Steel Pistons January 30, 2011 05:39AM
Has anybody tried steel pistons in a diesel for pulling? Wondering if you could push them further on a PS or SS. Or would you just wreck something else.

Re: Steel Pistons January 30, 2011 09:41AM
Steel weighs .283 per square inch, aluminum weighs .095 per square inch, depending on alloy. That would make the steel pistons 3 times heavier than alum, so your rods would need to be stronger, more counter weight on the crank and you couldn't spin it near as fast without it throwing pieces everywhere.

Re: Steel Pistons January 31, 2011 12:43AM
Well there is a 8 second funny car diesel running steel pistons. I was wondering if anybody in pulling was trying them.

Re: Steel Pistons January 31, 2011 12:19PM
I would have thought someone would have tried this in pulling firstSad, but please tell more 4.1 fan

Re: Steel Pistons January 31, 2011 04:25PM
My Deere combine has factory steel pistons, as do most 8000 series They hold up great, but are very heavy. For a DSS, a superfarm, a big cube pro or other low RPM app they might would work. For the cid limited classes that turn lots of RPM like the 510 and 540 4.1's they probably would not work.

Re: Steel Pistons January 31, 2011 01:55PM
There would be some advantages- could run a lot tighter piston to wall, since they wouldn't expand nearly as much as aluminum. They wouldn't burn as easy, ring lands would be a lot stronger, and they would not be 3 times heavier. It takes a lot more aluminum to equal the strength of steel. Just compare an aluminum connecting rod to a steel one. In drag racing at least, a good steel rod doesn't weigh a lot more than an aluminum one. Now if you were really serious, you could make titanium pistons!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,957, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,040.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009