Connecting Rods December 16, 2010 12:27PM
What connecting rods are the Best for Heavy super diesel 3 charger or 4 charger small bore4.3 and 4.625 bore?

Re: Connecting Rods December 16, 2010 12:44PM
hyper serrated, you could even try and stick the 5/8 bolt ones in the 4.3

Re: Connecting Rods December 17, 2010 01:19AM
What is a serrated rod?

Re: Connecting Rods December 17, 2010 02:45AM
hyper has rods that uses "serrations" to help tie the cap to the rod when bolted together. almost like to jigsaw pieces fitting together. They use this on their heavy rods for ss and pro applications.

Re: Connecting Rods December 17, 2010 03:08AM
you should consider looking into billet rods, what hyper gets for his rods you may want explore some other options lemke, riverside, colberg and cunningham would be a good start... I have seen new rods from hyper with the tiger jaw that needed to be sized when the customer recieved them, in short make sure you are getting what you paid for. Just trying to help!

Re: Connecting Rods December 17, 2010 09:04AM
forged is better than billet that is why they are more expensive and if they didn't fit I'm sure jerry would send you a new one

Re: Connecting Rods December 17, 2010 09:35AM
Why do you say forged are better then billet and can you prove it if they really are?

Re: Connecting Rods December 17, 2010 09:39AM
can't recall seeing many billet wrenches in my time!Drinking

Re: Connecting Rods December 17, 2010 09:59AM
I've got a awful lot of bent wrenches in my tool box.

Re: Connecting Rods December 17, 2010 10:04AM
wrenches are alot different from a connecting rod, billet rods are better in my opinion. billet rods are machined out of a solid piece of tool steel then heat-treated, forged rods are like what comes out of any factory engine. (much easier to produce)

Re: Connecting Rods December 17, 2010 10:55AM
hypers rods are forgings which means the grain structure follows the shape of the rod rather than straight through the plate as in a billet. Now here is the key with billet parts... billet parts have the capability of being of higher strength than a forged part. But it depends on what kind of steel the part is made from since most billet and forged rods are made from the same material the forging would be stronger because of the grain structure.

Re: Connecting Rods....how about pistons? December 17, 2010 11:12AM
Thoughts on forged pistons vs billet?

Re: Connecting Rods....how about pistons? December 17, 2010 11:46AM
Eric

I like Cunningham rods. Hypers are heavier, and it isn't needed on a 3 charger super, and I doubt you need them on a 4 charger super. The only thing that sucked about Cunningham is it takes 8 weeks minimum to get them, but they have a very nice rod.

Eric
No Limit MFG

Re: Connecting Rods December 17, 2010 11:41AM
thank you! have said pretty much what I wanted to say before a herd of cows interrupted me! forging only makes economical sense on large numbers,I don't think there is anyone eccentric enough to set up a forging line for one off lengths used in tractor pulling applications .

Re: Connecting Rods December 24, 2010 05:59AM
What works great is making the Billet parts out of the Steel used to make the Forging Dies used to form the steel. I would think a good set of Billet rods (6) would cost thousands because of the steel price. What also works is Heat Treating the Factory Forged Alloy steel rod. I have found that all rods are not the same. You can take a set of 6 rods out of a stock engine, Heat Treat all 6 at the same time, and 2 rods may change size so bad they can't be used. This tells me that there was something wrong with the rod before heat treat. Maybe cracked? Bent? junk steel ?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,644, Posts: 229,711, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,904.

Our newest member JD_8520