Cheating - When is pump lube more than just lube? February 26, 2011 01:51AM
The other thread is way too long, so I am starting a new one. What if....there was a water-soluble "pump lube" that has internal combustion performance enhancers in it and it has been on the open industrial market for 15 years or so? Is it cheating, then, if a competitor (leave names out of it) tries or experiments with it? Given that there are chemists (and engineers, etc.) involved in pulling, can't they push the envelope (as has been done for years in pulling, actually since the first neighborly tug-off)? If a competitor found this miracle lube (meets all the requirements of water-soluble oil) and uses it, because it is water-soluble oil, is he/she cheating?? Just because it isn't Max's (no disrespect) recommended NAPA lube, does that make it illegal?? Just another perspective for people to ponder before a lot of people throw another person "under the bus", understanding that competitors were given the water at the NFMS and were not to use any other (that is the only fact I see in this debacle). Just sayin'.............JW

Edit--Sorry, I guess this should have been part of the other post about "levels of cheating" but it wasn't at the top of the board when I started the comment. I really shouldn't have used Salenbein's name in the subject line either. JW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 05:24AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Cheating - When is pump lube more than just lube? February 26, 2011 05:03AM
You forgot you have 2 issues, rule says "water and soluable oil, no other additives, AND it must pass the test. If you used "magic" soluable oil and water and you did not put anything else in it, it still would not be legal if it does not pass the test. If you use water, soluable oil, plus other chemicals, and you get it to pass the "current" test, it would be considered cheating, because you added other chemicals. I bet they don't publish the lab report on the water that didn't pass the test at Louisville, because it will show all sorts of chemicals in the water. Lab test will disclose EVERYTHING, even parts of a knats wing if it flew over the open bottle. Quit playing with horsepower in a can. Play by the intent of the rules, and enjoy pulling and life in general.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 05:24AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Cheating - When is pump lube more than just lube? February 26, 2011 05:45AM
Jim,

That’s a very interesting discussion. It exploits a gray area in the rules that isn’t covered well.

Lets just look at the term “water soluble oil” well, water soluble is pretty clear, but oil is a very, very vague term Has anyone defined what that means in terms of pulling? Not that I know of. There are tons and tons of “oils” which technically aren’t even “oils” but rather lubricants. Technically oil is a hydrophobic liquid so I don’t believe it’s possible to have a water soluable oil… but rather a water soluable lubricant. It seems like a minor difference... like saying “motor” when we are really talking about and “engine”, but for this discussion that minor difference means we don’t really have a clear definition of what is, and conversely what isn’t legal in NTPA, PPL or Outlaws.

Is it time for major organization to specify a handful of pump lubes that are acceptable. Should the NTPA and PPL step up to the plate and work together to come up with a list of 4 or 5 lubes and their maximum ratios in distilled water?

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Cheating - When is pump lube more than just lube? February 26, 2011 09:13AM
Very well said Jake, yes indeed establish some parameters so we all don't have to have a sample checked every time we change pump lube or change pump lube rate. Do you know, what does the water test actually pick up , I guess what actually triggers a failed water sample. Is it specific ingredients that are identified or orygenators or what. Just curious if you have had a conversation with NTPA or PPL techs about their testing procedures.

Re: Cheating - When is pump lube more than just lube? February 26, 2011 09:40AM
we went to a pull in duquion il,a few years ago, my son washed out a empty sunny delight orange juice jug and put tap water in it for water injection, the tech man came around to check water and we had not flushed our system out yet, (was full of antifreeze) so he tested the water in the juice bottle, dont know what you call it but it was a small battery powered device and it detected something in the water, when you smelled the jug you could smell orange juice

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009