ac engines December 01, 2010 06:57AM
got the new wheels of time magazine off dad today ,and in it is a pretty good article about ac engines that were available in heavy trucks.the article states that they were painted purple and named"big al".also were the most powerful at that time at 450 hp.also states that the 301,426,516,were available in both na and turbocharged form.pretty good reading if your an ac fan.

Re: ac engines December 01, 2010 12:56PM
where can a person find this mag? Just had a conversation about the 844 truck engines. Thanks for sharing.

Re: ac engines December 01, 2010 01:08PM
it was real good reading about that had no idea that ac had a engine in a truck. the 516 was a industrial engine. dad has 2 of then one in a grader and one in a wheel loader. i think that is also the engine they put in the gleaner n7. does anyone no where i can find a semi with a ac engine in it that is for sale.

Re: ac engines December 01, 2010 02:48PM
the magazine is called"wheels of time" it is published by the "aths",antique truck historical society.it is a monthly publication.im sure they have a web site.the featured truck resides in the next county west of me,have seen it many times pulling the trailer full of farm toys at canfield fair.talked to dad tonight about them,he only recalls the 844 being used,and at that time service seemed to be the downfall.wouldn't it be neat to find a pickup wirth a 301 in it.also the 844 was a 3 valve head"shos a pic of it too"...i wonder if noble harrison was involved,since it was the"highest horsepower truck engine" of that time period....

Re: ac engines December 01, 2010 02:54PM
My brother gets the "Wheels of time", great article, said it had some issues with reliaility, but back then they all did except maybe the K 19, or better known as the 1150 Cummins.

Re: ac engines December 01, 2010 03:04PM
articles I read stated the 844 were known as "rear end thrashers", especially in logging, back roads applications---seems like they were in late 60's models???

Re: ac engines December 01, 2010 03:41PM
i think it said they were available till the mid 70's,my dads old kw is sitting in my garage with a kta in it,seems like everey summer local semi pullers try to aquire it off dad,but he stands firm,says he will keep his part of legendary steel hauling safe and sound.

Re: ac engines December 02, 2010 08:35AM
where can you find this article online to read

Re: ac engines December 02, 2010 11:04PM
There were very few put in trucks back in the mid 70's. Most came out due to crank and
block failure after the pump could be turned up to nearly 700HP!
My dad has been collecting those engines in hope to find a truck to put one in at some point.
He has 3 or 4 complete engines out of trucks. Late last summer we bought a 1974 W900 Kenworth
which originally came with the engine. Maybe one day it will run again.

Brent Payne

Re: ac engines December 08, 2010 05:46AM
I know of an old corn hauler Dodge with one of these motors , old fella just keeps hammerin away with it , he,s got it turnin bout 500 hp with a 13 speed , nice ole Dodge

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,783, Posts: 229,968, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,048.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009