question for all the MOLINE guys February 26, 2011 01:06PM
i have recently came across a pair of HD504 natural gas/lp power unit engines. it was interesting to see that they had an individual coil, per spark plug, id never seen that before. but my question is, is whether there is a significant difference between a regular 504 (out of a G1000 for example) and the HD504 in reference to the blocks. i know that in the pulling world it is a better idea to find a diesel block that does not have the hole in the side for the governor but is there a difference? it is always spoken of the HD800s but is there a regular numbered 800? both of the engines i located have the 4232 heads on them, at one time they have been off because the paint is a different color. isnt the 4229 heads the ones to get? and what is the difference. im only interested in the crankshafts of these engines for a possible future project but just figured id try to get some further knowledge. thanks- jeff

Re: question for all the MOLINE guys February 26, 2011 02:03PM
It's hard to say never or always about anything because it's seems like there is some exception somewhere, but I don't believe the 800 was offered as anything other than a power unit. I've also never seen one with a hole in the side for a governer.

Re: question for all the MOLINE guys February 26, 2011 03:04PM
The 4232 heads are unaable to fit the 800's and the others the 4229 are on the 800's only. And there were a few of the 800's came out in the A4T-1600. from the factory

Eric Prewitt
The Prewitt Pulling Team
Public Relations for
The Pulling Radio Network

Re: question for all the MOLINE guys February 27, 2011 11:50AM
Here's some good info on MM cylinder heads. Hope the link works.

[fiorelli.tripod.com]

There is a standard 800, about 125 hp if I remember right. The 800HD was around 165 on nat. gas I think.

I have 4231 heads on my 605HD, 4232 are higher compression and more desirable. You should get your hands on those. Can't help you on the block difference.

Re: question for all the MOLINE guys February 28, 2011 05:04AM
I am pretty sure any A4T1600 with an 800 was dealer installed. They came on the trailer together when ordered.

Re: question for all the MOLINE guys February 28, 2011 05:57AM
In reference to the blocks, I believe (don't hold me to this) that if you compare the part numbers of a regular 504 and an HD504 ( both propane), they should be different.
I believe a diesel block will have yet another different part number. I had and HD605 on propane and the blocks had a different part number than a earlier standard 605. Supposedly the later blocks had more webbing and more metal inside them and were a little heavier.

If you want good concrete info, call Carol Wells at Dimmitt Equip, Dimmitt, TX and he will set it straight. That dealership back in the day was selling hundreds of moline power units a year and they put turbos on them as well. Good place for good info.

Re: question for all the MOLINE guys February 28, 2011 08:38AM
thanks guys, the trouble with so much of this old iron is there are getting to be less and less people that know the differences. i messed around with the 195(302-320) waukesha engines for a few years and it was amazing the different internals, especially cranks that were available depending on the application. im currently in texas in oil feild country and i could spend days in some of the boneyards. if only i had a crane truck, flatbed and a pile of cash...then again it may be a good thing that i dont!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,688, Posts: 229,793, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,956.

Our newest member Jason