Gordyville thoughts January 16, 2011 05:18PM
Not trying to stir the pot,I think Klint and his crew do a great job,But I am just wondering if anyone wonders has Gordyville gotten to big for the building?

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 12:20AM
I could do without the gas tractors. No need for NA or hot rod tractors. There are all kinds of antique pulls for that kind of thing. Maybe limit a tractor can only pull in 2 classes. Still the best pull you can go to.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 01:36AM
If they are going to run gas tractors in the building, maybe they need to have a smoke pipe also. Just because they don't put out any smoke doesn't mean they are not hurting the environment inside the building with insulation falling from the ceiling and burning noses and eyes.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 02:23AM
I agree with WI farmer!!!! this a smoke show, not a walk down memory road!

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 02:26AM
So let me get this straight, there are a couple dozen classes of diesel tractors, most of which pull multiple times and unless you know exactly who is pulling the average person would have no idea where one class ends and another begins. And you could do without 17 NA/Hot Rod tractors?? Give me a break, its one of the most enjoyable classes the whole weekend. Some of us enjoy spark plugs and watching a class with something other than JDs and Case IH's. If you dont like it go get a beer and leave those of us who like it alone.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 12:53AM
IF "you're not trying to stir the pot" then DON'T stir the friggin' pot. Get a life and go do something constructive!!!

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 02:12AM
Heck I'm not going to stir the pot I'm going to just say and be done with it. I feel like all the pulling equipment exhaust should be going out the smoke tube. I'm not sure if the alky fumes would be safe going out the tube? I know in Louisville it gets petty bad when they run without the tube. I've seen people have to leave the building because of the fumes. Have anyone notice the indoor pulls in Europe don't appear to be running a smoke tube but they are in some way catching the smoke & fumes. Anyone know what they are doing?????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2011 02:12AM by farmall puller.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 03:36AM
Your right, if there are things you don't like then don't go. I saw a full house on Friday so I'm sure it won't kill them to lose a spectator or two. Same goes for louisville, too many complainers. If you like tractorpulling or take part in the sport you look past some problems because there are a lot of people and hard work that goes into these pulls. I appreciate the these two pulls very much.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 03:44AM
Personally I thought it was a great show, but I did get tired of seeing some of the tractors pull over and over and over. The NA class could be a good one if they would set the sled up right. A Hagar sled is very hard to start and kills those tractors. Everything seems to run smooth though. My only thought is: Some of the officials need to loose the ATTITUDE, I know they are working for beans, but they need to be brought down a notch or two. Klint included!!!! This is pull to go to every once in a while, but I doubt I'll be back in the near future.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 04:06AM
I thought the NA class was a nice change of pace. I'm not a huge fan of car engine pulling but I thought it was just the right amount.

I also agree with the hitch hole problem. Everybody who scaled a tractor had to have noticed the cutting torch sitting right there. All it'd take is to not get an attitude problem, drive back there and fix the problem, then make your hook. Throwing a hissy fit solves nothing.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 04:21AM
What I'm uh wunnerin' is........................IF there was a torch RIGHT BY THE SCALE, and IF everyone went across the scale, and IF there was someone AT THE SCALE CHECKING HITCHES, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY IN THE HELGA didn't the problem get CAUGHT RIGHT THERE??????????????????????

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 10:55AM
the antique pullers had a bad time huh,the way i saw it hagers sleds are not hard to start,the smoke machine would add some weight to the pan,the way all the real pullers flew down the track I think a garden tractor sled would be more apporate for this class sorry seat warmer but the sled was as light as possable no weights at all and some of them did make it to the pile. Wheir else you gonna see that much pulling for the money.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 02:57PM
Ya know what kiss my a$$ you arrogant bastard!!! I didnt realize that in order to be a "real puller" I had to be able to write a check to riverside or hypermax so they could build my motor and I could bring it home bolt it into my cookie cutter 7820 or 1066. If thats what you want to do fine but dont tell me that those of us that like to do somthing different arent "real pullers"

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 03:14PM
First, calm down, some people like your class and some don't, different strokes for different folks, that's what makes the world great. Consider defending your class with some valid arguments instead of off the cuff name calling, you'll be a better rep/proponent for you class and you'll sway more people in your favor instead of looking like a hothead that couldn't move the sled.

I don’t think there’s much debate that the NA combo class was the worst class of the weekend. I sat with a puller from the class and even he commented that the show was terrible for their class this year. Unfortunately it was by far the worst class of the entire event, but still better than sitting at home typing about pulling.

Should they be back next year? I definately think they should. There are some great running tractors in that class and they bring a great deal of variety to the event. They can (and have) put on a great shows in the past. It was a case of bad luck for some and not updating to the “new” hook size/hitch hole size for others. I still believe there’s potential in the class and there are some who managed to make some pretty respectable passes.

I’m actually in the planning process for writing an opinion article regarding the NA class, so look for that in the next few weeks.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 18, 2011 09:28AM
Sorry to lose my cool, I just resent not being considered a "real puller" I dont buy anything from Riverside. I appreciate your support and look forward to your thoughts on the class. The NA class was better other years, there was a lot of breakage and tractors not ready yet this year.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 18, 2011 12:34AM
There is no place for NA in non antique tractor pulling. Turbos are what makes pulling and makes it different from antique pulling. I never want to go to an antique pull and I do not want to go to a non antique pull and see antiques. That is my nice way of putting it. Not what I was thinking. There are so many antique pulls why do you feel the need to infilltrate the rest of pulling.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 18, 2011 12:44AM
Perhaps the NA class has done a very poor job of marketing itself if you believe that they are just antiques. Speaking for one of the competitors in that class, his engine is as high tech as anything else that ran there this weekend. Diesel head poured solid with cast iron, swtiched to spark, big cubes for what the block is, tuned exhaust headers, distributorless ignition, tons of billet goodies to make it wind up that high. Yes his is carbureted, but he just built an NA Oliver with fuel injection and I can't help but wonder how long until he does it, too. In lots of motorsports there are all-motor classes and power-adder classes. There's a place for both in pulling, too. That's just one machine in the class. They are light-years beyond antique and probably should be better marketed as to what's going on there.

Hour after hour of chirping chargers has a way of make me jaded, too. That's probably why I miss the original DuQoin so much because trucks and mods were part of the show.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 18, 2011 01:00AM
It can be high tech or whatever still an antique to me. There is a place for all pulling, but keep it seperate. Do you think most of the people there that are in to diesels and bigger tractor pulling want to watch that kind of pulling. NO they don't. There is the few that like to see it but not many. I over heard many comments about the v-8s and non were good. The people that go to this pull are plain and simple into turbos. Just like the na and v-8 pullers came just for the time they pulled and got out of there as soon as they could. They didn't want to watch the big tractors any more than the bid tractor guys wanted to watch the NAs and v-8s. It is not what the core fans of Gordyville want to see.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 18, 2011 02:54AM
Maybe you shouldn't address it as all core fans, i myself love the n/a tractors not so much the v-8's but in a combo class it would be fine by me , as for the class at g'ville maybe you should have watched it instead of complaining, dobbs cummin for nothin has a turbo so there goes that theory. I have always appreciated the subtle differences between classes but I have sat and listened to several people at gordy ask when one class ended and the next began because the tractors looked the same. I still think there is room for all and if you think the n/a belong at an antique pull go to one with those tractors and you will find they are told to go to the other shows where they belong.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 18, 2011 03:08AM
ol George,

I'm with you, a good NA tractor class can be awesome to watch, count me as a fan.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 18, 2011 07:00AM
Discounting the quality of their ability to perform or believing that there is a lack of technology in the N/A and antique classes is foolish. I've talked to too many antique and N/A pullers in the last year to believe anything different. Theres a wealth of antique and N/A guys out there with as much billet swinging in their crankcases as any high horsepower class. I agree with George and Jake on the quality of the N/A class and the quality of the equipment involved. CPR mentioned the fuel injected Oliver, wished that tractor could have been part of the show in Gordy after seeing it run exhibition at Corunna late last year, that tractor has lots of potential for sure. I am glad Klint has kept the N/A class in the equation for the Gordy event and hope it maintains a spot in the show for years to come.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 18, 2011 03:41AM
I've been around pulling for many-many years and really enjoy the NA tractors.Theres lots of variety there.I'd sure rather see them than a bunch of JD and IH Super Farms.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 18, 2011 06:38AM
Mr NA, with what respect, if any, may be due, you are one person doing a lot of talking for a lot of people other than yourself. While you are certainly entitled to your opinion and your own personal likes/dislikes, I completely disagree that the core fan base of the Gordyville show is there to EXCLUSIVELY see smoke and nothing else. Rather, I submit that it is the variety of different classes of competition that can be seen for one price of admission that makes the winternationals the draw that it is, and that includes the na and v8 hotrod classes. That said, these are not my favorite classes, but I enjoyed watching them nonetheless, as they provided some much needed contrast to the event. Entry level pullers are still pullers, and I think it's great that the winternationals provided a means by which these guys could compete on a larger stage in front of a big crowd.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 18, 2011 06:54AM
In my opinion, anybody that thinks entry level classes have no place at a large event are thinking backwards. What better way to attract new competitors than to showcase everything the sport has to offer, especially those classes that are within the means of the average joe? Remember, every superstar was once an opening act.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 18, 2011 07:18AM
As far as a entry level class how about a Farm Stock class (11,000), we go as fast if not faster, 12-14 mph, than the NA or V8 tractors.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 02:40PM
What are you talking about. The tech guys and flag guys were great all weekend. "Brought down a notch" WTF Those guys are hounded for three days strait, people in the way all the time around the track and back in the pits, its a wonder they don't blow thier cool every 10 minutes. I was talking to the big fellow and Klint Friday while they were teching my tractor and sampleing the water, and five different pullers came up and asked for 5 different things. They were patient and gracious to each one of them. You need to pay a little more attention to what is going on in your area, IN THE BLEACHERS!!! and leave these guys alone!!!

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 04:04AM
this year was my son and i first visit to the pull.after much debate on our trip home we concluded that this could have been the best pull we have been to.we are both fans of tractors,and enjoy watching all brands and classes,and are not biased tworad any.wwe thought the variety of classes was great,and loved the smaller cuin tractors that were included.we thought the way the tractors were brought onto the track and removed looked very organized,and the pace was extremely well.altho we decided to make the trip late wed night,it was well worth the 500 mile drive and will positively go next year.we would like to thank klint and the entire staff for a great weekend of pullin.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 04:21AM
I too get tired of the same tractors going down the track, but you got to remember thats what pays the bills, i like the pro stocks pulling early in the evening, maybe move the 95 limited pros up earlier in the finals, their to good to leave to the end.....

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 09:16AM
Having just had an opportunity to unwind from the trip home I had a chance to reflect on the 2011 Gordyville event. I thought that this years Gordyville show was one of the best shows that they have put on. Klint and Company have perfected the art of indoor pulling. On the ride on I was looking thru my photos and noticed that the time between hooks averaged about 4 minutes. Not bad when you consider that vehicles are hooked, pulled, unhooked and removed in such a short amount of time. I think in large part it’s due to several factors.

One is the flagmen at the finish line dedication to removing vehicles off the track in an effort to keep the show moving at a fast pace. {Other events indoor and out should take note of the importance of moving vehicles on and off the track in a fast and efficient manner}.

Second is the sled operator, sled owner/operator Dave Hager always provide not only great sled setting hook after hook and class after class but also a smoke machine that keeps the Gordyville facility virtually diesel smoke free.

Third is the pullers themselves, most, if not all realize the number of vehicles that need to hook and the time schedule that needs to be maintained mandates that tractors hook, pull, and get off the track as quickly as possible.

I thought that announcers Miles Krieger and Art Downs did a great job of keeping the fans informed of distances and vehicle information. Miles is becoming one of the new “voices” in the sport today, his delivery and knowledge of the sport keeps the fans interested and excited hook to hook.

Another Gordyville Event and another great pull!

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 11:27AM
I agree with Mr. Morgan, This was an awesome show, I was at each session except Thurs night. For the amount of iron to go down the track it goes very fast and seems organized from the seats. I will be back next year and each year i go more of my friends come with since they hear how fun it is.

My only complaint which is actually two is this: If people want reserved seats they should buy a VIP box on the floor not spread a frickin blanket out over 4-5 seats and duct tape it down and then dont watch half the pull or ANY OF IT. I saw multiple times empty blankets on bleachers and people walking around them looking for a place to seat. The other part of this is the waiting outside in the cold to get into the night sessions. I understand they want to clean out the potty but if people are going to "reserve" seats like in high school the other people who get the early and stand out in the cold should be able to pick the seat they want. I just wonder when someone will snap and take off a blanket on the bleachers and then the guy finally shows up with his diaper bag of beers on no more seat could be BAD! Thanks for the place to blow some steam. Still a great pull.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 11:40AM
Those people who put there blanket down did get there early to get that seat. I guess they got there before you did. They paid for that seat if they are sitting there all the time or not. Paid just as much as you did. They are long shows. Some people need to move around a little and may take a little walk during a class they do not care for. After 6 hours you may need to use the restroom and don't want to find a new seat. I have seen very little of what you are saying. Yes some hog the spot and don't use it, but not very many. I have been there every show since the pull started. More people go to this pull to watch tractor pulling than any other event. It is somewhat a social event and drinking. Most are there to see the pull. I guess some came to watch the packer game. Found that a little odd. Some of the best prostocks in the country were running and people were watching a football game.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 01:27PM
From where I sat, the event ran pretty well. It was my first time there and to be completely honest I expected to walk into a barn with all dirt floors and bleachers thrown in from the comments made on here in the past, and I was pleasantly surprised to see a well lit building with lots of concrete and good seating for fans. It stayed comfortable in the building the whole time, even with some temps in the teens at times. It was a true grassroots pulling atmosphere and I really liked that aspect of it. What action I was able to take in was good, the show moved along well and the quality of the iron was exceptional. I won't comment on the the LSS tire deal because I dont think I have enough info to broadcast an informed opinion. All I know is the video is pretty scary looking and by the Grace of God no one was hurt.

Thanks to Klint and the Whatssmokin crew for a great event.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 11:52AM
I love Gordyville it my favorite pull of the year,But a guy has to wonder if the pros and the super stocks arent to dangerous for the cramped quarters I would just feel terrible if sombody were to get hurt or even worse.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 18, 2011 07:01AM
Now Mr. Morgan lets not forget about the amazing track crew that keeps those Massey's and packer wide open all weekend! I kept track and there was only a hand full of times this weekend that the tractor was hooked to the sled and ready to roll by the time we got off the track! Smiling

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 18, 2011 07:45AM
My hats off to the track crew and the job you done,you guys were the unsung heroes.Although we were takin bets if you guys were going to collide midtrackBeer

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 18, 2011 08:37AM
Thank you very much! You don't know how much we appreciate to hear the compliments. That's the main thing that motivates us to do what we do. We strive to have the best and equal track conditions for each competitor and to keep the show moving along in a timely manner. You know the three of us were actually talking about that this weekend! In the 4 years that we have been a team together working on the track the 2 scraper guys have bumped scrapers only once! LOL.

Re: Gordyville thoughts-- My apology to the track crew!Thumbs Up January 18, 2011 08:51AM
I do owe a HUGE apology to the Gordyville track crew. All during the show Jake and I kept talking about what a great job they did keeping the track smooth and tractors hooked and unhooked in a fast and efficient rate, and yes even the roller guy!

Re: Gordyville thoughts-- My apology to the track crew!Thumbs Up January 18, 2011 09:15AM
Haha I was just messing with ya Dick! But thanks for the kind words! It was nice to visit with you all weekend!

Re: Gordyville thoughts-- My apology to the track crew!Thumbs Up January 18, 2011 10:53AM
The packer driver is a cheater, lol. Don't get in a pulling pool with him, lmao!!! Grinning

J R
Eastern Extreme Pulling
www.easternextremepulling.com
EEPPULLINGVIDEOS

Pro Pulling Magazine
Hook Magazine

Re: Gordyville thoughts-- My apology to the track crew!Thumbs Up January 19, 2011 12:02AM
Haha now JR I wish that were true! Lol But I never even won one of the pots! LMAO

Re: Gordyville thoughts-- My apology to the track crew!Thumbs Up January 19, 2011 12:44AM
Cool

J R
Eastern Extreme Pulling
www.easternextremepulling.com
EEPPULLINGVIDEOS

Pro Pulling Magazine
Hook Magazine

Re: Gordyville thoughts-- My apology to the track crew!Thumbs Up January 22, 2011 08:07AM
Thought that everything ran pretty smooth. Good class transitions and track tendering. Nothin a little bud light can't take care of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2011 08:09AM by Champ.

Re: Gordyville thoughts-- My apology to the track crew!Thumbs Up January 18, 2011 01:22PM
I was more worried one of you was going to flip the Massey over when you made the turn at half track. Several times there was air underneath the inside rear tire!

Re: Gordyville thoughts-- My apology to the track crew!Thumbs Up January 18, 2011 08:08PM
They were the entertainment in between tractors lol Hot

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 12:19PM
Has anybody thought about the Farm Machinery Show and how it is set up.. If that wheel had came off there, someone would have been hurt, or more likely killed, for sure. It would have ramped off of the sand pile and been in the stands! Yes Gordyville is a much smaller building than freedom hall, but the farm show has people sitting just a few ft beyond the sand where if something happened people could not react very fast at all. At Gordyville, people are crossing behind the sand pile which is a little dangerous being the only place to cross but at least they are standing and can react faster. This is why i think no body got hurt friday night, because there were people crossing and standing watching the pull down there all night including during the time when the accident happened. Gordyville may be a small building compared to other indoor pull venues, but I felt pretty safe. I do think it would be a good idea to put some sort of concrete in front of the stands instead of the gates that they use now.

Re: Gordyville thoughts January 17, 2011 12:36PM
First and foremost Gordyville is the best pull that I have been to in a long time. I am not a big fan of indoor pulls, because you can't see the smoke, but you definately get your moneys worth. As fas as I am concerned the 10,200 Prostock class was worth the price of the session just to see them. There was absolutley no junk in that class or for that matter in the majority of the pull. It was well organized and a big hats off should go to Klint and his crew for putting on a show of this magnatude and quality and for putting up with everyones bitchin. Job well done Klint and look forward to coming back next year.

My only complaint is that apparently a lot of the classes overlap too much, If a competitor qualifies in the finals in more than 1 class then apparently those classes should be combined. I mean there was over 80 Superfarms, so why not combine some of the Hot Farm classes and the Limited Pro classes and you would have 80 of them. And by taking out some of the combined classes add another 3000 or 3500 rpm class that allows other brands to compete besides the umpteen version of a 1066 that were in the 10 profarm and 95 hotfarm classes

Again job well done and will be back next year

Re: na class needs better sled setting January 18, 2011 02:52PM
now don't go bashing Hager. I have pulled his sleds for a long time now and I'm sure its not all his fault. I would prefer Hager over anyone else. The N/A class isn't really made for a short track like that anyway. And Hager does mostly larger events and probably doesn't have very many N/A tractors in front of him and if he does probably never on a short indoor track. So quit your bashing.

Re: na class needs better sled setting January 18, 2011 03:42PM
I have pulled Hagar sleds many times with my NA JD. He knows how to set the sled. Perhaps he was pushed for time with all the hooks and classes @ gordyville.

Re: na class needs better sled setting January 18, 2011 04:16PM
I know everyone wants to climb over the sandpile, but how can you bash the sled setting when the winning tractor was in the sand?

Re: na class needs better sled setting January 18, 2011 04:36PM
That is a terrific point! Case closed!

Re: na class needs better sled setting January 18, 2011 04:38PM
I agree, I've pulled the same Hagar Sled with an antique tractor and a Super Stock Tractor, and it pulled the same with both......Hard to start and slammed you into the dash at the end. I'll take Sam Swan's or Jim Hill's Bauer Sleds anyday!!

how long was the track? January 18, 2011 04:58PM
how long was the track in there?

Re: how long was the track? January 18, 2011 05:20PM

where? January 22, 2011 02:04AM
where was the shutt from ohio that was on the comp. list ?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,670, Posts: 229,762, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,076, Posts: 225,938.

Our newest member JD_8520