New IA DOT Regs March 04, 2011 10:50PM
Just to remind everyone in Iowa new DOT law goes in effect July 1. Every vehicle with GVW over 10,001 lbs must have US DOT numbers. New law went in effect Jan 1 2010 but only warnings given until July 2011. This even includes heavy 1 ton pickups. Must have Farm/Business name and number just like Semi. You will go through safety audit after you get your number. I wouldn"t wait till last minute on this because lines could get long. This is INTRASTATE so is required whether crossing state lines or not.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 12:47AM
combine that with $5.00+ diesel!staying home to watch the sun set sounds more appealing then traveling hours to a pull and dealing with that BS!

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 01:02AM
do you have any information on where to review this new reqiuirement? it is not posted on the iowa dmv website. hard to believe they would have a new law and not at least publish it. pages 3 and 11 of this manual published in 2009 say different.
[www.iowadot.gov]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2011 01:09AM by Bill R..

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 01:10AM
If you have you infor. on the trailer is that good enough or does it have to be on the truck. thanks.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 02:58AM
I was stopped last week and checked. I have just bought a Chev Kodiak to pull my Gooseneck instead of my pickup. DOT stopped me because I didn"t have no"s on truck. I was told about new law that I had forgotten about. It went into effect Jan 1 2010 but was not to be a violation till Jul 2011. You can go to iowadot.gov/usdotnumbers. Also can read about at Iowa dept of transportation website. If you have Dot numbers already, like on your semi, same number goes on everything. If getting new number you will have a safety audit at later date by compliance officer at home. It doesn"t amount to much UNLESS you have employees that will drive, then all reg"s apply, drug screen, physical, etc. Not sure on number of employees, forgot, 2 I think. Law didn"t go into effect till now to give everyone time to comply lol.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 02:39AM
Iowa is one state that I'll be staying out of...Why do they want to treat everyone like over the road truckers... We have absolutely no input on all these stupid new laws....

If fuel gets much higher my pulling tractor will be staying pretty close to home this year.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 02:50AM
NY has had this for a few years...deal with it.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 03:09AM
You just as well get a number cause it will end up being countrywide before long. Their feeble excuse is it"s for safety sake, Bull @#$%&. It"s an easier way to keep track of motor vehicles. It"s a fact there will be no more paper logs by 2013. Logs will all be electronic, and most carriers have to have GPS tracking. In other words easier to find violations, more money for gov.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 03:13AM
bare with me as i am confused, so if i live outside of the state of iowa, does that mean that when i go into iowa i must have the dot numbers and farm name on my pick up licensed over the 10tons? i think that i would but just want to make sure

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 03:56AM
How much are these inspections gonna cost their not gonna be free surely? I have never met a nice Dot officer they always have a problem perhaps a little gold bond powder in their shorts would make them happy they must have chafing problems.Hot

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 05:46AM
I"ll try to find out on crossing state lines, that"s Interstate, not Intra. As far as DOT numbers, they cost nothing, You can inspect yourself.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 05:53AM
as far as pickups are concerned so long as your combination is 26000 or less I dont see how any of this applies. definitley does not apply to just a single truck. the kodiak setup with a gooseneck is definietly over 26K and this law would apply

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 10:09AM
Yes, if you cross state lines and are pulling a trailer, and are over 12000 gvw you needed a DOT # and name on the the truck. Learned that the hard way going to an equipment sale in Iowa.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 07:02AM
We do DOT's in our shop for $45 each. We just do the light duty trucks and trailer no semi stuff.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 05:54AM
Michigan has had it for years. Got stopped hauling 6000# tractor from auction. Deal with it. Magnetic signs on pick up when hauling does the trick. Tougue Out

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 06:04AM
The whole key is to avoid a combination tag over 26K, so long as you are under that then none of this applies. Too many folks forget that is all you need to do to stay out or this. If you have a 1 ton dually pickup and a 14K gooseneck you should be at or under 26K and no problems with any of these laws. I can go down the road with a 4430 weighted to pull in 11,500 class and my trailer and my pickup and weigh 25,800.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 06:26AM
He is talking about DOT numbers not CDLs,big difference. If you have a combo over 10,001 LBs you need DOT numbers,(even farm use) if over 26,0001 LBs you need CDLs unless it's farm use then you can't go more the 150 miles without CDLs.

S'no Farmer

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 08:44AM
You are incorrect. If you are not a for hire and are not commercial and do not exceed 26k combination then none of the things discussed apply to you. Check this link out. dot and cdl are essentially both parts of the federal dot program.
[www.iowadot.gov]

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 09:25AM
If you check your link, it states vehicles over 10,001 lbs need to have a DOT#. The DOT also considers any vehicle to be commercial that has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more, rather its for hire or not. Just went thru the DOT audit and still have all the paperwork.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 09:34AM
Not talking CDL. Also Kodiac is not 26.000, it"s 25,950, so CDL does not apply. If you haul a bale of hay or 1 bag of feed in the back of your pickup, and the GVW on truck is 10,001 lbs. law applies. Don"t take my word for it, let it slide, get stopped, play stupid, and hope it works.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 06:37AM
Just be sure to tell DOT when you apply that you are a farmer.Then you don't have to go thru an additional audit of your administration of DOT log books and record keeping.(which farmers not required to do.) Just Do It!

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 08:32AM
So if your plated for more than 26000 lbs. Does anyone that drives the pickup have to have a cdl ?? Wife, daughter, Son...

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 08:31AM
You also need to remember that it doesn't matter what weight plates you run- it is all based on the GVW rating on the data sticker on your vehicle. Lots of pickups in Illinois run 8000 lb plates, but have a GVW rating of 8600 lb or more. So a 8,000lb plate on a 11,000lb GVW pickup or a 14,000 lb plate on a 20,000lb GVW trailer, doesn't make it a 8,000lb pickup or a 14,000lb trailer in the DOT's eyes. Don't have a pulling tractor, but use gooseneck trailers a lot, and finally went ahead and got the DOT number to avoid hassles, after having several friends get stopped. Haven't paid the UCR fee yet, still waiting on them to catch up with me on that.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 05, 2011 01:29PM
Just more govt BS, Need to get govt out of every single thing that goes on. The govt needs to butt out and take care of the southern borber. obama and the left need to shut up, leave the hard working american alone and open up the oil fields in this country before its to late.
And I am glad I don`t have to pull in Iowa by the sounds of it!!!!!!

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 06, 2011 12:41AM
I was told last night (sat) that law was dropped.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 06, 2011 12:55AM
Yes, the law was dropped. Unless you travel out of the state of Iowa. Any one out side of state can come in. I'm talking Iowa only. Do you all understand that?

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 06, 2011 02:19AM
So I guess the warning ticket I got last Sat. was by DOT officer that needs to keep up with late changes, right? Also DOT needs to change website that states it goes into effect July 1. I"m done.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 06, 2011 02:45AM
if it's like mn. the left hand don't know what the right hand is doing at the dot office

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 06, 2011 02:53AM
I"ll find out Monday I"m going to Ankeny to DOT headquarters and find out for sure. I"ll have my ticket with me even though it"s only a warning.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 06, 2011 03:02AM
Well Perry, believe me, Illinois will be just as bad.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 06, 2011 07:46AM
Great. Will be ever so watchful for Ill state police. This is really getting to be a bunch of horse manure.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 10, 2011 11:28PM
A state trooper in Minnesota informed me just a couple of months ago (on the side of the road) that even a truck and trailer with farm plates is required to have a DOT number and the business name on the truck. When I explained I was hauling my own equipment, he asked if a farm is operated as a business. Of course he already knew the answer is "Yes". SO then as a "company" vehicle, owned and operated for a business, that falls into commercial vehicle territory. I've been hearing horror stories in a lot of places I go that in a lot of states, guys are getting pulled over and having this same conversation with the friendly state trooper standing at their window. In most cases, if you get pulled over, don't get p.o.'d and smart off to the cop he will usually tell you what you are doing wrong, explain how to be legal and let you go. IMHO, be polite, play dumb, and ask a bunch of questions, he will be nice to you.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 06, 2011 03:25AM
FYI: any time you cross state lines (or even go to a river grain terminal on the state line) you need to follow FEDERAL rules.... So even though Wisconsin allows farmers a pass, and Iowa (used to/mayber still does) offer them a pass, I am not legal to haul with my setup in Iowa without the full rigamarole. I have never been hassled, though.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 06, 2011 03:40AM
If you are running a pick up and gooseneck and are hobby pulling and not over 26K then I THINK we are excempt based on this that I took off the DOT website...

When do I need a DOT number?
You need a DOT number if:

your truck exceeds 10,000 pounds GVW or GVWR and is used interstate in commerce; or
your truck exceeds 26,000 pounds GVW or has three or more axles, and is used intrastate. What constitutes commerce or commercial operation?

For purposes of the CMV regulations, you are in commerce if there is an expectation or possibility of earning money (above reasonable expenses), or receiving other valuable considerations. Competing for prize money at a fair would be considered commerce only if the underlying activity generates income (such as selling animals), or related expenses are taken as an income tax deduction, or if corporate sponsorship is involved. Simply winning a nominal cash prize is not commerce.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 06, 2011 05:02AM
look up on the US DOT website under general applicability rule #390.3 paragraph f3 under exceptions. f3 says: the occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furterance of a commercial enterprise. then go to page 3 under general applicability question 21. does the exemption in 390.3 for the occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise apply to persons who occasionally us CMV's to transport cars, boats, horses,etc to races tournaments or similar events, even if prize money is offered?
answer: the exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: 1 the underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e. a: prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and b: corporate sponsorship is not involved. Drivers must confer with their state of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to which they are subject.

this gets you off from all the paper work and drivers license issues but you still need a dot number when you cross state lines if over 10000 lbs. I suggest you go on line and print this off and carry it with you because the diesel cops aren't going to tell you this or they probably don't even know this.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 06, 2011 06:09AM
From the USDOT website..... under interpretation for code 390.3 "Question 21: Does the exemption in §390.3(f)(3) for the ‘‘occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise’’ apply to persons who occasionally use CMVs to transport cars, boats, horses, etc., to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?

Guidance: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) The underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and (b) the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved. Drivers must confer with their State of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to which they are subject."

For the (2)... just for say of the the NTPA...wouldnt like CENPECO be considered corporte sponsorship so therefor would that be the exclusion that would make the provision of "(1)" be thrown out and make u a commerical vehicle... As for what i think its a crap shoot depending on the blue jackets mood

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2011 06:11AM by Larry The Cable Guy.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 06, 2011 06:18AM
i think the corporate sponsor is refered to you having one. if cenpeco is paying you money and advertising on your trailer. that's what i was told by dot on a enclosed snowmobile trailer. if you are advertising a sponsor on your trailer then you are conducting commerce. bought a used trailer with some advertising on it and was told to take it off so i wouldn't have any more trouble. but you are right. it depends on the cop. i'm sure you will make his day if you remind him of the excemptions

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 06, 2011 06:25AM
good point wayno GIT-r-DONE....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2011 12:08PM by Larry The Cable Guy.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 06, 2011 06:27AM
so you have a pulling tractor, but dont deduct expenses? you get 1099s from most organizations on purse money,income? its is easier to do it right than finding ways around it.

Re: New IA DOT Regs, ATTN; Bad Medicine March 08, 2011 07:46AM
How did you come out at Ankeny?
And, if you get a chance, register the truck as a motorhome and you don't hafta do nothin'
AARP will protest to high heaven if they pull Ma and Pa Kettle over on the way to a swap meet in their 50 foot Prevost and 28 foot enclosed trailer !!!!! Aint gonna happen!

Re: New IA DOT Regs, ATTN; Bad Medicine March 10, 2011 05:30AM
The only thing about RV, and I learned this a couple of weeks ago, in Nebraska, an RV can only pull a utility titled trailer....... which is defined as under 10,000 lbs gvwr...... a commercially tagged trailer is anything 10,001 and above, which is illegal to hook to an RV.

Re: New IA DOT Regs, ATTN; Bad Medicine March 10, 2011 09:16AM
That may be true, IN NEBRASKA. (and probably Commiefornia)
But in the USA that is not a true statement.

Re: New IA DOT Regs, ATTN; Bad Medicine March 10, 2011 01:57PM
are you sure, or are you just shoveling facts masquerading as an opinion?

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 08, 2011 09:08AM
go with farm tags skip all of it!

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 08, 2011 10:40AM
I don't know about other states but in Indiana even with farm tags you still need a DOT number on any pickup and trailer combo over 10,000 lbs.

S'no Farmer

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 08, 2011 11:14AM
DOT Regulations is like debating religion! "Everyone has there own interpitations"!

So get by as long as you can because they will get us in the end!

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 08, 2011 01:46PM
Made it to Ankeny this afternoon. Talked to DOT enforcement officer and showed him my warning ticket. Well guess what, they dropped the law 3 weeks ago, 1 week before I was stopped. So Fed numbers not required unless you are for hire like it has been. Sorry I got everyone worked up like I was, but like usual it seems no two DOT officers read from same book or interpret different. The law was to go into effect July 15 though before it was dropped.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 08, 2011 02:03PM
If so why is there going to be a bunch of meetings going on with the DOT that you can sign up for sponsered by Farm Bureau in different counties in eastern Iowa? I guess I better just plan on going to one to find out???

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 08, 2011 02:58PM
Marv, if you go to that meeting, make sure you ask the DOT if they really know what it is that they are talking about.

Re: New IA DOT Regs March 09, 2011 12:31AM
Going to be meetings in Western Illinois as well. Maybe the Eastern Iowa meetings are to warn you about what will happen if you happen to stray across the river into the Land of Taxes and Fees. Latest word in Illinois, from a friend who just went through his DOT audit yesterday, if you haul landlord's grain to the elevator, you are a commercial trucker and subject to all the rules that entails. The guy that stops you will interpret things however he wants to, because the rules are intentionally left open to interpretation, hoping when you get ticketed you will just pay the fine and move on.

Ohio trying same thing March 09, 2011 01:36AM
For we Buckeyes, it looks like PUCO is trying the same thing. Straight from their website:
---------------------------------------------------------------
The Public Utilities Commission (PUCO) has revised its rules relative to motor carrier transportation safety. The new rules now require not-for-hire vehicles with a gross vehicle weight (GVW), gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 10,001 to 26,000 pounds to follow the same rules that similarly sized interstate and intrastate for-hire vehicles must follow. Previously, not-for-hire vehicles of this size were not covered by safety rules.

Individuals transporting personal items are still not be subject to these safety rules.

The PUCO is currently involved in an education and awareness campaign to help identify and educate entities that may be subject to the new regulations. Fines will not be levied on roadside safety inspections until January 1, 2012, unless egregious violations are discovered. However, vehicles and drivers found not to be in compliance can be declared out-of-service.

------------------------------------------------------------------
As I read this, it seems to me like there is a huge grey area in this particularly in the red line above. I wonder if my tractor is a personal item??????

Re: Ohio trying same thing March 09, 2011 05:48AM
Yep MH, that looks like somebody's "brain storm" doesn't it?

Re: Ohio trying same thing March 09, 2011 05:55AM
Another way for them to gain control over what we can do and gain another revenue source.

Re: Ohio trying same thing March 09, 2011 06:01AM
I think you hit the nail on the head Meangreen.

Re: Ohio trying same thing March 10, 2011 12:44AM
What about RV plated vehicles pulling a trailer? Are they still a free for all?

Re: Ohio trying same thing March 10, 2011 05:35AM
As far as nebraska..... other states I don't know..... RV can only pull a gvwr at 10,000 lbs and under..... or registered as utility. Commercial tagged trailers in nebraska are 10,001 and above, which cannot by law...... whether it's enforced or not is questionable....... be pulled by an RV.

Re: Ohio trying same thing March 10, 2011 06:08AM
In Nebr. I have been running on farm plates for years with no trouble

Re: Ohio trying same thing March 10, 2011 07:33AM
I"ve got farm plates on my pickup, but now they"re making new ones harder to get. Buddy of mine traded couple weeks ago and didn"t get them on his new one, said it was a big hassle now. They wanted FSA records to prove he farmed, he"s only been farming 30 years and everyone in the courthouse new him including the gal at window. She said they had to have proof now. Oh well don"t save that much anyway, just the principle of it .

Bad medicine? March 10, 2011 02:23PM
Is your buddy a grain farmer?

Re: Bad medicine? March 11, 2011 01:11AM
Yup always has been. Another buddy got pulled over by Highway Patrol yesterday and was told same thing I was a couple of weeks ago. I told him to forget about it. Like was said earlier right hand doesnt know what left hand is doing. Also watching news about Japan this morning, what a mess!

Re: Bad medicine? March 11, 2011 02:23AM
In Pa. you have to show your schedule F income tax form to get farm plates or permits.

Re: Bad medicine? March 11, 2011 04:46AM
That's kind of what I was getting at jd43. Even though niether schedule F or FSA papers are none of their business. All of this is totally out of proportion and out of hand. Pretty soon well all have to have a permit or a number that allows you to let your farm dog ride in the pickup with you and then you'll probably have to prove he's a farm dog.

Re: Bad medicine? March 11, 2011 05:24AM
You're right ! The laws are very confusing on how far you can travel with farm tags. I was looking at the laws yesterday and if you get stopped by the police it's very important to answer all their question "carefully".

Re: Bad medicine? March 11, 2011 10:56AM
Got a good one for you supertiquer, Iowa is considering a law you have to have seat belt on your dog! Don"t know about cats, lol.

Re: Bad medicine? March 11, 2011 02:37PM
lol. Hmmm. Does that law that they are considering include the shoulder strap? lol

Re: Bad medicine? March 12, 2011 02:01AM
Your dog is smarter than the idiots that make up these "rules".....

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,766, Posts: 229,932, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM