NEW TO PULLING. GOT PERFORMANCE QUESTIONS January 25, 2011 12:31PM
What does it take to put a inline pump on a IH 1206? What pump should I look for to buy? Also What inj lines and injectors do I need to run? I already have a 3lm 466 turbo on it and need more fuel. Or should I find a roosa master with the 450 head? I want to run in the farm class and want more power and speed. Thanks for any help.

Re: NEW TO PULLING. GOT PERFORMANCE QUESTIONS January 26, 2011 07:45AM
I take it you still have the 361 or a 407. Putting an inline (either an A pump or a P pump) is not too bad, provided the group you pull with allows it!

I put a 10mm A pump on the 407 engine in my 1206 puller. I also have a 3LM-466 turbo on mine (as required for the class I pull in), so a 10mm A pump should be a good match.

First off, you will need a pump drive gear from an early 806, one that originally had an RD injection pump. Look for a p/n 328840R1 gear from a salvage yard from an early 806.

Next, you will need to modify the existing pump mounting plate on your 361/407. If you have access to a injection pump core from a 30 series JD, it will help you out tremendously! The large hole in your plate will need to be sleeved down to fit the A pump (or bored out to fit a P pump). You will want to determine how you want the pump positioned on the engine (here's where that core pump is helpful!) in order to determine the new 4 bolt holes need to be drilled, and where to cut out a notch in the plate for the fuel rack cover on the front of the A pump. The three existing bolt holes that attach the Roosamaster pump drive on this plate will need to be welded shut, and four new mounting holes will need drilled & tapped to attach the A pump.

Once you have the mounting plate all mounted & figured out, you'll need to have a drive hub modified to fit the A pump to the RD pump gear. I'd suggest using a drive hub for a 70 series Case as a starting point. Part of the outer diameter of the drive hub will need to be increased in order to attach it to the RD gear. The existing holes in the drive hub will need welded shut, and three new holes drilled & tapped to attach the RD gear. The face of the hub will also need to be built up in order to position the pump gear correctly w/ the other timing gears. You'll need to send off your modified pump hub to the pump shop you buy your pump from, so he can scribe a mark on it to line it up w/ the timing pointer on the pump.

Now, if you're doing this w/ the engine in the tractor, you'll need to roll the engine over to about where you want the timing set by using the marks on the flywheel & the timing pointer in the T/A housing, and have the pump timed so the pointer & scribe mark line up. Take note, you're gonna want to take a red or yellow paint marker, and also draw yourself a line on the pump hub & the plate behind the pump gear, as additional timing refernce marks, because once the pump is on the engine & everything is mounted, you can't see the timing pointer on the pump, or the scribe mark, unless you remove the front cover from the tractor again, and take off the pump gear (and even then, its very difficult)

I have seen pictures where guys have modified the front cover & increased the opening for the timing cover, allowing them enough room to remove the pump gear thru the cover w/out removing the front cover from the engine (and removing the front half of the tractor before that!) I haven't done it myself, but it might be worth looking in to.

You'll need to bend your own injection lines for this. Check w/ your pump shop, but I'm betting they'll recommend .093 lines. They can set up your injectors as well to match the pump.

Diesel Performance in Savannah, MO did mine, and I'm happy w/ their work.

I have a bunch of pictures saved that I took while I fitted my A pump to my 407. You can send me a PM & I can try & forward you a link to an online album of mine, or if you have more questions, just ask. I like sharing info w/ guys on 361's & 407's.

Matt

Re: NEW TO PULLING. GOT PERFORMANCE QUESTIONS January 26, 2011 01:41PM
That is a better choice ,A or P pump . It will be money well spent.Just to add to
Blackstacks advice ,make sure of your backlash on your timing gears and you
might want to increase the size of your bolt on your idler gear bolt.
Good luck.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009