Can a pro run with a super? February 28, 2011 08:32AM
Have been watching some old OSTPA pulls lately and noticed how dominant Wilkins & Lorenz were with the Snake and Shotgun Red. What made these two so unstoppable? Insane cubes for the era (late 80s, early 90s)? Great chassis?

A lot of times Wilkins would run with the Supers too and gave them everything they wanted, even beating them sometimes. So with that in mind, could that happen now? Could a pro stock beat a super, assuming no DQs or breakage? If so, which tractors have what it takes to knock out a super. Just for ease of discussion, let's only consider tractors on a state or national circuit or NTPA Regional tractors.

Re: Can a pro run with a super? February 28, 2011 09:33AM
They run them together in usa east pulls, there is a weight and hitch variance. Got it pretty close either can win on any night.

Re: Can a pro run with a super? February 28, 2011 10:51AM
East Coast runs a pro super combo. Pros have a 500lbs advatage. Last year the pros won 15, while the supers won 6.

Re: Can a pro run with a super? February 28, 2011 11:00AM
OSTPA, has a pull where the Prostocks and Superstocks run together in one class, it is at the Ottawa Co. Fair
Here is Last years Results
PS/SS CHALLENGE
# Name Vehicle Distance Distance
1 275 MIKE LINDER LINDER BROTHERS 300.23
2 142 BILL KEENER XXX 296.91
3 181 STEVE ORTNER OLD SCHOOL 289.97
4 268 JEREMY SMITH 310 EXPRESS 277.64
5 51 CHRIS FRANCE HOMEWRECKER 276.71
6 239 MONTE MCCOY DUSK TILL DAWN 268.97
7 209 FRANK KEENER BAMBI 268.72
8 153 JOHN CESPEDES FOOLS GOLD 264.52
9 49 DANNY DUKES LITE MY FIRE 263.76
10 212 TRACEY VARNS HEAD GAMES 250.52
11 12 DAVE MANDRICK RED DEVIL 233.08
12 40 SHAWN MILLER 216.36
13 204 JEFF HOTHEM FULLY LOADED 189.28
14 137 RYAN WALTERS CHASIN TAIL 187.07
15 31 CHARLES MILLER CHARLES CITY EXPRESS 141.35
16 214 KENNETH GRAVATT CORNHUSKER EDITION 1.00 BROKE

Re: Can a pro run with a super? February 28, 2011 11:18AM
Just to clarify the 500lbs does that mean the pros weighed 10700 (10200 + 500) and the supers were at their normal weight. Sorry dont know the specifics of the super classes. Or were the pros at 10200 and the supers at 9700 or some other 500lb difference.

DPS

Re: Can a pro run with a super? February 28, 2011 11:28AM
USA East Smoker Series Pro/Super combo. 9500# supers vs 10000# Pros.

Re: Can a pro run with a super? March 01, 2011 12:59AM
If those weights are accurate, then they're giving SSD 1500lbs, not 500lbs to run with PS. Add in the 30.5 tire as opposed to the 24.5 as well. This substantiates my belief that these classes are about equal on HP now if you compare the average of the top 5-10 in whatever series you look at.

I wonder what you'd see if both were at 10k and both ran the same tire.

Re: Can a pro run with a super? February 28, 2011 12:24PM
Shramek ran the king of deeres pro in the GN super class for a couple of years, but never won against the best supers out there.

Re: Can a pro run with a super? March 01, 2011 12:19AM
here in minnesota the very few pro stocks that there is namely one (PRO FOX) runs with the supers and he is very competitive, im not sure what weight he runs at im assuming its close to the supers. My opinion is if you were starting out pulling and wanted to pull something with a little more hp than a super farm i think you could be in the points hunt with a cheaper pro stock that is reliable. you may not win much but top three and fours at every hook isnt that bad. since alot of the top running supers seem to always have hickups during the season.Grinning

Re: Can a pro run with a super? March 01, 2011 03:12AM
I’d say that there are probably less than a dozen DSS that are at that top tier level that would beat a top tier PS most of the time. I think the rest of the DSS and PS could probably run heads up at even weight and put on a very competitive show.

The King of Deere’s did run with the DSS a few years back. If my memory serves me correctly, Brian picked up a third place finish in Bowling Green. Brian did run a 650 motor with 30.5 tires that season, he also had a little different cam than most of the true PS. It was definately a bit of a unique setup and not a true PS.

I do think it would be interesting to see a top tier PS run the entire NTPA DSS circuit just to see where it would finish at both individual events and year end points.

As a side note: you might just see the King of Deere’s back in the DSS class this summer, but it may not have that single charger under the hood anymore.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Can a pro run with a super? March 01, 2011 06:31AM
it would be interesting to have a pro-stock pull, then put some 30.5 tires on and run in just to see the distance difference.

Re: Can a pro run with a super? March 01, 2011 06:49AM
Woverine runs a mix class dss at 8300 with 20 inch draw bar , pros at 9500 with 18 inch draw bar , superfarms at 9300 with 20 inch draw bar its an interesting class have seen dss, pros and superfarms all win at 1 time or another. personaly i think it helps cause if not we would only have 3 or 4 in each class except maybe 8 or so in the superfarm. 14 or 15 in a class makes it better for the spectators and with this set up seems even.

Re: Can a pro run with a super? March 01, 2011 03:03PM
the engine was the same(ps) in" kod" and most of the hooks it finished in the top 5-6 and keep in mind brian didn't want it to cost youngblood any points

Re: Can a pro run with a super? March 04, 2011 11:40PM
ive seen the lite my fire pro pull in a super class last year and beat keeners xxx so id say a good running pro can run with the best of the best supers a 24.5 is going to hook up to most tracks a lot better than a 30.5 usually does

Re: Can a pro run with a super? March 05, 2011 04:57AM
Doing it once is one thing, but beating a top running super consistently is doubtful.

Re: Can a pro run with a super? March 05, 2011 02:56PM
jd4455ssd
Doing it once is one thing, but beating a top running super consistently is doubtful.

i disagree completely. consistency is what gives a pro stock the edge.

for example, last year nytpa @ st. hyacinthe (2), schaghticoke (2), chatham, syracuse:

1. last chance 272 pts. (pro stock)
2. final decision 220
3. edge of a dream 214
4. magnum force 182

pro stock wins on points easily over very decent supers. fewer 1st places, but very consistent.

Re: Can a pro run with a super? August 07, 2011 07:21AM
In Nytpa pro stocks and super farm tractors get a weight advantage over super stocks so they can be competitive. Take it away and your numbers will surely change.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,763, Posts: 229,924, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,020.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM