sheetmetal housings December 21, 2010 07:47AM
I did a quick search, but I didn't come up with much in regard to my question.

I am building a FWD and am looking to put my H172 on a diet. Reducing rotating weight via a spool and aluminum hubs is on my list, but I'm also looking at possibly fabbing up a sheetmetal housing. Has anyone compared the weight of a sheetmetal housing to the stock unit? A ballpark figure is all I'm looking for right now until I can get mine torn down.

Thanks.

Re: sheetmetal housings December 21, 2010 08:22PM
If you narrow your 172 housing and put 106 stubs on it and put a lighter rear cover on it, you won' be far off from a sheetmetal rear. Then you can use 106 hubs which aren't much heavier than alum ones. You could check with Barker Chassis, he could tell you the weight difference.

Re: sheetmetal housings December 22, 2010 04:59AM
I'd put the 172 stubs on a SQHD rear with aluminum drop out, (172 stubs allow larger OD shaft), make it narrow as you can and get aluminum hubs, offset rear wheels just enough to clear frame rails and live with it (weight wise) and not need to fix it.
Look for the SQ out of an old Chevy tandem, the housings are a tad thinner.

Re: sheetmetal housings December 22, 2010 08:10AM
I was looking for an SQHD for quite some time, but I was not coming up with much that didn't cost two arms and a leg. This H172 sort of fell into my lap.

I've done some more reading, and I'm leaning toward just narrowing the stock housing and putting the lightweight parts in it.

Re: sheetmetal housings December 22, 2010 01:28PM
That would probably be your best bet anyway.
FIRST thing to buy is the spool, do NOT jack around welding up the spiders, besides, if you are worrying about the weight, the spool loses some rotating weight and is tons stronger than the cast diff parts with welded spiders.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,644, Posts: 229,710, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520