looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 08, 2011 11:59AM
i am looking for ideas and advice on ways to take out my factory hydro pump but still use my factory brakes and i would like to keep factory steering but will change if i have to any advice would be great thanks guys

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2011 12:02PM by Highmanor Hammer 4320.

Re: looking for ways to take eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 08, 2011 12:08PM
if you take out the pump, you might as well go to a rack and pinion steering setup, you could use an electric hydraulic pump to power your steering if you think you have to have it. As far as the brakes go you can use a Wilwood master cylinder, pedal assembly from any automotive performance parts supplier.

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 08, 2011 12:33PM
You could use a steering column from a JD 318,322,422 lawn tractor wich is open center hyd. A power steering pump from a car mine is a subaru with a remote hyd reservoir. Get a brake master cyl from a 2740 ,50 to 2950 deere manual brakes. plug the inlet from tranny,fill with fluid from top ,ready to roll. Looks orig too.

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 10, 2011 08:05AM
i am running an electric pump now for my steering but i have problems with it drawing alot of amps and getting hot its a pump off of a snow plow could it be to big

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 10, 2011 08:53AM
Does the pump run all the time? or do you have it setup with a pressure switch so it will cut off once it reaches a set pressure? If you just have steering and brakes in the circuit it should build up pressure and shut off. (I cann't remember if there is a warm up circuit on the old style steering valves.)
If there is not a pressure switch it will cause it to go over on relief all the time, instead of turning off the pump.

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 09, 2011 02:27PM
You can use 12v elec. hyd pump, Keep same steering and brakes just run return from brake and steering valve back to 12v pump. You loss a little oil in pump from leakage on oil rings on brake pads but can easily be topped off through the season. Use your trans. pump pressure to lube trans.

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 10, 2011 01:26AM
I got a electric hydraulic pump for sale. I used it to run my brakes on my 4430. The lines go with it. 608-778-4424

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 11, 2011 05:06AM
who is a supplyer of the high pressure switch you would need or where could someone find one?

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 12, 2011 12:18AM
I took the big pump out and put in a small gear pup that will run up to 5000 rpm have done this for 8 years and have not had any problems and I dont have to worry about the battery draw

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 12, 2011 04:59AM
Used to be able to get a closed center multi piston pump out of Surplus Center In Lincoln NE mount it to drive off front of crankshaft thus eliminated the Hydr pump and steering motor was replaced with rack and pinion. run stock brake valve make brake pistons and backing plate out of AL. Leakage by o rings in miniumal and just goes into trans anyway. Use the trans pump to supply extra lube to the top shaft and counter shaft end bearings. Trans lube pump can also be used to supply forced lube to the 3 or 4 pinion dif spyder gears via the dif lock hydr system with very little machining. This is nothing new as it was used on a number of JD Supers way back in the mid 80's

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 12, 2011 09:35AM
what kind of gear pump did u use and how did u drive it i would like to do something like that if i could and how could i go to rack and pinion

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 13, 2011 12:28AM
I would think that the snow plow pump would have had a built in pressure switch.. but it might not.. Depending on the relief setting in the pump, you can try something like this.. [www.surpluscenter.com]
but I want to find one that's adjustable.. (maybe that one is.. it was just the first one I found.)

If you go to a gear pump you are changing to an open center hydraulic system.. and you will need to change to a different steering valve and brake valve.. (I've always kept A-4's idea in the back of my mind since he posted it a while back about using the steer valve from lawn mower. Never crossed my mind.) If you just run the gear pump with what you have it will go over relief when you are not steering or braking, and built heat.. and take HP to run the pump.

Is your electric pump running all the time?? or just while you are turning or braking?? you could have an internal leak that could be causing it to run all the time.. What kind of pressure is the system building??

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 13, 2011 03:25AM
I have been running an electric hydraulic pump on a JD using the stock early 4430 closed center steering valve and stock brake valve. I used a 12V electric pump with an adjustable pressure switch and a nitrogen charged accumulator. Without the accumulator the pump would short cycle (on/off/on/off/on/off repeatedly) due to the small leakage in the valves. With the accumulator, the pump will only run for a few seconds every minute or so, unless you are using the steering.

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 13, 2011 09:51AM
the pump that i am running is on all the time i was trying to use the relief vale that is build in to the steering colume i think i might to much presure never thought about putting in a diffrent relief valve or a tank but yes the pump runs all the time it does work good other then the heat and electric draw

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 13, 2011 11:25AM
A different relief valve still will not help much.. the pump needs to cut off.. (I never thought of using the priority valve as a relief valve.. ) I don't think you'll need that much pressure, you could back the pressure down a little, but you need a pressure switch. And as someone said above the accumulator would really help too..

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 13, 2011 01:48PM
I don't know why you would want to mess with relief valves, or rack and pinion.You can get a 318 steering column with a wheel on it that says JD for 150.00 on ebay. Its the right length.The nice thing about the foreign car power steering pumps is the seperate resevoir that makes a much neater job than a GM or Ford with thier big ugly self contained pump. The 2940 or like brakes are simple to mount and look close to orig. We did 2- 6030's and a 4010 work great.

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 13, 2011 02:02PM
a-4.. I agree, that should be easy to do.. What steering cylinders are you using with the 318 steering valve?? And the entire setup probably weighs less than just the electric hydraulic pump.. (and getting rid of all the steering valve parts.)

The electric pump should be an easy install.. and he's got all the right parts.. just needs one or two more..

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 13, 2011 02:36PM
They happen to be JD combine steering cyls.That diam matched up well to the volume the 318 valve put out.We had them I cam measure the bore and stroke. The 6030's orig were a bigger bore I believe so we used the combine front on them.The 4010 was a lightweight I fabbed.

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 13, 2011 03:30PM
Thanks.. If you know the model of the combine the cylinders/axles came off, I can look up the specs..
I was eying the steering valve on the 318 tonight.. haha..
Thanks,
Bryan

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 13, 2011 03:40PM
If you build a new front end with rack and pinion are you using anything or just armstrong steering?

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 14, 2011 10:16AM
They made 2 steering units for th 318 a 4 and a 5 port.I have the 5 .I think the 4 port would be better cause you have to "T" the aux and return together wich can be tight.I think the 5 port is more commmon though,maybe you can just cap it I'm not sure. Any forklift will work too.

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 14, 2011 09:54AM
yes if u know the model number of the combine i think i am going to switch it over to the other steering collum it sounds easy and self contained i thank all u for ur help and info this really helps me out alot

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 13, 2011 04:21PM
How much pressure do you set the switch to? Where did or can you get a switch like this and an accumulater? Do you need to plum the accumulator before or after the pressure switch?

Thanks for awnsers in advance

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 14, 2011 02:14AM
The accumulator can be anywhere in the system.. between the pump and the valve.. The amount of pressure you need will depend on the size of the cylinders and the weight of the tractor.. You just need to make sure the pressure switch is below the relief setting.. I'm sure you can find a switch online, or at a local hydraulic shop..

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 15, 2011 01:42PM
what combine should i be looking for to get the cylinder off of i was looking at my 8640 if also has the similar steering colum in it as the 318 does i have another cab from a 86 i think i am going to try to use it if i know the cylinder to get i think i will be set to start on it

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 15, 2011 04:43PM
The 8640 will have a closed center hydraulic valve too.. it will function the same has the valve you have in the tractor now.. You need an open center valve it you are going to set it up the way a-4 listed using the powersteering pump.

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 16, 2011 12:01AM
i am glad u pointed that out i never gave it a thought about that guess i will start looking around for one off the garden tractor then i will just need to find a cylinder to use
jdgnut or a-4 will either of u be at the keystone pull

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 16, 2011 02:25AM
You really just need a valve for an open center system.. the other style valve will clean things up.. the lawn mower valve is just cheap, small and light..
From TX.. not going to Keystone..

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 15, 2011 12:41AM
HOW MUCH POWER DOSE THE FACTORY HYD PUMP TAKE TO RUN

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 15, 2011 12:29PM
Near nothing unless your using the hydraulics or if you have a big internal leak

Re: looking for ways to eliminate factory front hyro pump from jd 4320 March 15, 2011 03:12PM
your right. going down track takes very little power. only time it take power is when you use it. going down track you dont use it.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,734, Posts: 229,867, Members: 3,333.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,984.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM