A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 02, 2011 02:20PM
How much difference in an A-pump or P-pump on a 466 cube 2.75 charger 3000rpm class tractor. Which would be the best and is there enough difference to notice in this class. I know the p is probably better but some pulls only allow a-pumps so should you just put the a-pump on so you can run anywhere or p-pump and just runn where they are allowed. What a-pump or p-pump is the best for this class. Any info would be appreciated.

Re: A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 02, 2011 10:03PM
You can get 14mm A-Pumps that outperform 13mm P...
A 14mm A costs roughly twice as much as a 13mm P, as the case needs to be machined and the plungers are custom made (in Czechia).
Of course you can do the same deal with a P and stuff up to 17mm plungers into them with the same effort.

Question is: How much fuel and how quick do you need it with a 2.75 inlet limit...

Here is a picture of a IH DT 402, bored out to 510 cui with a 2,68" (68mm) air restrictor, intercooler and 14mm A pump, built and own by the owner of one of the biggest Pump shops in Germany, who has done like 400 pumps for other Pulling tractors in the past.
He is free to run any pump in this class - but choose for an A, as it was "less hassle to fit it in the original drive as the P, which would have touched the block". Seems to me like he didn't expect much more power out of the P.
Lindemann Diesel Technik

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2011 10:25PM by Sascha.

Re: A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 02, 2011 11:32PM
If all tractors are running 466 w the same charger a good a-pump (13 or14mm) will compete w a small p-pump...I'm not sure where ur from but in ky there is the same thing going on in the hot farm class, I stayed w the a-pump to run w the club I want to but also can go run anywhere with it. Around here the brush pulls are a pump only so if u want to hook the thing put you a good a pump on it and let the smoke roll

Re: A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 03, 2011 11:48PM
isn't there two sizes of 13mm p pump plungers 1 being shorter giving max 900cc and the other one giving max 1150cc?

Re: A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 03, 2011 07:19AM
now what if you had the same class but p pumps are allowed and went from a 500cc a pump to a 8-900cc p pump with injectors and lines to match, what kind of power you looking at then. is it worth the money to go to the p pump

Re: A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 03, 2011 08:32AM
On a 3x4 tractor the best P is supposed to be worth about a 100hp over the best A pump.

Re: A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 03, 2011 08:52AM
You must not have the best A pump

Re: A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 03, 2011 09:15AM
well i no the a pump is not one of the best and i no the p pump im looking at is. am i looking at a big difference power wise. just want to make sure its worth my $$$ to go with the big pump that i was told i need to compete with everyone else that has a p on theirs.

Re: A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 03, 2011 12:28PM
where are you planning on running this tractor??

Re: A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 03, 2011 12:33PM
plan on running mine in the mid west area

Re: A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 03, 2011 01:08PM
With the rules you have I don't think your gonna need all that fuel.Little extra to cool it. I'd stay with A-pump then you can hook anywhere.

Re: A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 03, 2011 01:30PM
I wish my 466 would burn 800 or 900cc I need to know your secrets!!!!!!

Re: A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 03, 2011 02:20PM
I dont understand why anyone or any association would want an A-pump class. All this does is cost the pullers more money. Because it is no time untill someone in the class has one of those expensive A-pumps (5,ooo-6,000 dollars) and then every one has to have one to compete when it could be an P-pump class and about the most expensive p=pump only cost about 3,000 to3,500 dollars, and the A-pump requires alot more maintence. Now tell me what you like about running A-pumps.

Re: A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 03, 2011 02:47PM
its no secret. its in every motor sport. dont build according to whats in the rules, build it according to whats not in the rules. now dont get me wrong im not going to use all that fuel but i want room to GROW when it needs to.

Re: A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 03, 2011 03:05PM
This is how it happens. The classes usually start out as a farm stock or alter farm stock, all tractors running factor appearring injection pump. Then after a year or two of running like that the guys pulling the ih thactor want to make it a (inline,p-pump class) because the ih guys are having to spend alot of money maintaining their 14mm and 15mm m100 pumps to be competitive, and get the same amount of fuel as the other tractor that came from the factory with inline pumps( john deere, fords, case,etc). So what happens is ih guys want inline p-pumps, the guys pulling other brands don't want to spend the money to buy another pump so the vote to make it a a-pump class across the board. Then the ih guys go out and buy the latest and greatest a-pumps ( your 14mm 6-7000 dollars a-pumps) . Then everyone else has to go out and buy those expensive a -pumps to be competitive, When they should have made it a p-pump class in the being and saved everyone a lot of money.

Re: A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 04, 2011 12:08AM
thats pretty much it in a nutshell ky hotfarm puller

Re: A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 04, 2011 12:25AM
Then why not make the classes A or P-pumps and regulate the class with rpms and turbos. Just my two cents worth.

Re: A-PUMP OR P-PUMP March 04, 2011 01:12AM
A-men to that. You hit it right on the head there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009