAKE SMALL COPPER LINE, PINCH ONE END SHUT, DRILL A SERIES OF SMALL HOLES WITH A SMALL NR WIRE BIT IN THE COPPER LINE(S), TWIST EM AND AIM THEM WHERE YOU WANT, PUT A LITTLE OIL AND AIR PRESSURE TO THEM TO MAKE SURE IT'S DOING WHAT YOU WANT AND LET ER RIP. I THINK WE HAVE 3 OR 4 SEPARATE MISTING/FOGGER NOZZLES ON A SHORT 90 AIMED STRAIGHT UP AT THE PISTONS. THE SHORT 90'S WORK BETTER IN TIGHT SITUATIONS. WE USE AMSOIL SYN 50W RACING OIL AND USUALLY GO A WHOLE SEASON ON ONE CHANGE. KEEP THE EXCESS FUEL DRAINED OFF PLUS A LITTLE EXTRA, A QUART OR TWO; AND THEN TOP IT OFF W/FRESH. I USUALLY DO A COUPLE FILTER CHANGES TOO; DEPENDING ON HOW MANY HOOKS WE'VE HAD AND HOW MANY ARE LEFT. WE ALSO COOL THE ENGINE DOWN BY LETTING IT RUN, DRIVING IT OFF THE TRACK AND INTO THE TRAILER. MOST TIMES WE WILL DRIVE IT TO THE SCALE TO GET A LITTLE ENGINE HEAT SO THE TURBO WILL SPOOL FASTER.

Re: Converting to dry block? December 19, 2011 12:44PM
I was reading this today. A year has passed how are all the tractors doing? Whats your opinion .010 , .015 , .020, more on clearances? What kind of squirrel cage? thanks for any input. Also what would you run dome at?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,699, Posts: 229,799, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,951.

Our newest member CBeard