Pic-856 IH Running Down The Pace Tractor In The 6 MPH Days January 01, 2011 09:33AM

This picture had been lost for years and I just found it.It should have went with the Rich Hill brush pull pictures that I put on a couple of days ago.

Heres Paul Godfrey from South Greenfield,MO pulling at Rich Hill,MO in 1969.This was a real high horsepower tractor for my area and it pretty much ruled the 12,000 lb class in 1968-69-70.To make it halfway safe a 6 mph pace tractor was used for the walk on sleds.

By the late 1960's most every class had a tractor or two that was capable of running 8-12 mph.They had several that could run 6 mph and you had lots that only ran 3-4 mph.What you did was kind of dog it until 200 ft and then you cranked it open to try and have the pace tractor caught by the time you hit the end of the track.With a high horse tractor you knew that you were going to get in to a pulloff,and sometimes it went to a second pulloff to get a winner.

Heres Paul running down Harris Pyeattes 9000 lb 1100 Massey puller which was being used as the pace tractor.By the time the tractor got to 250 ft or past it was hard to get on the sled at 6-10 mph as it was getting full.One night Paul let a friend pull his 856 at Bolivar,MO.He dogged it and then came down the track 10-12
mph.Lots couldnt get on the sled but I jumped and made it.The trouble is I jumped right against a very hot manifold on the tractor that was being used for weight.I got a real nasty burn.And yes one night at a pull 30 miles from me a person got under a walk on sled and it wasnt pretty.He did live.

Mechanical sleds came to my area in 1971 but we still had an 8 mph pace tractor for a few years before we finally turned them loose.

Re: Pic-856 IH Running Down The Pace Tractor In The 6 MPH Days January 01, 2011 09:44AM
I guessing by all the posting of pics the parts for your tractor have not came in. Just kidding i really liked the pic of the Kieths and AF i had never seen the tractors before. I have heard a lot about them. Keep up the good work

Re: Pic-856 IH Running Down The Pace Tractor In The 6 MPH Days January 01, 2011 11:01AM
Hi D Pro.No parts yet.Maybe I shouldnt have tried pulling an orange alky burner.I do have some more local pictures from the good old days.Its only a little over 4 months until pulling season.It will be fun seeing John S on his new toy.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,768, Posts: 229,934, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM