Deere Skidder rearend question March 20, 2011 03:34AM
Does anyone know the ratio for a 640 rearend I was told it isnt the same as a 540 any help would be helpful ,also how do you tell the difference between the two by looking at it...

Re: Deere Skidder rearend question March 20, 2011 06:49AM
24:1 = 640
26:1 = 540

not sure how to tell them apart..

Re: Deere Skidder rearend question March 20, 2011 07:38AM
The 640 center housing is larger.
The one I had, (640) the center section was a tad taller than the axle housing "bells" Most 540's I have seen, the center section is shorter than the bells.
After looking at a JD 670 grader diff housing, it MAY fit in where your 640 diff is. It is a 4 spider cross, AND has a hydraulic actuated diff lock.
I found that AFTER I had sold the rear end and went to a Rockwell Center with Rockwell planetaries. So I'm not SURE it fits, but if I still had a skidder rear, I would check that out.

Re: Deere Skidder rearend question March 20, 2011 08:47AM
would inboard plantaries be better than outboard

Re: Deere Skidder rearend question March 20, 2011 09:54AM
the 540 is has smaller housing but you can run any gear in them, and in my opinion you would be better off with truck rearend with outside plants.

Re: Deere Skidder rearend question March 20, 2011 11:22AM
I agree with David, especially for 2wd. (truck rear w/ outboard planets)
If we are using the skidder for a single engine mod, it'll work just dandy.
Both Stumme's 2wd's have skidders, but one of them lucked out and found a pair of aluminum axle housings so it is light enough. I do know where there is a pair of lighter, narrower steel housings for a skidder. Not sure if they are for sale or not.

Re: Deere Skidder rearend question March 20, 2011 02:31PM
if you are in need of one Bob Jostock has one of my spares with the large center and brake mounts already on it, he went through it and said ring and pinion was no good, it was used in 3 engine mod, they just wont take that kind of punishment but the weight sure helps you hook out of the hole. contact me if you are interested 423-383-4448

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,738, Posts: 229,880, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,992.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM