Compact diesel pulling questions...seems interesting. February 02, 2011 01:13PM
hello all....i saw a previous post about compact diesels but that seems to get more towards the ones that are running overseas. i have researched NQS rules and according to the rules must be 75 cubic inch max. 3cyl max. must be lawn mower trans axle. seems to be quite limiting which could keep things competitive. i am considering a possible build of one of these but the questions i have are is everyone running stock gears or are they gearing up there trans?? what kind of rpm are these guys running? what engines are primarily being used? are these direct inject or indirect inject? how much horsepower? torque? how bout clutches? are these beefed up cub clutches? these are just some questions i have before i would really get down to the nitty gritty of building one thanks for the input.

Re: Compact diesel pulling questions...seems interesting. February 02, 2011 03:42PM
I am interestd in building one as well. Have all the same questions, hopefully someone that has some experience will answer the thread

Re: Compact diesel pulling questions...seems interesting. February 02, 2011 03:44PM
NQS rules allows any rear end. Of those out running now most of them are running Kabota's which are indirect injected the rest are running Yanmars which are direct injected. Most are running cub cadet transmissions with the front reduction taken off with a dart differential and some have added planetaries on the outside. It sounds like there is several in progress.

Re: Compact diesel pulling questions...seems interesting. February 03, 2011 03:02AM
Here in ohio, most guys are running the Kubota D1105 engine, along with the Yanmar, as far as rearends, i know guys here are using the cub transaxle housing, and putting the dodge dart carrier inside the transaxle along with a set of planitarys. Along with all the rest of the rearend mods, guys are gearing up their transmissions (I have heard upwards of 37% overdrive with 25,26,27 gears that = lots of power and lots of wheel speed) most guys use Midwest SuperCubs gears (www.midwestsupercub.net) as far as interal engine mods most guys send their cams out to Vogel Manufacturing (www.vogelmanufacturing.com) as far as turbos well thats up to you as far as how big, and much money you want to put in one Smiling

Re: Compact diesel pulling questions...seems interesting. February 03, 2011 09:30AM
another alternative is to build a mini mod diesel. the two that run with keystone pullers have 3 cyl 180cu.engines, compact tractor bodys, dana 60 rears, tube frames and slipper clutchs,6 ply 18.4x16.1 tires, weight in at 1800 lbs would really like to see more of these built.

Re: Compact diesel pulling questions...seems interesting. February 03, 2011 09:47AM
Tim Dilgard was the one that built the Cub Cadet with a 3 cylinder IH 179 engine which runs with Keystone Pullers. This one had a dana 60 housing with a billit 70 carrier.

I am the one who built the John Deere 4300 which runs with Keystone Pullers with some help from Tim Dilgard. It had a 9" Ford with all Moser Engineering components. I also used a transmission from TRB in Michigan. We used 18.4 x 16.1 Mini Rod Tires.

Re: Compact diesel pulling questions...seems interesting. February 03, 2011 10:01AM
They really need two classes. One for the beginner and other the the person who wants to get serious.
I would like to see any rear-end and transmission. 31 x 15.50 x 15 cepecks. The small 26 x 12 x 12 look like whoosey tire for a diesel. The bigger tires make them look very impressive.

Re: Compact diesel pulling questions...seems interesting. February 03, 2011 10:16AM
May I ask, what made you choose for a "tractor engine"?... well maybe a stupid question, since this is Tractor Pulling...

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Compact diesel pulling questions...seems interesting. February 03, 2011 10:27AM
The tractor engines are more durable and the weight class was 2200#.

Re: Compact diesel pulling questions...seems interesting. February 03, 2011 01:30PM
Back to the comment about the 26x12x12 tires looking wussy on a diesel, i guess it all depends on what is dominate in your area, and same goes for anyone that is gonna build a compact diesel tractor, If mini mods are a big thing where you are, build a bigger compact diesel tractor to run with the mini mods, there is no sence in building a tractor that you cant run local. And thats how its going to turn out for the most part, in the area where garden tractor pulling is big you will see the 3 cyl 26x12x12 tires, and in the area with the mini mods you will see the bigger tire diesels. We have a pull in Tiffin,Ohio, during the day and then in the evening, OSTPA pulls infront of the grandstands, We had a huge croud of OSTPA pullers,Officials, and Even the Club President, over talking to us about our diesels, saying that they can see in a few years the Compact diesel tractors will be the growing trend as it becomes more and more expencive to build/maintain a prostock,superstock,superfarm tractor. Word has it that a few guys that pull big tractors are going to build the little compact diesel tractors, But keep that in mind where ever you are, based off of what the trend is. Build something you can pulll local and if you wanna travle so be it Just my two cents worth.

Re: Compact diesel pulling questions...seems interesting. February 04, 2011 02:27AM
They just seem to be A LOT of work and money to get them to make decent rpm and horsepower.
Considering you are using a 3 liter engine, those V6 car diesel engines from Audi/VW, BMW, Mercedes come with like 230+ hp "out of the box".
Mercedes sells a 2.2 liter with 204 hp now (getting you 43mpg on the road), and they are usually pretty conservative when it comes to performance vs. reliability.

The 5 Liter VW TDI comes with 313 hp (and 553lbs/ft torque) "out of the box" and could probably be placed in a 2200 lbs tractor.

In the 24 h races they push the 5 liter V10s to like 700+ hp....

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 02:38AM by Sascha.

Re: Compact diesel pulling questions...seems interesting. February 04, 2011 03:23AM
Need more mini diesels. I have one we run in western new york built like a mini with a 2.2 isuzu. It is built just the same as the euro diesels and are and much easier to fabricate and get heavy enough parts. Its hard to build the weight wise that balance with the gassers but we gaining. I don't know to put the link on but ours on you tube under 4cyl mini deisel at wyo. county fair. It runs on 31.5x 15 at 1650lbs. There are 2 others that run also but we don't all run at the same events so its hard to get a seperate class with an agreeabe weight.

Re: Compact diesel pulling questions...seems interesting. February 04, 2011 07:27AM
These little diesels are very cool! I got started with it about a year and a half ago.

As GTpuller below mentioned there are really two sizes that get people confused. Compact diesels are 4 cyl mini mod size tractors like run in Europe. The smaller 3 cyl tractors with 26-12x12 tires are
Garden tractors. I guess the proper name for them would be "pro stock diesel garden tractors".

There is a forum dedicated to pulling small diesels. It is mostly Garden tractor guys but there are a few guys who pull the bigger compacts also.

[sports.groups.yahoo.com]

Lots of good info on there. We could also use some guys who run big tractors posting on there to give us advice on making these little tractors run like the big ones.

So please check it out. Those of us who already are running these little diesel machines would like to see this branch of pulling grow.

Re: Compact diesel pulling questions...seems interesting. To: Farmallgray February 04, 2011 12:15PM
I couldnt agree more with your post. I am a member of the Diesel garden tractor pulling group on yahoo (gt_puller2007) Have seen lots of videos of your tractor run, Definately a great running little diesel for just getting started with it!!! If its ok with you, Im gonna put a link to your YouTube page so all the guys can check out all the great videos you have taken of the diesels at the Columbus Winter Nationals. and also get your tractor out there for everyone to see. [www.youtube.com]

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,759, Posts: 229,920, Members: 3,336.
This forum: Topics: 37,094, Posts: 226,019.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM