NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 03:00AM
I have been doing some thinking about the 2011 version of the NFMS CTP. This was my 13th time going since 1988, so i've seen a bunch of pullers come and go. This year to me seemed real stale. Even the Budweiser frogs didn't get the crowd into it. Quite a few empty seats except for Friday night. It had its moments, thank goodness for the pro stock class, but for the most part just the same old show. Now the NFMS CTP has a unique situation because it is the only event without a conflict. Years ago it was just another TNT event on the schedule, as other organizations had their own events, ie: SRO, USA, etc. After the Indy Super Pull folded, it seemed the NFMS CTS really took over as being the most prestigious indoor pull. As far as star power goes, the best of the best were there once again. My question is-

What would it take to bring back the excitement? Where the empty seats just a product of the economy? Or just leave it alone and change nothing?

I was thinking maybe bring in some different classes. I would really like to see a regional mod class. One of the best classes from years gone by was the 5800 mod class. If you ran this class you could invite from a bunch of different pools, including the Outlaws and all state organizations. Run a 2-hemi, 3-wedge, 2-limited allison rule. Just my opinion.

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 04:14AM
Everyone has there opinion and I respect yours. Here is mine.

Changes need to be made but if you bring the econo mods where do you draw the line. Stock pickups, stock lawn mowers, etc. All classes are entertaining within their proper venue. Watching stop pickups drop a driveshaft is very entertaining. However, keep the NFMS with the high performance classes after all when I go to a large pull event it is for entertainment. I wouldnt pay $45/session and drive 9 hours to watch local festival classes. Only change I see is banning the proven "cheaters" from coming for five years and 10 ten days from the date of infraction.

DPS

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 05:02AM
Dan you offer some great thoughts here. What I noticed in terms of the crowd was a lack of FFA chapters in attendance. As a former Ag Teacher and FFA Advisor, I can understand that the cost to attend has taken an uptick in recent years. There was a chapter from Tennessee that Im pretty sure has been there for the past 30 plus years and I didnt hear them recognized. Maybe its time for a discount for the kids if there isn't one already in place. The a portion of the future of the sport could very well sit in the nosebleeds behind the sled.

As for changing the show up, I like the idea of the following classes, IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER: Light Pro, Limited Pro 4.1 and Light Limited Super. There is a wealth of these tractors out there to choose from and of those out there you can definitely find 16 of each to get up and run and put on a good show. LSS deserves a spot in the Saturday evening show, bring back 6 of them and by the beginning of 2012 I would bet there will be enough hard running diesels to mix it up with the alcohol tractors to make it more interesting. As for the diesel trucks, I offer two words: Growing Pains. A unique class with unique challenges in that arena, Im sure everyone learned something in that class, and likely to make it better.

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 05:03AM
One thing that would help is to bring in some different color. Since this is an invatation pull you could invite some pullers with other brands. Leave out the guys who are invited because they know somebody not because they have have a top machine. Gordyville has a much better pull just not the facilities because they have a lot of colors it gets more people involved. Also you can only watch so many cookie cutter 4 engine mods bring in some turbines and allisons .With todays componit tractors its just not as exciting thank god for supper farm at least there is more than just the sheet metal to call it a tractor

Re:NTPA/PPL? February 23, 2011 05:29AM
maybe its time for louisville to sanction with either NTPA or PPL???

Re: Re:NTPA/PPL? February 23, 2011 05:39AM
I think if you cant fill the seats, lower the prices of tickets and or parking. As for the pull, change the classes from year to year. If a class does not work, dont bring it back.

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 06:56AM
Here is a thought...
1. Give the SF's spot in the finals to the LtSS class.
2. Take the 3 SF qualifying positions & maybe the diesel truck class position and make a rotation of those classes & the ones Brian mentioned above plus the mod 4x4 class that used to pull Saturday afternoon OR maybe have 1 SF class every year but rotate the pullers so that no one pulls more often than every 3 years or so and do what I mentioned above with the other slots.

That leaves the high HP classes intact year after year & moves a variey thru the other spots.

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 07:14AM
Lss needs to replace one prostock class and have a final appearance. Mini rods should replace diesel trucks (entertaining but too slow). Would hate to see limited pro, llss, or econo mods. Unless willing to drop superfarm. Price of beer could be lowered too! And add a little color to the classes.

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 07:23AM
If you want color, had the LLSS

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 08:02AM
bring back the mod 4x4 class "alky motors" great class with plenty of trucks to choose from! the saturday afternoon show needed more noise!

Run FWD in the last class Saturday afternoon February 23, 2011 08:14AM
if you really want to see how popular the FWD class then run them last in the afternoon session. nobody leaves when the PS class is last, lets try that with FWD!

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 08:20AM
I have always wondered how fans would react to two weekends of pulling. The Farm Machinery Show is aimed at farmers and thus Tractors really fit the mold for the pulling weekend. Though I love the Two Wheel Drives, I have wondered if it would be beneficial to add a truck pull component back to the North American Truck Show that is held at the Kentucky Fair and Expo Center in March. I understand there is a hassle in removing the dirt from the building and bringing it back in but it gives pulling an opportunity to reach to seperate markets. Those that are in for the Farm Show, are not typically in for the Truck Show and vice versa. The major burden comes down on the committee and crew for preparing an event. I guess since they did not sell out the event this year, maybe it is a poor idea to think to add more to the docket.

In doing so, you free up more opportunities to add other classes to the Tractor Weekend and can add numerous truck classes to the truck show weekend!

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 08:53AM
i was there on wed and thurs nite, the mods and the twd trucks took FOREVER! people around us were sleeping inbetween pulls. the track crew (the ones who pulled the pullers when they got done pulling) seemed like they were in another world, like they have never driven a tractor before. one even pulled out on the track while a twd truck was pulling. come on this is the big one as far as pulls go, they need to speed things along faster so its not so boring. also this may be unpopular but the announcing was bad. argue if you must but it was flat out bad.. sometimes you had to wait 2 or 3 pulls to get the last persons distance, Butch seemed confused most of the time, not making sence and rambling on about nothing, Dave couldn't have been any louder, it was bad. for as much as it costs for this "big event" the crew has to a much better job. there are many local announcers that would have done a much better job,

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 10:05AM
Since when is a 5800 pd mod class witch can run twin hemies one or two allisons or twin to three chevys an econo mod class? They can make more power then 80 percent of any of the tractors (or other vheicles) that pulled there last week!

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 10:16AM
was there
also this may be unpopular but the announcing was bad. argue if you must but it was flat out bad.. sometimes you had to wait 2 or 3 pulls to get the last persons distance, Butch seemed confused most of the time, not making sence and rambling on about nothing, Dave couldn't have been any louder, it was bad. for as much as it costs for this "big event" the crew has to a much better job. there are many local announcers that would have done a much better job,

I agree 100% When Baders finally moved the sled over in Pro-Stock, and the distance was announced, I believe it went something like this... "Well, I guess that makes him the new leader" Talk about excitement......
I vote for Stacy and Jon from Wisconsin.

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 10:34AM
even the people thatt were putting the distances on the score board were either in the wrong class or when a class started over they neveer started over, they just left the names up that had to rehook. the score board people need to be more aware of whats going on with the tractors. you never knew what distances anybody had.
I didn't think the announcing was that bad. the show seemed to drag. i watched them trying to move pullers and the pull back tractor driveres where getting directions from 3 different guys in red. they need to get better drivers for the pull back vehclies. It would help if the sled could pull the tractors and trucks back 20 feet and then unhook. they even pulled a fwd when one was parked on the track at the finish line. they need to put the LtSS class in one of the shows on wed or thurs nite and put them in the finals. move the SF to saturday afternoon for the finals. I agree bring a class of 2 hemi-3 chevy allison engine mods for saturday afternoon. the need to rotate the saturday afternoon class , have LLSS or minis or 4.1 bring in a new class for saturday afternoon every year.. and run the diesel and alky LtSS together.

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 12:29PM
I would love to see super semi's i know hard to stop on short track but there is not to many people that dont like to see semis's

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 01:09PM
As long as the semis are they would only pull about 200 feet and they would be in the sand.I like them but they would never get them turned around.

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 01:28PM
I agree, they're just not feasible in there, not enough room. and to top it off the only way to stop them would be to never let them build any speed up.

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 01:13PM
I for one hate the mods!! Hate the 4 wheelers also!! To each their own. I enjoy sf, ps,ss,lss,dss. not so much impressed with the llss. What is so different from them and sf, they are still limited on something. Anytime I have watched them in murfreesboro I was disappointed, the diesel trucks were in their first year give them a chance. The 4.1 class would be a good class! Everybody complained the sf turbo killed them, they fixed that and you don't think you would enjoy that? Them babies are runnin!

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 02:10PM
With out the negitive post's on here, My question is, Why not try the Super Mod 4x4 trucks? Or is it just the fact that they arnt as popular in other states as they are here in Ohio?

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 03:25PM
Here is my NFMS Pull Start on Tuesday not Wednesday

Tuesday
4WD Trucks
Light Super Stock Diesel
TWD Run 15-20
Wednesday
Super Stock Diesel
Pro Stock
Mod

Thursday
Super Stock Open
Light Super Stock Alcohol
Super Farm

Friday
Pro Stock
Super Farm
FWD Diesel Trucks

Saturday
Super Farm
Pro Stock
TWD Trucks

And let everyone have some fun in the finals on saturday night

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 03:48PM
There are better class that put on a better show. Like a 540 class.

Re: NFMS- what needs to be changed or leave it alone February 23, 2011 04:28PM
Short track minis daaa

NFMS Reaction, What can be changed, Lets keep things in perspective!!!!!! February 23, 2011 12:38PM
Hey Everyone,

Well we have all had some time to reflect on the farm show. First let me say that I have going to the farm show for a long time and most likely will continue to go until either they quit having the pull or I am no longer able to attend for health reasons. Now let me say that I thought that the pull was on par with other years as far as the show. I will say that a couple classes did not seem to be as good this year as in other years. The two classes that to me were not as good were the mod class and twd class. The main reason that I did not think the twd class was not as good was the sled setting. I think the sled was a little tight. I think if the sled was about a ton weight lighter it would have been a better show.

I must say that I didn't not think the track was very good. It seemed to me that a lot of pullers were having a hard time getting a hooked to the track especially out of the hole. It did not seem like the track was as tight down track either because a lot of pullers were taking different lanes down the track. If the past if you wanted to hit the sand you aimed for the one corner of the track but that was not the case for the finals. Another thing I noticed this year is that from about the 200 ft mark on the track was like a washboard. Lots of ruts and bouncing. If anyone wants to disagree with that they are full of it because when the roller or grader tractors hit those areas they bounced up and down like they were hitting ditches.

I thought that all the tractor classes were good but I thought the two best classes of the night were the sf and prostock. Yes the sf. I know that lots of people gripe about this class but what was not to like. There was a good mix of red to green, five red, three green. It came down to last tractor to see who was going to win. The distances were close and most of the tractors stayed above the charger. As far as the prostock class except that there were only three red ones I thought it was a great class. No matter who one it was going to be a great story.

I think that the main problem that showed itself this year was the ticket price. They have been raising the price every year for quite a few years now and I think they have reached the price ceiling for a while. While I won't quit going because for the price if I was buying eight to ten sets for the week I would strongly examine whether I want to continue to plunk out a couple thousand dollars. I really believe that is the reason there were a lot of empty seats although I was really supprised about the crowd saturday night.

Now to the last issue, some of us really need to grow up. All I have been hearing the last few years is I can't believe they aren't having this class or that class. Also I keep hearing if they don't have certain classes I am not going this year. For the love of god grow up. Some people on here sound like spoiled little brats that throw a temper tantrum when they don't get their way. The NFMS will decide what classes will be booked. To be completely honest I think Gordyville is having too many classes and is trying to keep too many people happy. While Klint won't agree with me on here I bet if he would be asked privately I will bet that is a big cause of his stress every year wondering what competitor will get p****** because his class is not there. Well this thing is long enoungh so I will end it. I know that I will be back next year and can't wait for it to get here.

Re: NFMS Reaction, What can be changed, Lets keep things in perspective!!!!!! February 24, 2011 01:40PM
Who wants to see just red and green? I was at the NTPA pull in Brandenburg and watched the Light limited class, there were 20 plus tractors 5 in the pull off, one of every brand I could think of alky and diesel running together. it doesn't get better than that. They put on the best show of the night in my opinion. The brands represented in this class include: Allis, Case, Ih, Deutz, Case IH, Ford, Newholland, Oliver, White, MF, Cockshut, Moline, JD, Farmall.
I also watched a few of these guys jump up in the LSS at Georgetown Oh. A little 4 cyl M farmall took 5th. They weren't looking very limited that night they beat half of the LSS tractors and there were some big names there. The crowd would go wild if that many brands of tractors rolled in freedom hall.

[www.youtube.com]

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009