Diesel Trucks One and Done February 19, 2011 09:02AM
Diesel trucks put on a good show but took way too long. Look for 9500# limited pros to be in the Saturday afternoon slot next year.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 19, 2011 09:44AM
What about having the light pro class??

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 19, 2011 09:55AM
Won't happen. PPL Guys run the show and more organizations are running the heavier class. Just my opinion

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 19, 2011 10:17AM
Let the mini-modifieds have a crack at it! They'll need a tether so they don't go over the "sand box." They'll put on a wild show!

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 19, 2011 01:06PM
6200# FWD

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 19, 2011 02:48PM
10-4 on the gassers!
I'm guessin next year it'll be Super Farm Open or some other variation on a limited diesel tractor class!

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 19, 2011 03:06PM
Bring back the 4wd's there is to many tractor classes already

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 19, 2011 03:10PM
Bring back Mini`s PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!........even farm folks think these guys are crazy for sitting on one of these!!!!!! whats is it been?? 12 years now???

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 19, 2011 03:27PM
I suggest dropping a class of the Pros (3 of anything is too many) and adding the minis and something in place of the diesel trucks. I actually enjoy the Pro Class but got pretty tired of it after watching them 3 times.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 19, 2011 06:07PM
Already to much NOISE!!!!! GAS and fumes. Go out in the hall when the mods or trucks pull, there full cause everyone don't want to watch them and there to loud. When tractors start up again everyone goes back to there seat. If they left those two classes till last tonight there wouldnt have been 500 people there at the end of the night. Hope to see 8500 light pro in soon.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 20, 2011 01:56AM
Put in mix of 4.1 and light prostock. It would be nice if 4.1 tractors were a little lighter, but I am sure light pros would weight up to pull. This would become one of the best farmshow classes because their will be more color for more fans to root for.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 20, 2011 02:21AM
Personally the only reason I went this year was for the Diesel truck's.I think it was a GREAT show.As far as taking to long.I think they did good for the first time in.I gurantee the the first time any new classes pulled there it had issue's.So please quit bashing the Diesel truck show's.There here to stay there not going anywere.It is a good mix w/the tractor show's.Diesel truck's are part of the farm to.Also there is a good market for Diesel truck pulling.
Thank you NFMS for bringing this class in and I hope you keep it.We enjoyed it tremendously!Thumbs Up

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 20, 2011 02:32AM
In my opinion, the only problem with the dsl truck class can be fixed easily, two big skid loaders or another telehandler and move'em along, the tractors are okay but they need front wt to handle the trucks. It was almost comical to watch the support drivers unlocking brakes and driving with the front in the air. As for one truck timing out, I have seen pro stocks, super farm and super stocks all time out before and no one wants to get rid of them, it was only one truck and the breakage is just as interesting as Haisley getting flagged before hitting the sand.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 20, 2011 07:11AM
A great show???? I was looking forward to them but no one would say it was a great show. Half the class broke, they took forever to go after the green flag, and they are to hard to move around indoors. It was a three truck class and far from great.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 20, 2011 02:36AM
SOme people like trucks some dont same with tractors. There are lots of farms that has truck.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 20, 2011 07:20AM
Trucks are part of the farm to? Yes they are, I drive mine down the road and around the barn every day. Go race the trucks around the fair grounds and pull tractors inside.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 20, 2011 07:49AM
Like i posted in the other thread

The thing many people forget about the DFWD guys is that they are virgins to the sport and are now just getting their hands down the pants of big time pulling and are trying to figure out what to do.

10 years ago we just had a chip and a straightpipe. Today we have every one of the Big 3s motors pushed into the 4 digits and counting. Its a fast growing sport with a lot of growing pains. All of the old farts on here saying the diesel guys are slow, are correct, maybe some of the guys are. But remember your first time pulling at a national event with a lot of people watching you? It takes a few years to calm those nerves and get on the top of your game with pull etiquette at these big shows. I know I screwed up big time with mine at the first big indoor pull I pulled at. But who did we learn from? nobody, we are first generation DFWD pullers. Shunned by most of the tractor guys who will refuse to help us because they dont want us, then ridiculed because we run around like lost puppies in their eyes.

I think I speak for all DFWD guys in saying we are sorry for being your dumping grounds for everything that goes wrong at a pull. We accept this responsibility until another new guy (new class) comes along that can be your dumping grounds.

Or what if we flipped the tables and 40 years ago we were pulling DFWDs and just now we were starting to pull tractors? It would be the same old BS im sure.

Until recently there was the DFWD community as themselves. Forming our own classes, and bugging organizations to add them. Just now are we starting to coexist with the big guys (NTPA, PPL and such) You gotta remember 5 years ago we had no sanctioning, we were just guys with turned up trucks pulling at fairs. Same place all of you tractor pullers started.

So in the end, what im saying is were the new guys raining on your parade, you dont want us there evidently but the promoters chose to have us there. Just like the chose you many years ago. Fast forward 20 years and we will all be one big family, well somewhat. Just like the Red and green pullers have their differences, at the end of the day were all there to hook and put on a good show for the fans.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 20, 2011 08:52AM
Give the diesel truck another chance they put on a good show. Also they need to give the guys a chance to let these things warm up before pulling. It is not a start up and go they have to warm up. I was suprised when they threw the smoknya out. Its not like they are going to take all day, let them warm up long enough to take off..

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 20, 2011 12:42PM
DFWD
Like i posted in the other thread

The thing many people forget about the DFWD guys is that they are virgins to the sport and are now just getting their hands down the pants of big time pulling and are trying to figure out what to do.

10 years ago we just had a chip and a straightpipe. Today we have every one of the Big 3s motors pushed into the 4 digits and counting. Its a fast growing sport with a lot of growing pains. All of the old farts on here saying the diesel guys are slow, are correct, maybe some of the guys are. But remember your first time pulling at a national event with a lot of people watching you? It takes a few years to calm those nerves and get on the top of your game with pull etiquette at these big shows. I know I screwed up big time with mine at the first big indoor pull I pulled at. But who did we learn from? nobody, we are first generation DFWD pullers. Shunned by most of the tractor guys who will refuse to help us because they dont want us, then ridiculed because we run around like lost puppies in their eyes.

I think I speak for all DFWD guys in saying we are sorry for being your dumping grounds for everything that goes wrong at a pull. We accept this responsibility until another new guy (new class) comes along that can be your dumping grounds.

Or what if we flipped the tables and 40 years ago we were pulling DFWDs and just now we were starting to pull tractors? It would be the same old BS im sure.

Until recently there was the DFWD community as themselves. Forming our own classes, and bugging organizations to add them. Just now are we starting to coexist with the big guys (NTPA, PPL and such) You gotta remember 5 years ago we had no sanctioning, we were just guys with turned up trucks pulling at fairs. Same place all of you tractor pullers started.

So in the end, what im saying is were the new guys raining on your parade, you dont want us there evidently but the promoters chose to have us there. Just like the chose you many years ago. Fast forward 20 years and we will all be one big family, well somewhat. Just like the Red and green pullers have their differences, at the end of the day were all there to hook and put on a good show for the fans.

VERY WELL SAID!Hot

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 20, 2011 03:19PM
Why would they need so much more time than a DSS or PS Tractor. It was warm out anyways. Also the crew member that was just slowly walking for a can of ether looked bad. Everyone was paying good money to watch and Dsl truck guys as usual didnt seem to care for fans and drug it out way to long. Thought it was a bad show boring Light supers awesome Track for pros not the best. But leave the trucks in the parking lot.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 21, 2011 12:24AM
the one thing I couldn't understand was the Chevy truck. The guy with the ether can acted like he'd never done it before. all he had to do was keep spraying ether into it until it started to build boost before taking off. I've seen Esdon lehn do it a dozen times.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 21, 2011 12:10PM
I have been a fan of diesel truck and tractor pulling of any kind for many years. I'm not sure where the tractor pullers think they would be if truck pullers weren't in the stands cheering for them and buying tickets all these years. They need to pull their heads out of the clouds for a minute, think about where they were 20 years ago and support the truck pullers. I don't hear the truck pullers slamming them on any of the sites.

As a sport, the trucks and tractors need to stick together. If you are a tractor puller and see something that might help out the diesel truck guys, help them out! Don't get on these sites and bash them. Good grief!

I was in the stands at the NFMS and enjoyed the SSD 4x4 trucks just as much and I did the tractors. In the end it is about putting on a GREAT show for the fans. The diesel truck pullers did a great job for their first appearance. They were very professional in every way.

There are some things that need attending to and I believe they will be taken care of. Getting some bigger equipment to move them around with will help immensely. This too was a learning experience.

So as pullers.... stick together and support each other! We all had a first big hook! Looking forward to seeing the SSD 4x4's again next year!

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done March 06, 2011 03:47AM
Yes trucks are for the road and tractors are for pulling sh&t spreaders bla, bla bla. I wouldn't walk across the street to watch 95% of the classes out there but that doesn't mean SSD4WD have any less right to be at an event than do the mod tractors (what do they do on the farm? ) From what I've seen the crowd enjoyed them and in the end that's what matters to the NFMS.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done March 06, 2011 04:29AM
I think that the commitee could judge by the fans reaction wether or not they should come back. I watched a video of the pull and found it entertaining and there was a decent crowd till the end. Yes, they have some weak points to "build stronger" but that's one tough track. Tractors destroy engines and drivelines every year too. I'm not a 4x4 fan gas or diesel, but I thought was a decent show.

Problem I see is there's only one brand of engine (mostly) on the track and Cummins engines in Fords don't appeal to me. It was interesting to see how the different trucks were set up (dirt coming off rr vs fr wheels).
I don't care for mixing engines and chassis .. truck or tractor.

Do you guys think that they should consider a friday afternoon session that doesn't get to pull Saturday night for like the diesel/gas trucks? Or would that be too much? would it pull spectators from farm show?

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 20, 2011 12:27PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

I counted 16 passes down the track. 7 of those had breakage of one kind or another. That is way too much. Breakage in this class is too frequent! How can anyone say they put on a good show?

I am sure there were tickets sold to poeple who came to see nothing other than diesel 4x4's and that's great. The problem is, with showings like this, at some point, the other fans will quit going to the saturday afternoon show. Could a class of good running 3.0 trucks put on a better show? Depends on your viewpoint, but I think they could have put on a better show with a lot less breakage. (I am not saying Louisville should have 3.0 trucks, just an example)

In my opinon, some of the competitors in this class should concentrate on building a more reliable truck instead of just trying to make as much horsepower as possible. If they don't, it will be the death of the class. You could have 300hp more than anyone else in the class but if you break every time, it doesn't matter.

I am not saying that diesel trucks don't have a place at Louisville. I just don't think they should be there until they get some of the breakage issues figured out.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 20, 2011 02:30PM
Don't get me wrong. I like both the SSDT and the LSS so I am not attacking either class. But it seems to me like the light super class had just as much breakage and poor running tractors as the trucks. 2 trucks broke (understand that one truck was a 3.0 that through another turbo on to put on a better show), one truck didn't run, and one truck ran poorly. Whereas 1 light super broke and 4 tractors ran poorly. I am not calling any of these vehicles out because I have seen all of the vehicles in the comment above run well many times in the past so please don't attack me on that point. I am just making a point that a class that everyone loves had just as many problems but the truck class is getting called out because they took a long time. You can't say that these guys didn't have their stuff together. Breakage happens. Any class can have problems. I personally feel that the committee and the class did a good job. With equipment better equipped to handle these vehicles this class has, the show could've run quicker and people wouldn't be as down on this class. I also understand that this class had 4 less vehicles than any other class but it is still growing. All I'm saying is don't give up on this class it is a good class.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 20, 2011 09:38PM
There's always gonna be breakage. We are still trying to figure out what breaks, a new rear housing was just released for the dmax puller to prevent it from flexing and looking coolant on high HP motors. A few years ago ee wouldn't have dreamed of this issue.
when you compare it to tractor classes.

Try pulling a 2.6 truck in Indiana, you better bring at least 800hp and that's on a tiny charger.

I think for the short timeline DFWDs have had they've advanced quicker than any other class, sure a lot of the basic technology was laid out by tractor puller, but we've had to figure out the rest. I'm sure many tractor puller would laugh at the fact of getting 1500hp out of a communal V8 , . This is the new technology, 1500hp smoke free thanks to common rail. These are m
I look at the power the DFWD guys get out of their little 5.9 and 6.6 blocks and its pretty impressive

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 21, 2011 03:24AM
This is not a new class so there should be no excuse for the breakage. These trucks run all the time. Most of them run against the Blower 4wd's in Ohio. They put on a poor show plain and simple. I did not go this year because because they took out mod 4. I hope they bring them back.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 21, 2011 04:36AM
Why do they take so long to warm up at the sled? Isn't there a warm-up tube setup in the pits at Louisville? If not, I'd say that's the real problem here.

As for getting them to the sled in a timely manner, would it be better to use a wrecker, either a sling or a wheel lift? 3-point just isn't designed to carry that much weight.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 21, 2011 05:06AM
u need to bring the mini rods they put on a great show

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 21, 2011 05:11AM
This trucks are to slow to get going subject has been talked about many times here. I have never in all the pulls I have pulled at or just watched and I have been to alot, seen the diesel trucks not take way to long. You can come up with all the lame reasons you want for the slow show you want, but between breakage and the time between trucks this is no class that should be at a high ticket price event. Buy the way I like the DFWD class but your going to need to fix these problems if your going to be taken seriusly at the big events.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 21, 2011 11:18AM
Tad
This is not a new class so there should be no excuse for the breakage. These trucks run all the time. Most of them run against the Blower 4wd's in Ohio. They put on a poor show plain and simple. I did not go this year because because they took out mod 4. I hope they bring them back.

Which class is newer than it? The DFWD class is very new, and fast paced. Hard to keep up with for many. Do they put on a poor show? Ya they break alot. Give them a few more years to work the bugs out.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 22, 2011 04:07AM
Most of the trucks there are built by Barker machine. He has been building sm4wd trucks for years. These trucks are top quality trucks. I am saying that the money some of the teams have in the trucks they should perform better. Breakage happens but it is the same trucks in this class that always break. This is a common thing for them. It shows that Haisley has there a game setup they always perform well.

Re: Diesel Trucks One and Done February 22, 2011 05:56AM
I've read all the posts above, and I'm a little tired about hearing what trouble it is to move these trucks around. What? The great and all mighty Freedom Hall boys didnt have that figured out ahead of time?
They could have asked the trucks, all of them have pulled numerous times at other indoor venues.
That said, speaking from an ex puller current promoter standpoint, ALLL the pullers Diesel trucks, tractors, and gasser trash, need to bring their A-game when they hook to the sled. Quit monkeying around, hook it and pull! The fans are here to see trucks going down the track, not hoods up fixing 50cent switches.

The poll thats posted is stupid, because everyone on the team of a class that isn't there will vote against the trucks. I would say the buzz and ticket sales, and how many seats were empty during that session, will be the deciding factor.
Ive been there when the gas trucks pulled- it empties the arena.

Re: DFWD February 22, 2011 02:12PM
DFWD - so do you think it is fair to charge $35 or $40 a person to watch a class that is "working the bugs out"? Louisville is the crown jewel and someday the diesel trucks will be a great class that deserves to be there. I just don't think they are to that point yet if they need a couple years to work the bugs out.

Re: DFWD February 22, 2011 02:34PM
I can remember one year when over half the class of prostocks sent their turbos out the smoke tube and barely made it off the line. I can also remember years where most of the diesel supers grenanded on the line or at the 200ft mark. There have been lots of classes that have had lots of problems through the years at various stages so to pick on the diesel trucks for that is unfair. Now at the same time the big problem is there aren't enough actual mod trucks to make a class for the farm show. The class they had was full of a bunch of 3.0 single turbo trucks that either added turbos or ran unlimited to get in the show to fill out the class. That means a lot of these guys had never pulled that setup before so it is no wonder they either broke or had problems. Only about 7 of the trucks could qualify to be mods, and then that is all the mods there are in this side of the US. So the problem is to fill the class everybody that pulls in it is there, even the ones that never are competitive in the 1st place and don't really belong at a best of the best event. The DSS on wednesday was the same way, except at least those guys that were way outclassed had a proven track record, its just they don't compete on the same level. There are trucks like Haisleys that runb awesome and deserve to be at the farm show, but there just aren't enough of them. I think maybe for next year they should pull the top DMFW with the Gas 4x4's. That would make it more interesting and you could fill a class with top notch performers between the two classes. :-)

Re: DFWD March 06, 2011 12:22AM
I am also tired of hearing how Louisville is the crown Jewel of indoor pulling. Giant custer *** if you ask me.

Forrester's SMOKED the NFMS first year out, at Harrisburg, and have done nothing but get better. Better send the crew from Freedom Hall to PA to get some pointers on how to run a fast paced show!!

Re: DFWD March 06, 2011 03:22AM
I prefer watching the gas and diesel 4x4 classes but I'm not going to complain because I might have to set through a couple tractor classes to watch the trucks both the tractors and trucks have there place in Louisville or any other pull it takes a variety of classes to make a good show in my opinion . One thing that I think hurts the super mod 2wd , mod 4x4 and the hotter diesel trucks classes is trucks not running the same brand engine as body , fans like rooting for their favorite brand not just a name of a truck or driver. I remember back in the 80's when TnT had the ss small block 4x4 class a Ford was leading and a Gmc was the last truck to pull and making a strong run down the track the GM fans were on their feet cheering him on he come up a few inches short causing Ford fans to stand up and cheer , there are alot good big block ss 4x4 gas trucks around the country and in this class and I far as I know if you root for a certain brand you are rooting for truck with the same brand engine . With the price of the tickets and are economy you are not going to fill Freedom hall every session no more no matter what classes they have.

Re: DFWD March 06, 2011 04:39AM
Keeping engines specific to the body is a good idea. But that just about puts ford people out of the game unless there are more people with pockets as deep as Ben Millers, its just much easier for those people to put a cummins in. Same reason im sure some of the gas guys dont run certain motors.

theres some strokers out there making some ponies, but they arent advancing fast enough to keep up.

Re: DFWD March 06, 2011 08:30AM
Hey DFWD, you haven't answered my question yet...

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009