Western farms show thoughts February 28, 2011 01:23AM
Went to the show, here is my feelings:

1 At the NFMS one can look at the tractors in Broadband at no charge, at KC they wanted 5 dollars to go down (-)

2 At the NFMS the best of the best pull and the tractors are close in HP for a good show, at KC there was a 1000 hp difference in the ssd class (-)
and in the Pro stock class there was 2 tractors that had never ran before with rookie drivers........let alone a mod that has never made it down the track

3 The price to get in was about the same as the price at the NFMS (+) But at the NFMS you go a lot of really good iron (-)

4 If this was suspose to be a champion tractor pull, then why was :
A the sled a rookie, IF you want the best pull, hire the best sleds, Hager and Bauer are the best, yet they were not there. And the sled
settings proved it
B Come on, Rookie drivers and first time out tractors are not champion material..............and a mod that never went down the track....
and still hasen't
C 200' track..........that is a tough one to fix.........the guys that I talked to said the sled was set way heavy, and the tractors were
tugging it from the go.
D Track prep could have been better before.......get rid of the dozer and get a blade to pull it to grade

5 Tow tractor operators need to be taken out back and slapped around. These are pulling tractors and they need to be treated with care. I saw a tow tractor grab Porters tractor and pull it out. Did not have the front wheels up high enough and ended up turning the wheels hard. The tow drivers showed no "care" and Porter should have drug the driver off the seat and pounded him (ok maybe not but you get the idea)

6 Over all a OK show. I think Doug needs to be the promotor and get someone in that knows how to put a indoor show on. Klint Tucker has got it figured out. Doug would be ahead to hire Klint and let him run the show.

7. Over all grade C-

Re: Western farms show thoughts February 28, 2011 01:57AM
You are being too tough on this pull.Just remember we havent had pulling in Kansas City for many years and this was a great new start.Louisville probably didnt run totally smooth back in 1969.

The sled sets were real good on Sat evening...Having all the winners between 176 and 200 ft isnt easy to do on a short track.The track prep was great and I wouldnt change a thing.

For the most part the tow tractor drivers did fine.For such a small area I was amazed that they didnt all run in to each other.

This was basically an Outlaw pull and you've got to remember that theres just not a ton of Modified,DSS, and PS tractors west of the Mississippi..If I want to see NTPA or PPL tractors I'll go back east.

I'll give Sat evening an A-..I went home feeling good about the pull and so did my friends.

Re: Western farms show thoughts February 28, 2011 02:17AM
OK show for the first time but it really drug on. We left before the end both nights. They need another building or heated tents outside so they can bring one/two class in at a time and have warm up stations for the diesels.

Re: Western farms show thoughts February 28, 2011 03:15AM
Ok everyone has their thoughts so heres mine. I thought it was a little expensive to take a family. 27 dollars at the door was ok for an adult but come on give the kids a break it cost the same for them no mater the age and thats just WRONG!!!!!!!! Also have a Free pit so people can see what we are promoting here. I never did believe a promoter should make money showing off MY equipment to the general public!!! If that doesn"t change for next year I"ll be leaving the Grandkids at home. Yes the warmup issue I believe there is surety an answer to that and if not then that could be a future show killer. I'll defend the sled boys on their performance. I think they did a good Job on the sled settings for the 1st time. Give them a few years of history like they have at Loiusville on sled settings and they could make Hager & Bauer look like (what did the previous post call Bumgarts??) beginners. Ok Doug if you are going to call this a Championship pull then lets have one but if its a everyday pull like this one was then call it what it is!!! All in all I feel like it was a good pull and I for one am ticked to death to have indoor pulling back in Mo. I go to Louisville every year and enjoy the pull there but lets be a little more original and try not to copy Louisville so much in the way we do things in K.C. All in all I'd say a show well done for the 1st time back at K C MISSOURI.

Re: Western farms show thoughts February 28, 2011 04:51AM
My thoughts on price & seating. Louisville is now $37 for Fri. & $45 for Sat. Kansas City is $22 for Fri. & $27 for Sat. Not a bad price at all. You can get discounted tickets early from any exibitor at the farm show $5 off that price. Said they were going to reserve seating next year so had to have same policy as Loisville and other places , kids three and under free, but have to sit in lap. With reserve seating and pop comes in with 3 kids under 6 and all seats are reseverd, were are all of them going to sit. You want to sit beside someone with 3 kids in the same seat. Great show and will only get better. Doug can promote and they had lots of sponsors, all the suites were full and I am sure they will get beeter each year. No one had nothing but good to say about the pull when you walked around the farm show.

Re: Western farms show thoughts February 28, 2011 05:26AM
Show watcher
the guys that I talked to said the sled was set way heavy, and the tractors were tugging it from the go.

Unfortunately it'll be a fact of life on a 200 ft. track. You just can't let them build up any speed and still expect to stop them by 200 ft.

Re: Western farms show thoughts February 28, 2011 06:31AM
ParkerFly
Show watcher
the guys that I talked to said the sled was set way heavy, and the tractors were tugging it from the go.

Unfortunately it'll be a fact of life on a 200 ft. track. You just can't let them build up any speed and still expect to stop them by 200 ft.

Very true..That sand pile isnt going to stop much and the next thing that they will hit is going to do some major damage.. Its just a fact of life that the sled needs to be hard to pull on a short indoor track..

Re: Western farms show thoughts February 28, 2011 07:29AM
I have been thinking on this subject of letting the tractor getting up and run......

If you throw extra weight in the pan and then trip it at say 140' Wouldn't the extra weigh stop the tractor by 200. This is a indoor pull so a hard stop would put on a better show because the track speed would be there. Or is the sleds that were used not able to do that. I have been told they copied a old Iron man sled......maybe they should have bought a new one and copied it instead...Just thinking...............

Re: Western farms show thoughts March 01, 2011 02:24AM
yes, but the extra weight is what makes the sled harder to pull. that combined with having to run the box in a MUCH higher gear makes it harder to pull also. you're having to propel the box down the rails and top it out 100 ft. sooner than you normally would, and that creates a lot more parasitic drag through the sled.
Bauer or Hagar wouldn't ahve been able to put on any better of a show IMO. Bungarts sleds are very close to Bauers with all the modern changes and featuers a new bauer sled would have.

Re: Western farms show thoughts March 01, 2011 04:34AM
ParkerFly
yes, but the extra weight is what makes the sled harder to pull. that combined with having to run the box in a MUCH higher gear makes it harder to pull also. you're having to propel the box down the rails and top it out 100 ft. sooner than you normally would, and that creates a lot more parasitic drag through the sled.
Bauer or Hagar wouldn't ahve been able to put on any better of a show IMO. Bungarts sleds are very close to Bauers with all the modern changes and featuers a new bauer sled would have.

Agreed...Some people just dont seem to understand that this was an indoor pull on a short track...The sled did a great job.

Re: Western farms show thoughts February 28, 2011 08:26AM
If my outlook on life was as negative as yours I think i would just go hang myself!!!

Re: Western farms show thoughts February 28, 2011 10:16AM
I'm sorry to tick you off but I am intitled to my view and I am a very happy person. I just expected more than a summer Outlaw pull that I can go to for 10 or 15 dollars and drive 30 miles to. I dumped over 400 dollars to drive to the pull, food, hotel and tickets to the show for my family.

Everything that I posted was dead on correct. I was not making anything up. If you really want all the negative things, I can go on a whole lot more. Only if you want me too........

One thing I did not say and I should have was a big hats off to Dave and his "side kick" (they are both really good......) Also the young lady that sang......WOW

Re: Western farms show thoughts February 28, 2011 12:12PM
I'm not sure if Kemper was full enough to start selling reserve seating just yet. General Admission seamed to work quite fine. I'd say until they fill 3/4 the lower level and 1/2 the upper leave it as is. Again only my opinion.

Re: Western farms show thoughts February 28, 2011 04:32PM
I was not at the show but if you think Hager has and does a better job with his sleds then you might want to really think about your opinion! I could start and go all night with the problems with Hager's sleds and all the wrecks he has had. The XFACTOR GUY'S are really good at what they do. If you knew anything about sleds you would know the difference. Or better yet if you have ever pulled one.

Re: Western farms show thoughts March 01, 2011 12:23AM
KP I agree with you 100%. I have known Dave since he was a kid and I like Dave but don't like to pull his sled. Much to sudden stop for smaller tractors. MACK

Re: Western farms show thoughts March 01, 2011 03:02AM
Hager sled does stop you faster than a 10 ft HAY RAKE, which is what little tractors should be tied to.

Re: Western farms show thoughts March 01, 2011 04:35AM
a 10 foot hay rake might me too much for them powerful burpin,fartin show stoppers,MACK sure doesn't care who he bad mouths with his opinions,maybe somewheir they will start using step on sleds again just for him.

Re: Western farms show thoughts March 01, 2011 02:41PM
Hay rake, I don't know who you are because you are not man enough to post your name like I did.
As far as bad mouthing, I did not bad mouth any one. I only gave my openion like every one else has done. You are the one running your mouth and don't back it up. If I bad mouthed any one print what I said. MACK

Re: Western farms show thoughts March 02, 2011 04:21AM
all of the modern day sleds in operation today are a result of Dave Hager's inovation and a life's work of dedication to the sport of pulling,you can not hook on to a bauer sled,bumbgart sled,singer sled,and many others that designed something new,no he was not pattened protected,he should have been in my estimation but it is so easy to get around a patten,all of the major oem's do so all the time,yes mack you are entitled to your opinion,however when people get on this board and run someone down,no matter who it is,it is a black eye on the sport in general,it would be much better to act professional,rather than hillbilly,most people are only concerned only about themselves and their pulling machines,when it would be better to be an ambassador for the betterment of pulling at all levels,just ask yourselves what child do you want to leave a good impression on,that wants to grow up and be a puller just like you,not all shows are going to go smooth all the time,the sled setting is not always going to be perfect,your pulling machine is not always going to run perfect,track condition's vary at every pull,and no one is going to win all the time,do you work harder to make things better,do you put a smile on your face when things don't go your way,when one has done the best they can that is all we can do that day,do you lean from it and try to improve,or do you come on here and spread garbage that is bad for the sport,we all love pulling and thank you to the Morgan's for this website,let's all just try to be better people,be a little more understanding,give credit wheir credit is due,remember we are on this earth a very short time,pulling will go on after we are gone,hopefully!! how do you want to be remembered,will they say you did everything you could for all of the sport of pulling?my name is Kernal.

Re: Western farms show thoughts March 01, 2011 07:56AM
I've pulled them all for a many a year,my personal preference are hager sled's,with Dave operating it,The bigest wreck I have ever seen was a Ludke sled,the next biggest wreck I have seen was on a Bauer sled,it can happen to all of them,it is not always the sled's or operators fault,some times it is the puller's fault,breakage is not always the sled's fault,their are more variables to setting up the pulling vehicle,tire pressure,weight location,drawbar height,clutch,and most of all the operator and who set's the vehicle up.

Re: Western farms show thoughts March 03, 2011 04:09AM
I did not attend the Western Farm Show pull so I can not comment on the sled, however I have been to several indoor shows that use Dave Hager’s sleds and smoke machines and I can say without exception that Dave and Crew put on a show that is flawless. Dave can take any class, or combinations of vehicles and put on a first rate pull. Dave’s sleds seldom, if ever have down time and his smoke machine gives both the fans and pullers a “smoke free” event. The sleds that Dave, Vaughn or any other of the top sled operators bring to an event have been one of the most significant improvements in the sport in the last 20 years.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Western farms show thoughts March 01, 2011 02:02AM
Show watcher
I'm sorry to tick you off but I am intitled to my view and I am a very happy person. I just expected more than a summer Outlaw pull that I can go to for 10 or 15 dollars and drive 30 miles to. I dumped over 400 dollars to drive to the pull, food, hotel and tickets to the show for my family.

Everything that I posted was dead on correct. I was not making anything up. If you really want all the negative things, I can go on a whole lot more. Only if you want me too........

One thing I did not say and I should have was a big hats off to Dave and his "side kick" (they are both really good......) Also the young lady that sang......WOW

So whom were you expecting to be at this pull? Were you expecting this to be a Louisville,Bowling Green,Tomah?The list of competitors had been on the Western Farm Show site for several months.If they didnt meet your expectations you should have just stayed at home.I've driven much farther and paid $15-20 for Outlaw pulls that had far less competitors than this.

I've been around pulling for over 40 years and have been to at least 750 pulls.For this part of the country this was a very good pull and it sure broke up the winter blues.

The X-Factor sled did a great job Sat evening.He only missed the sled setting on one class.I've hooked this sled and its a nice one.

Re: Western farms show thoughts March 01, 2011 09:12AM
this really shows your ignorance "get a blade to put track on grade" ! we are in dirt work business and the dozer that was being used had a laser guided system on it making it level and with the dozer it was able to get closer to ends than with a blade. Before the show started we was down on track and it was level .Hats off to the crew they did a fine job ,cant wait for next year.As for you, know it all , maybe you should be the promotor you have all the answers or better yet just stay home and shut your mouth.

Re: Western farms show thoughts March 01, 2011 02:51PM
the only complaint i have is length of the track, even another 20' would make a huge difference

Re: Western farms show thoughts March 02, 2011 11:34AM
I pull because I like the fact that every night is on a new track with diffrent sleds and new fans. If i wanted everything the same night after night I would drag race at the same track on the weekends. I am not going to defend Mack but how many of you have been on a pulling tractor for over 40 years? I thought it was a good show and will go back because it's Feb. and I need out of the house for a weekend.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009