gooseneck trailer ? February 01, 2011 11:41AM
looking at buying used gooseneck for 12000 lbs tractor found a 14000 lbs corn pro for a good price it has tourqe flex axles i have never herd of these axles anyone know about these axles good,bad or what he said there are no springs.thanks

Re: gooseneck trailer ? February 01, 2011 11:57AM
If they are Dexter(brand) Torflex (TM) they are a good axle and you can find parts (seals, bearings, races, brakes) alot of places.

Pros to torflex or torsion (common name) is that they don't have any springs to stretch or break or bushings and shackles to wear out. Alot less moving parts. Good ride down the road too.

Cons is that they will have less suspension travel to a spring type axle. So for going into driveways, fields, pits just be aware of this take it a little slower and hit the flatest spots when possible.

Make sure it is a Dexter Torflex (TM) and not a copy or chinese axle that parts may be hard to get if a bearing goes down the road.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? February 01, 2011 12:28PM
14000 not heavy enough for your tractor besides not legal. You need a 20000lb trailer for that tractor.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? February 01, 2011 01:15PM
Good point. GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and how trailers are rated. 14000 gvwr trailer means trailer AND payload must be 14000 or under. A 14,000 GVWR gooseneck trailer usually weighs 5000 lbs give or take based on brand and length. Dont skimp on GVWR, unless you feel lucky with the DOT or like blown tires, bent axles, or bad bearings on the side of the road.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? February 01, 2011 02:19PM
I agree with AV. Don't skimp on a trailer unless you're just going down the road a couple of miles. I'm having fun reading the BLIZZARD REPORT, being from central MN I know just exactly what they're talking about. We've had our share of bad weather so far too.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? February 03, 2011 01:38PM
If the trailer is a corn Pro and they are origional axles then they are dexter axles. They make for an extremely nice riding trailer. However you will want to watch your GVW of the trailer. that trailer empty weight whould weigh around 4200 lbs which only legally gives you 9800lbs of legal weight to carry. But with that being siad I cornpro trailer will carry the weight and will tow like a dream. They are a very well built trailer.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? February 03, 2011 11:34PM
Loaded correctly you can haul about 11,000 on a 14,000 lb trailer,with about 1,200lbs on your truck . that would be max!

Re: gooseneck trailer ? February 03, 2011 11:25AM
Countrydude I Have a 32ft 22400lbs gvw trailer for sale call 1 563 568 3854

Re: gooseneck trailer ? February 03, 2011 12:42PM
Dexter axles are all Corn Pro Mfg uses. FYI. They're the only trailer I'd ever buy.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? February 03, 2011 01:56PM
thanks for all the info i realize it is not heavy enough for what i need spending more $ for 20000lb duel wheel corn pro ,sure does cost alot of $ just to get to a pull thanks again

Re: gooseneck trailer ? February 03, 2011 03:58PM
What kind of money is the 20K corn pro? I sell Kiefer 20K 25' for $8500, 30' for $8900. Haven't looked over a Corn Pro but I am sure they make a good trailer just curious of the other prices out there.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? February 03, 2011 04:10PM
$3000 1998 could use tires i bought it.glad i ask on here because this one came along or i would have bought smaller one for $2500 but started loooking again after good advice on weight capacity was giving.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? February 04, 2011 12:19AM
Before you buy a trailer check with DOT in your state. Sometimes you can actually haul more weight with a lighter trailer. In Pa. you have to license in combination. So an 8500lb truck with a 20,000 lb trailer and your'e over the legal combined weight for Pa. for a pickup/ trailer combo.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? February 04, 2011 04:08AM
I live in Pa and had combo license on my 06 Dodge pulling a 16k trailer. I sold truck and trailer and went to a straight truck. License on the truck with combo was $280.00 a year.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? February 04, 2011 09:40AM
anyone know if there is a new law in ohio for 2011 on this truck & trailer combo i herd rumer of it thanks.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? February 04, 2011 11:34AM
If all else fails call the local DMV and get your local DOT investigators number and they will set you clear. Getting info on here about DOT legalities is a high stakes gamble if you ask me. It may be right but it could also be 5th hand word heard in a coffee shop and then typed on here. When you get pulled over, saying you read it on pulloff probably wont get you out of the fines.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? February 04, 2011 12:18PM
Hey there driller. You want check with dmv. For ohio. Lots changes. For pickups an Trailor.rumer has it they took26000 gvw rule for the big trucks an lowered it to 10000lbs vehicals.fire extiglishers,triangle,first aidkit. May need a federal inspection on vehical .may need dot no. On pickup if you fall in what their rules are,jus got a 42 pages. On rules. U need to call dmv.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 12:40PM
What 42 pages are you refering too? I was told by the ohio dmv and several other pullers that I don't need CDL's. AS LONG... I'm hauling MY persoanal stuff. If I'm using am open gooseneck, take all the stickers off, cause thats advertisement and that mean your getting paid to have those stickers on your tractor.(thats the gray area). The extact words from the gentleman from the Ohio DMV in Columbus was... I could go buy a brand new Peterbuilt with a new 53' trailer. Then drive from the east coast to the west coast hauling MY tractor, which I own and I don't need CDLs. I have to put on the truck "Not for Hire - Personal Use". I asked him, I do get a check for prize money. He said your probably not getting a check like a NASCAR driver, I said correct..lol. He said you need to claim your winnings with uncle sam, but you can not deduct your exspences ( THEN CONSIDERED HOBBY). I'm planing on I'm buying a used Ford F650 or F750 to pull my tractor around.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 01:03PM
__its interesting topic. Glenn. From what here you right on that. Far m as exzemt. I got pickup, gooseneck. Work on a farm. But not exzept.I pull .they told me I take tractor to a show. Don't need truck plate. As soon as load go pull I need truck plate on pickup. Now I fall in to new rule. So I call dmv theres a. Like flow chart if u need it. So with this there 42pages off. Rules. I havnt been stopped yet. But local boy. Been stop with truck plate on pickup. An ask wher threr d.o.t. no at. Im jus trying to figure it out. Before I get the ticket
But on u side it sound right what your sayin

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 01:09PM
I had a DOT audit and a DOT officer (IA) in my house telling me what can and cant be done even with only 4000 miles use/yr, no income, and personal use. You let me know how it goes with your semi and 53' van if not plated RV, and no DOT number and no permits. Being Ohio doesn not exclude you from federal DOT laws once you cross state line. If you step in IA with a 26000 GVWR total combo pickup and trailer you are subject to DOT number and DOT permits. If I cant got without in IA and IA plates they will be licking their chops to see your OH plates and no identification on your rig. I have farmers coming in weekly saying they got pulled over by DOT with 1 ton pickups and goosenecks because they are tagged over 26K combo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 01:38PM by AV.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 01:24PM
Intersting av. Pickup in Ohio goes across pa. Line. Has truck plate on get a inspection. No dot. Or fire exstingler. An tramgle in pickup. Was a very pricy fine. . Try in figure this out soon. Cause I see tickets in near future.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 01:34PM
A friend of mine lives in PA who pulls. He needs Combination License, cost him over $400 a year, 9000 gvw truck and a 14K gvw trailer. The problem with a pickup is if they weigh each axle, then your busted. If they weigh the pickup and trailer together your ok. Ohio DMV said I culd run my pick and trailer as long as I'm under 26K.... I did telll them what the pickup was and what the trailer is. I'm legal.... would a small semi be safer.... yea.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 01:41PM
I have learned a few things via the PA dot. In PA if you weigh 26000 or less and the combined registration for the trailer plus the tow vehicle is 26000 or less then you are not required to have a CDL. So a big thing to consider is what the trailer is tagged for and what is the truck tagged for before you add them up. Say a 14000 gooseneck plus a 12000 dually then you are ok. on the other hand a 20000 pound trailer is going to put you way over 26000 when added to the truck. (note , you can derate a 20000 goose down to 14 or 16 )

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 01:45PM
We. Got180000lbs. 10gvw. Truck. Tthat be 28000. Am I right? Total. I fall right thee?am I right or wrong heavy hauler

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 01:48PM
There is one problem with derated trailer as in your example from 20 to 14. Empty you are golden or even if loaded but still under the truck and trailer tag gvwr. But if you have a 20,000 capable gvwr and tagged 14, the owner usually loads to capacity, the DOT sees the dual tandems and 1 ton truck and pulls you over. If they would weigh you and you come out over the tags you have a whole new can of worms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 01:55PM by AV.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 01:53PM
You are absolutely right AV. You need to know what you weigh empty and loaded and make sure you don't go over 26K no matter what. I have a 16K trailer and 9900 truck. The trailer is actually a tandem dually rated at 22000 but it is derated to 16K by the manufacturer on the GVW. I run down the road about 25K most of the time, give or take 500 pounds.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 02:00PM
That sometimes is tricky too because a capable 20k trailer may weigh 6500 and a 14k 4500 lbs, so the 20k capable trailer derated to 14 just ate up 2000 lbs of your payload capacity with the d rated tag and its own weight.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 11:36PM
What state are you from? I do not mean to be smart but right on the back of my Pa state license I clealy states for a class C license Tow Less the 10,000LBS. Combo being 26,000 means the truck could be 16,000 would have to be none air brake of coarse and the trailer 10,000 or less.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 05, 2011 12:05AM
I am betting you hav e a CDL already because otherwise your license would not say that. Mine says combinations < 26001. does not mention a trailer. Your restriction comes from the CDL law and applies when you are operating a truck which falls into the CDL requirments. If you are not using your license in a CDL capacity then you fall in with the rest of us.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 01:42PM
Sounds. Like small semi may be better. .but I guess I got pickup an gooseneck. Don't have rv option but been here in storie of pickup gettin pulled over.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 01:48PM
yep. 18000 trailer plus 10000 truck and you are required to have a CDL. (unless you can get the whole setup tagged as an RV, which requires living quarters)

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 01:59PM
I heard that vechicals plated as RV's that are not actual RV's are going to be checked. They know thats a huge gray area an they are wanting to tighten it up.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 02:14PM
Yep. You do have to take all that into account. Definitely have to be on your game and know your weights. A 22k trailer usually will be around 800 pounds heavier than a 14 K trailer. Believe me I checked into it inside and out. It is not easy but it can be done. The cheapest and easiest way is to get a semi and a CDL but I already got what I got...

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 02:20PM
Thanks guys for info.I. trying fine out all I can. So we be pullin. Glenn if like send me a no. I like tak alittle more about this.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 01:49PM
Minn-mo-man... Look at this link [www.bmv.ohio.gov] Scroll down till you see CDL Exceptions.... Nonbusiness Commercial Motor Vehicle [ - ]
A commercial motor vehicle that is operated for nonbusiness purposes. "Operated for nonbusiness purposes" means that the commercial motor vehicle is not used in commerce as "commerce" is defined in 48 C.F.R. 383.5 as amended, and is not regulated by the public utilities commission pursuant to Chapter 4919., 4821., or 4923.,of the Ohio Revised Cod

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 01:58PM
Ok I look it up glenn tommow. Now man I talk to dmv said when we load to tractor show. Don't need a truck plate.but when I go to the pull that pullin an has a paybac of any sort gotta have a truck plate on. But then u do gvw I fall in catagory v dot laws .am I right or am I wrong.truck plate may be the issue too what's right lol im jus trying figure the right path.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 04, 2011 02:02PM
one thing to remember is talk direct to the DOT investigator for your county. DMV personnel are not 100% up to speed on DOT laws and may steer you wrong themselves although that wasnt their intention.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 05, 2011 01:01AM
AV your right about DOT. One will tell you one thing next will tell something else. Been there a couple times with pickup and semi. Also state and Fed DOT laws sometimes contradict each other but Fed is BOSS. 26000 is law for CDL over that you better have one or your in trouble don"t care what state law is.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 05, 2011 01:49AM
Unless recently changed, the exemption for personal hauling is a 100 mile radius,
with any combo over 26001#, without a CDL.
Wouldn't try their idea of coast to coast with out CDL,
you may be kept in the west coast. What a DMV person (autos)
and an actual Ohio DOT officer (Commercial Enforcement)
tells you will be two different things. The DMV in ohio has
little knowledge of the DOT ways. I suggest you go to the local Ohio
State Patrol barracks ask for the officer in charge of commercial enforcement
and listen to what he tells you. After all who is going to be giving out those
good driver awards, a guy in the DMV or a law enforcemnt officer?
This is what I done and eliminated the heresy.

Re: gooseneck trailer ? - Question for Minn-mo-man February 05, 2011 09:57AM
I spoke with a DOT officer (commerical enforcement) in Columbus, Ohio. That is what he told me... If I'm hauling person stuff (my tractor) I don't need CDLs. I even told him about the prize money thing also. Ask the State Police?... they don't know either. A friend of mine was pulled over and the State Police officer had to look through 2 books to seee if he was legal. At one point the office gave him one of the books to look at, while he was looking at the other book.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,681, Posts: 229,783, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason