Engine dyno March 11, 2011 04:15AM
Was thinking about installing an engine dyno in our shop next winter. We were wondering which one to buy, as we have no experience with one. We want something that can handle up to 1300 hp. I would like your input on this. Thanks.

Re: Engine dyno March 11, 2011 06:40AM
If you want the best get a stuska, with dpac electronics and controls.

Re: Engine dyno March 11, 2011 12:10PM
Why only 1300? Seems like you may be limiting yourself.

Re: Engine dyno March 11, 2011 11:38PM
What are you looking to test?

Re: Engine dyno March 12, 2011 01:41AM
Get in touch with Dick Locke at Land and Sea www.land-and-sea.com Their DYNOmite range goes from RC-engine dynos to 6000hp... I don't know if they have the best dyno's, since I have no experience with others... but their customer support has to be one of the best! They allways answer right away when you have a question...and beleive me, you will have questions before you are ready to do your first test run!
This is a video of our set up: [www.youtube.com]
A couple of more videos and some pics can be found at www.speedpics.org under "tractorpulling"
Christer

Re: Engine dyno March 12, 2011 02:11AM
Personally, I 'd like to connect at the flywheel, as close to the power source as possible.

Re: Engine dyno March 12, 2011 05:56AM
That depends on what you want to achive... if you want to know EXACTLY what your output at the crank is, dyno on the crank is the way to go..

Our set up was dictated by this hughe waterbrake we got our hands on. It is rated to 6000hp but max 1500RPM, so it could not be used without some kind of transmission.

As I see it there is three basic things that we will get from this dyno:

1.a way to start up, run in and load the engine under control after rebuild
2.it will tell us where our powerband is
3.once we have a baseline, it will tell us how much power we gained (or lostWinking) when we did a change

Since we use the dyno software and data aquistion as an onboard logger during the pulls, we have all the instrumentation fitted to the engine all the time, and it therefore takes less than an hour to fit the tractor to the dyno and get it going...

To know exactly how much power we have is not that important to us.

Re: Engine dyno March 12, 2011 11:25AM
What size chain are you using from the tractor axle to the dyno?

Re: Engine dyno March 12, 2011 08:57PM
Chains are 1.5"
The most torque we have seen so far was 2138Lbft (2900Nm), so with a 17:1 transmission ratio the chains had to cope with 36361Lbft...

This was a 7.8L 3200RPM engine.

Re: Engine dyno March 13, 2011 09:28AM
Im really surprised the chains can take that torque. Do you use this dyno just for your own use or are you running a dyno service? Looks like a good setup i have been working on a dyno similer to what you are running there.

Re: Engine dyno March 13, 2011 06:39PM
When we first started with this project the idea was to get a working dyno for ourself. We started back in -98 with a testrun on a diesel SS. It turned out to be not such a good idea to run in our normal shop. We did blow up the engine and the shop got on fire and burned down... and i still got some burn memories on my backSad.

The International in the pics is not our own, so it seems like we ended up with a dyno serviceCool.

We are now working on the remote control system, so we hope to have our own PS tractor up and runing next week...

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009