Ice Box December 01, 2010 06:00AM
I was wondering if cubes or flacked (snow cone) would work best in a ice box? The flacked ice will melt faster but has more surface area to cool.

Re: Ice Box December 01, 2010 08:33AM
we have found that solid cube ice works the best. the colder the better

Re: Ice Box December 01, 2010 02:09PM
The flake ice will melt to quick and won't have ice at the big end of the track where you need it. MACK

Re: Ice Box December 02, 2010 01:01AM
What are you guys putting ice on ?? Whats its benefit ??

Re: Ice Box December 05, 2010 12:18PM
Gots to be BEER !!!

Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 06, 2010 09:58AM
Oddly enough making some homemade ice cream tonight and as I was reading this post I thought about the freezing process as it relates to making homemade ice cream.

According to one web-site I looked at before making this post the lowest tempeature a water salt mixture can get is -21.1 c or -5.98 f. So using the homemade ice cream approach is it possible to add salt to the ice box and lower the temperature without screwing up the innercooler? I assume the salt rock or granulars would be an issue and would shorten or destroy existing setups but the sysem would be colder. Food for thought...lol

Now I am going to go and enjoy my bowl oc ice cream!

DPS

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 06, 2010 02:26PM
I’ve wondered about the salt water thing as well, a stainless inner cooler might be inorder.

I’ve got a little experience with an innercooler filled with glycol and dry ice on a LSS about a decade ago. I remember Jason Hootman and I just standing there in the hauler watching that pink glycol bubbling and steaming as we filled it with the dry ice for the first time, it was like a chemistry experiment gone wrong. The first time we filled was for the afternoon session the temperature outside was in the upper 80’s and it was pretty humid out. Craig Smith (who co-owned the tractor with Jason) put a blanket over the innercooler/front weight bracket to keep it "cool" and then we watched it snow under the front weigh bracket for about 20 minutes until the tractor hooked. Nothing better than watching it snow under a tractor in the summer heat!

We also learned that dry ice expands to about 500 times it's volume as it melts so we had to keep a few extra bolts out of the top of the innercooler and man did that thing sound like a tee kettle as the vapor just poured out of the bolt holes.

That was some fun low budget experimenting.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 07, 2010 03:26AM
Poor thermal transfer in stainless. Anodezied aluminum would help. Also it would probably help to think of it as removing heat rather than cooling the air. A circulating pump needs to be used so the heat pulled out as air passes the condenser can be carried away, replacing the media with more cold media so it can absorb more heat. The problem with refridgerents is the boiling point and expansion. You could always flush the condensor (after cooler) to remove any salts if it is worth the trouble of cooling to begin with.

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 07, 2010 09:46AM
If you want to lower the freezing point of your liquid couldnt you just use antifreeze instead of messing with salt? Use the biodegradable stuff and then you can dump it when you want to add more ice.

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 07, 2010 01:30PM
if u were to put winshield washer fluid in the cooler lines then filled the box with ice put salt in and ran a pump for the washer fluid thru the line and i bet that would b way colder than strait water and ice

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 08, 2010 12:31AM
And it would be breaking the rules as washer fluid contains chemicals like ethanol and ethelyne glycol.

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 08, 2010 02:41AM
We use tupperware containers to make our own ice cubes. About 4 inch X 4 inch squares. Then mix in some cubes from regular ice cube trays to fill any voids. Steam comes out from under the hood off the cooler at the end of the track and usually still have a few small cubes left over in the ice box after a pass.

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 08, 2010 07:27AM
There isnt any rule about running antifreeze in your tractor. And if you make your own ice you could saturate the water with salt before you freeze it and really lower the freezing point of it making the ice itself much much colder. Your intercooler will be at -6 degrees fahrenheit while everyone elses is at +32 degrees F . If you can control the condensation inside it you should work wonders!

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 08, 2010 07:58AM
how could the average person get something to -6,standard freezers dont go that cold.while on a tour of american breeders,they commented that thier storage area was -300,or absolute 0,it was a liquid too.put that in there instead of all these majic potions.

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 08, 2010 08:34AM
Freeze the salt water with dry ice. It should be readily available at most welding supply shops.......

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 08, 2010 11:57AM
jim,i remember now,thats what was in the storage tanks,liquid nitrogen.it was in what looked to be a plain stainless holding tank.one of the workers got a cup of it and thru it on the floor,it instantly turned to what looked to be very small bb's.they kept saying it was the coldest stuff on earth,-300 or absolute 0.

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 22, 2010 11:48AM
Patches, absolute 0 is impossible to reach, they have been very close in labs before but never absolute 0...I think .65K is the lowest "recognized" temp value

Also liquid nitrogen isn't anywhere close to absolute 0, its around 63-70K (Roughly) or roughly -330F)

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 08, 2010 08:48AM
considering your average semen storage tank relies on a vacuum between the inside tank and the outside housing for a fair bit of it's insulating qualities! why not build a charge cooler with these design qualities built right in it ,and use liquid nitrogen in place of ice! I can see some little issues such the sudden warming of the liquid as tractor heads down the track causing tank to splode unless tank had very large vent! would look kind of neat though! thanks for the idea? now only if i can build it faster then the rules can change! back to the lab! HAHAHAHA..........

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 08, 2010 09:27AM
Hey Jake! I didn't realize the official word for "bull juice" was classified as a swear word? things must be pretty uptight in your country?

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 08, 2010 01:10PM
The software comes with a predefined list of words that it censors automatically, that just happen to be one of them (I guess the software developers weren’t artificial inseminatorsWinking, if they were they could afford to pay someone else to develop the software for them!)

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 08, 2010 10:41AM
i better not see a calf maker tank on the front of that ford cuz thats cheating,on second thought hmmm let someone else do it first cuz it probably wont work anyway lol

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 08, 2010 12:17PM
Well lets consider this. When the local chemists decide they need more ingredients they come by my NH3 wagons at night. What they use is grandmas old pressure cooker. So why couldnt a person rig up one of these with some NH3 in it. The pressure relief valve would vent the pressure. By the way dont try to buy a pressure cooker at any garage sales in central Iowa the chemists have already been there.

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 08, 2010 09:51PM
I believe you are talking anhydrous, while capable of freezing things as it is released, but also very dangerous as in causing many serious injuries to careless handlers every year! Liquid nitrogen is regarded to be quite safe, while it can cause serious frost bite ,it is still quite safe after it vaporizes into a gas. leave anhydrous for it.s original purpose, building runways in the jungle!

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 09, 2010 11:48AM
jim, ok please explain I must be to young I thought agent orange was used to clear jungles not Nh3.

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 09, 2010 12:30PM
Anhydrous was used to make runways in the jungle because in very high rates it compacts the dirt thus making a firm runway very quickly. They were using quite a bit more then what gets put on now for agricultural use. Also making runways not the first thing it was widely used for, during WWI the Germans used it for making explosives

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 09, 2010 01:48PM
Ok. nh3 absorbs h20 like when it gets on skin, eyes or wet swamp. Thanks

Re: Lower the temperature - thinking way oustide the box December 11, 2010 08:32AM
What's the need for adding salt, or substituting in other chemicals into the innercooler. I know of a tractor that runs 85+ pounds of boost with intake temps at right around 100 degrees. Which is plenty cool enough, and thats just with good old water and ice.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,643, Posts: 229,709, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520