P-Pump plumbing question March 05, 2011 04:03AM
I know noting about P pumps except that they move fuelBeer

Ive taken over this project from a previous builder and I am building the fuel system now. I have the feeds where he initially had them (so I assume those are correct (2 on the side opposite of the block), but need to know what I need to do wth these three ports on the back. They all still have the red caps in them so you should be able to identify them in the picture.

Thanks in advance

Re: P-Pump plumbing question March 05, 2011 04:44AM
Use 2 ports to supply fuel to the pump. Use one for return to tank, should have check valve in it. Plug the last hole.

Re: P-Pump plumbing question March 05, 2011 05:51AM
Could it be possible this pump is setup for lube from the motor? I don't know if the internals are the same in the pump for self contained oil. I have never seen a p-pump with an oil inlet that's why I'm asking. Otherwise yes two inlets on the front side, use one on the back for return to tank with a restrictor, cap the other, not sure about the bottom one though. If you run self contained oil cap that one too.

Re: P-Pump plumbing question March 05, 2011 06:56AM
It appears to b e setup for self contained oil as it is instructed that it needs oil added to it yet and there is a plate on it saying "Add Oil".

Now as for the return which one of the ones on the back is it, and are you saying I should be putting a restrictor in the line? and also what size line sholuld be run for the return? -8,-6?

Right now it is setup with two -8 lines feeding it through two 140gph Holley Black Lift pumps. The two -8 lines do converge at one point into a -12 dump valve.

Let me know if something else in this system doesnt sound adequate.

Also, Are the two feed ports on the pump Straight Cut O ring threads? They appear to be straight cut but have a copper washer sealing them, so I am not 100% sure if O ring straight cut fittings will work as I would like to get rid of the contraption that is threaded into them now.

Thanks again. Ill probably have plenty more questions, the tractor was just kind of abandoned by the guy who knows everything about it and did a lot of the work on it.

Re: P-Pump plumbing question March 05, 2011 05:46AM
That still leaves one extra port?

Heres a pic of the otherside

Thanks again

Re: P-Pump plumbing question March 05, 2011 06:54AM
the bottom hole on the inside is for your oil line to the motor for lubrication. the other ones you can cap off 1 or 2 depending on if you want dual feed or single feed and 1 return. on mine the inside front hole is my return and the outside 2 are the dual feed fuel in if i remember right without looking at it. any other posts would help. don't want to give 1066hf wrong information but am pretty sure

Re: P-Pump plumbing question March 06, 2011 12:56AM
what is the advantage of feeding the pump two places ?
In superfarm That is.

Re: P-Pump plumbing question March 06, 2011 01:54AM
Your pump appears to be dual feed and dual return. It keeps fuel volume and pressure uniform in all the plungers.

Re: P-Pump plumbing question March 06, 2011 05:09AM
So I need the fuel going in the two I have them in and returning through the ports directly on the otherside of the pump and cap the bottom port with the 90* fitting on it?

Re: P-Pump plumbing question March 06, 2011 12:28PM
fitting threads are 14MM X 1.5. Feed fuel to the 2 outside, and pick one of the 2 inside for return, probably the rear one(highest fitting) use a orifice to restrict it. plug the other one. The lower one would be oil supply to pump, so plug it if it's set up to be self contained oil. Ed.

Re: P-Pump plumbing question March 06, 2011 03:00PM
feed the outside 2 like you have it those brass fittings look like 14mm to 1/4"npt which are good.take the inside front one that looks to be your regulator or return if it is move that to the back for your return.(usually the highest point) now take the back one to the front and plug it or you could put a gauge on it. the bottom one is a oil feed don't assume its oil contained check it by removing the tack drive on the front cover and put oil (most pump shops say about a quart of 20-50 synthetic)in your pump fill on top 4-10mm bolts or oil cap.when you pour the oil in look to see if any oil is running out behind the drive gear on front of the pump.if it runs out it needs an oil line hooked up theres a 1/8 plug on that side of the block up a to the left of the dipstick sorta behind the pump.if it dont run out its contained.(my bet is its not) you should register so we could "pm" you. good luck dont be afraid to ask thats how we learn

Re: P-Pump plumbing question March 06, 2011 04:09PM
thanks patj, i will try the oil trick tomorrow and see what i find out.

I am registered now and will probably have plenty more questions.

thanks again to everybody

Re: P-Pump plumbing question March 06, 2011 11:29PM
look on bottom of pump and governor, if there are plugs to drain it, that is an indication it's self contained also.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009