registration for semi ? February 08, 2011 09:54AM
does anyone know how to register your semi and trailer as an rv unit? any help would be great thanks

Re: registration for semi ? February 08, 2011 11:45AM
In Kentucky I was told you had to have running water in the trailer or truck to be consider a RV.

Re: registration for semi ? February 08, 2011 12:02PM
what state in ill go to dmv and get paper work rv plates on truck they will mark what you need to pass rt plates on trailer will cost about $155 a year total amount

Re: registration for semi ? February 08, 2011 12:05PM
Go to your bmv for the correct info.In ohio you need to sign an affadavit at the clerk of courts office stating your vehicle has the necessary equipment for it to be considered a RV.You will surrender the "commercial truck title" when you do this and be issued a RV title.If I remember right,in Ohio,it has to be "self contained" meaning it has heat,water,bathroom,sleeping facility,stove,and I think you need a generator,or power convertor.You can lie on the affidavit,but if your caught not having a self contained unit,they can probably consider your truck as a commercial unit and then the inspections,fines,correct plate issues etc could be assessed.So I wouldnt recommend callin it an RV if it isnt.I believe there was a provision that states it cannot have a fifth wheel and has to have a "gooseneck hitch" setup to be considered an RV.Double check that ruling to be safe.I wouldnt want to get caught hauling "weekend freight" with RV plates!Like hauling a load of beans to the elevator...Its a good deal if you can have a rv/semi pull your rig around.But it could get ugly with DOT if your not legal.

Re: registration for semi ? February 09, 2011 09:45AM
Its just going to be used for tractor pulling thanks for the info

Re: registration for semi ? February 09, 2011 10:49AM
fed dot compliance officer said rv plate is not legal when using for commerce aka pulling for prize money. He said it is also not legal to run farm plates, unless you did not collect any prize money.

Re: registration for semi ? February 09, 2011 10:49AM
i tried in wisconsin, had all of the required r.v. equip, but semi is too long.

Total truck connot be over 45 feet long with minimum 50% living quarters, with "dining and sleeping" area, running water,
toilet, fridge, cooking source, 110 power, and independant heating/cooling. the catch was 50% from the front bumper
to rear of frame to be living quarters. also total truck / trailer length could not excede 65 feet. also if living quarters are
in the trailer you still need commercial plates on the truck, per d.o.t. inspector. good luck!!!
BUt I also know several guys that have r.v. plates and are getting away with it for now. I had farm plates on my semi
and was pulled over. inspecxtor thought i was hauling cars, when he seen it was tractors he let me go , but said I had
to register commercial because i was not hauling commodities to market or equipment to the feild/home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 10:54AM by IH1086.

Re: registration for semi ? February 09, 2011 11:43AM
thanks for all the info on this does anyone know if you can just register them for the few months of the pulling season since thats all it will be used for or do you have to register it for the hole year?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,775, Posts: 229,944, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,031.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009