Duramax / Hauler Question December 30, 2010 01:02PM
I'm looking at used Chevy C4500 crewcab with 250,000 miles. What kinda miles will a Duramax last? How about the Allison transmissons? Anyone else using a C4500 or C5500 as a hauler? Thanks for the help!

Re: Duramax / Hauler Question December 31, 2010 03:17AM
I just recently traded off an '02 Duramax that had 300,000 miles on it....tranny and engine were both still going strong, and had never been apart....This combo, with proper maintainance should last for 400,000+ miles....I've seen a couple with over 500,000 miles still running.....hope this helps....

Re: Duramax / Hauler Question December 31, 2010 04:20AM
Check out the www.thedieselpage.com. They say it is a 300,000 + mile engine. No engine is perfect, but the D-Max is a very good engine with lots of good well made parts. You have very good odds that that truck will run for a long time. If you end up one of those 1 out of 100 and it pukes well then you won't be happy. One thing I can tell you is change that spin on filter on the Allison and always run the Trans syn TS295 synthetic in the Allison. Now other oil companies can sell it. Change it every 50,000 mile. The Allison guy gave us a presentation at work and said you never have to change the filter in the pan. If that is getting plugged it is too late anyway. You should be "good to go". You could buy one with 50k on it and die too. You never know.

Re: Duramax / Hauler Question December 31, 2010 04:36AM
Where do I find that transmission oil? Is that a GM part number? I have a 2005 3500 and would like for it to be my last truck I ever buy.

When I had the transmission serviced at a dealer, the spin on filter was left loose. When I got home, (about 35 miles) it was already 2 quarts low so I tightened the filter and topped it off. Now, I use a different dealer.

Re: Duramax / Hauler Question December 31, 2010 07:22AM
I am almost positive it is TS-295. Castrol made it for Allison under the Trans-syn name. The patent or what ever has run out now and anybdoy can make it. I belive Mobile is making it under the Delvac line. Go to any big truck dealer they will have it or know what it is. Not cheap. May be able to find it online. A local oil dist. would know right away what you are talking about. I run it in my d-max and all my Buicks. I don't know if GM sells a synthetic version of dextron whatever number they are up to now. They must, but it will cost more than even a big truck dealer I bet. I see GM gets over $10 a gallon for DEF for the new d-maxes. I worked for a company that made parts for Allison. I can say few other companies held subcontactors to the standards Allison does. They were so into quality before. Allison has been sold to a rather large evil company. I have not heard anything bad yet or that the mindset of Allison has changed. The Allison reps come to work a few times a year. He says that tranny in my truck will last forever if you change the oil and do not put more than 400hp and 800ftlbs to it. Mine is a 01 and they have improved new ones so they can take more.

Re: Duramax / Hauler Question December 31, 2010 12:26PM
Kinda depends on what the truck's been used for. In a pickup that does some towing and some empty running, I'm sure 300,000+ wouldn't be a problem if proper care was given. You said hauler- that engine wasn't designed to tow 30 or 40 thousand pounds every day. My 6.4 Ford puts out over 350hp, and I've been very happy with it, but the 215hp 8.3 Cummins in my Freightliner will out tow it cuz that's what it's supposed to do. I've talked to a few Hotshot haulers that use pickups daily on large goosenecks, and the busy ones trade them every year at about 100,000 to prevent breakdowns. They understand what a pickup motor was designed to do. I'm sure there are 300,000 mile pickups out there that have never unhooked from the trailer (especially Dodges), but I would think that would be pushing your luck.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,758, Posts: 229,918, Members: 3,336.
This forum: Topics: 37,093, Posts: 226,017.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM