Foaming Ih rear end Question January 23, 2011 05:31PM
Im wanting to foam my 966 rear end and was wonderng what kind and how much foam to use and where is a good place to get it at. any help would be great Thanks.

Re: Foaming Ih rear end Question January 23, 2011 11:10PM
Go to Fleet Farm or any local hardware store and get "great stuff". Put it down in 5 or 6 layers letting it cure between each layer. If you do it all at once the center doesn't cure. As far as how much, well, when its full I hear the leftovers work great for filling gaps and cracks around foundations and windows to reduce draft and keep varmints out. I haven't done a red one but I recently did one of those "other" colors. You can search "foam filling rear end" on this site to find more its been talked about several times. You will want to wear rubber gloves (during the actual foam filling, of course, not necessarily while you're searching) good luck!

Re: Foaming Ih rear end Question January 24, 2011 02:57AM
Along the same lines as the original post, how difficult is it to remove this stuff when you need to fix things? Can a person just get in there with a knife and cut it out? Or is it a real PITA?

Re: Foaming Ih rear end Question January 24, 2011 08:48AM
Doesn't the rear end grease-or oil-soak into the foam? Do you have to cover the foam with something to keep it oil proof?

Re: Foaming Ih rear end Question January 24, 2011 09:07AM
if you still have a torque will it affect anything

Re: Foaming Ih rear end Question January 24, 2011 09:46AM
Also, could we do this on our Massey Harris?
How much weight does it normally save on a 966 or so?

Re: Foaming Ih rear end Question January 25, 2011 03:55PM
well a 966 holds around 25Gallons i think you could cut that in half or so

Re: Foaming Ih rear end Question January 26, 2011 02:19PM
if you want to remove great stuff, roll the chassis outside and throw a match in it. stand back

Re: Foaming Ih rear end Question January 26, 2011 04:02PM
i don't remember exact number of cans i used. when you do it use something to keep it away from the oil sump(on a binder). i used a piece of plywood and plastic wrap. in the process of doing that i angled it so the oil that is thrown by the ring gear would run back down and not just sit on top. very important to let each layer cure. after the first layer i put old antifreeze jugs in to take up room to cut down on the number of cans. as far as the amount of oil i used. i just filled it till it was at the add line on the dipstick. i think around 10 gals???

Re: Foaming Ih rear end Question January 26, 2011 04:42PM
thanks unknown binder that helps alot!!

Re: Foaming Ih rear end Question January 27, 2011 02:12AM
Don't be welding or making sparks while it drys. It's very flammable when curing. Not that we don't like fire but it sorta ruins the foam job.

Re: Foaming Ih rear end Question January 27, 2011 06:52PM
I put an entire 4'x8'x3/4" sheet of foam insulation board in mine. (the pink board at menards) I cut it so I had to put a little force in it. It kinda wedges itself down in the rear end housing. The foam board does not come apart in oil. I have heard from others that over time the expandable foam starts to blend in the oil. The board took me two hours and table saw. I just put in all I could fit. My rear end on a 1066 now only requires about 5 gal of oil. I just made sure to stay clear of any moving parts. I know of some real good runnin IH's that have done this same thing. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,720, Posts: 229,839, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,969.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro