Pic-Old Tractor Pull Flyer Pleasant Hill,Illinois Thurs Aug 21,1969 December 30, 2010 09:01AM

Here is an old tractor pull flyer (darn mice-was out in a shed) for the Pike County Fair pull held at Pleasant Hill,Illinois on Thursday August 21,1969.I and my younger brother got up early that morning and made the 300+ mile drive over from western MO.We took Dads 1967 Ford Ranger pickup and probably ran just a little over the speed limit.

We had been going to pulls for 6 years and this was the most impressive pull that we had ever seen.We got to see our first ever hot rod tractors there.I have 12-13 pictures from there and most have been on here at one time or another but a few havent.I have the results written down somewhere.

I think the McKinnons had 1 and 2 tractors entered per class that day.I know that Barns won 1-2 classes with the Red Bone Coon Skinner 1206 which I sure would love to have a picture of.

We spent the night in the pickup and drove home the next day.While on the way to the Half Century Of Progress Show iat Rantoul,ILL in Aug 2009 I couldnt help but turn south on Hwy 96 at Atlas,ILL and go down to Pleasant Hill to remember what it was like 40 years earlier.I even went and sat in the bleachers for a few minutes.

Am I the only one on here that attended that pull? You younger guys really missed out on some great times.

Re: Pic-Old Tractor Pull Flyer Pleasant Hill,Illinois Thurs Aug 21,1969 December 30, 2010 09:44AM
BG-IH you were not the only one there that day. We used to go every year to thepull and used to sit in the same place. Like you I have had to go down to the fairgrounds and check everything out. Almost did again this fall our son lives Virginia Il. and it was all I could not to turn and go to Pleasant Hill.

Re: Pic-Old Tractor Pull Flyer Pleasant Hill,Illinois Thurs Aug 21,1969 December 30, 2010 01:42PM
Well,so far its just you and me.Maybe the others dont want to admit that they are getting older.I was 20 in 1969.It Must have been fun going to the Pleasant Hill pull every year.I used to pull a Wards and bought parts off the Hill brothers from Pleasant Hill.They pulled the Fire Bug Wards tractors.

Re: Pic-Old Tractor Pull Flyer Pleasant Hill,Illinois Thurs Aug 21,1969 December 30, 2010 02:37PM
I remember the out step on sleds. Seems like the pull wouldn't start until all of the chairs were filled. Pleasant Hill was the first place I saw a mechanical sled. Seems like the operator had to hold a big lever to keep it in gear for the box to move forward and may have even been riding in the box as it whent forward.

Re: Pic-Old Tractor Pull Flyer Pleasant Hill,Illinois Thurs Aug 21,1969 December 31, 2010 12:38AM
I dont remember where the sled was from we used, here in central Iowa, but it was belt drive. The operator held a big over center lever with a pulley against the belt causing the box to move up. He would release it at end of pull and gravity would let box roll back down. I could never believe nobody got killed on step on sleds because by 9:00pm everyone was drunk falling down getting on and off lol.

to BG-IH December 31, 2010 01:12AM
Just wanted to let you know how much ived enjoyed the old pictures youve posted over the years on this and other forums.If you look other motorsports such as nascar,drag racing etc the most exciting times or the golden age so to speak happen in the first 10 years and i feel pulling is the same way.Again thanks for taking the time to post this material.

Re: to BG-IH December 31, 2010 02:33AM
Thanks.Its been fun being around pulling since 1964 and to see how the sport has evolved.The 1960's-70's were sure some fun times.I still have about 75 more old pictures to post and thats going to be it if I cant find anymore.I'm afraid lots have became lost over the years and one pack got ruined..I just wish I had taken the camera with me more often.I'll bet I went to the Kansas State fair pull 10 times in the 1970's-80's and never took a picture.

If anyone wants to see stuck combine pictures I have some at the ytmag.com combine forum.

Re: Pic-Old Tractor Pull Flyer Pleasant Hill,Illinois Thurs Aug 21,1969 June 27, 2012 03:10AM
I realize this thread is almost 2 years old, but is anyone still paying attention to it? Do you have any old pictures of back in those days from P Hill?

Thanks!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,957, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,040.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009