Old Iowa Pulling Film Clip From 1976 March 21, 2011 12:50PM
[vimeo.com]

I saw this on Redpower..Some of the pullers are Elwin Peary,Jim Shafer,Clarence Baughman,Ernie Ropp.etc..He has 1.5 hours total..

Re: Old Iowa Pulling Film Clip From 1976 March 21, 2011 03:25PM
Just curious as to how do you know the one JD was Ernie Ropp? Sure didnt look like the tractor that I remember...narrow front cream colored hood.

DPS

Re: Old Iowa Pulling Film Clip From 1976 March 21, 2011 07:18PM
Just wondering out of these videos, that most of the tractors all had narrow front ends. was that by choice or preference in pullers back then?

Re: Old Iowa Pulling Film Clip From 1976 March 21, 2011 11:47PM
Most all tractors had narrow fronts at that time. Rule change made them go to wide fronts. Also no fenders, roll-cages and not many rules. That is Ernie Ropp's tractor, and sure looked like him driving. I watched him for many years, still watched after Warren took over.

Re: Old Iowa Pulling Film Clip From 1976 March 22, 2011 06:08AM
I agree, back in the 70's Ernie Ropp's tractor did have a narrow front and a white colored hood.

Re: Old Iowa Pulling Film Clip From 1976 March 22, 2011 02:33PM
yanmar55
Most all tractors had narrow fronts at that time. Rule change made them go to wide fronts. Also no fenders, roll-cages and not many rules. That is Ernie Ropp's tractor, and sure looked like him driving. I watched him for many years, still watched after Warren took over.

Most "pullers" ran narrow front ends for the weight reduction,some even took 1 of the tires off and ran a single tire..Anything to make the tractor lighter..Most all farm tractors had wide fronts since the mid to late 60's,much safer for the farmer,let alone a smoother ride,just sayin'...

BTW,love the video from back then,can't wait to see some more.Thanks for posting...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2011 02:35PM by OFB®.

Re: Old Iowa Puller March 22, 2011 02:42PM
Does anybody remember the Smog Frog that flipped his narrow front Deere at the All Iowa Fair in Cedar Rapids? I can remember to this day the guys on the track shoveling dirt into the intake to get her shut down. Anybody else remember that night? They even annouced before he pulled that he wouldnt pull unless they let him run roadgear. No rollcage. No seatbelt. Narrow front. Dont remember if fenders were on..I think they were. Lucky to have survived.

Watching those olds videos posted above looked pretty rough.

DPS

Re: Old Iowa Puller March 22, 2011 03:09PM
The Thomas Brothers ran some "ragged" deeres out east---had chains underneath the engines and piled on lead pipes to add wt!! But I believe the 4010 JD of Joseph(?) Bell that ran 5, 7, 9 and 12 super stock, took the cake for "stripped down" had a seat, don't remember any fenders or much more sheet metal for that matter---we're talking early 70's, so someone might have a pic from the Buck or a Virginia or Maryland pulling area of those guys. Lucky more of them didn't get killed pulling as they were start to making some serious power about the same time---enter LaGod's influence, the alky molines and Gene Donaldson's cat.

Re: Old Iowa Puller March 26, 2011 03:37PM
Yes i do, it is my dad. That was a crazy night. How he got off the tractor and wasn't killed is unbelievable! After that night the NTPA made it mandator that ALL tractors had wide front ends. Don't forget Lester Hinson was killed exactly one year before on the same track because he went to push the torque ahead on his IH, and his seat bolts had come loose ,and he fell off and was run over by the rear tire. The tractor stopped right on top of his head and killed him. No matter what, those were the the glory days of pulling! Every event somone had something new or had a new trick up their sleeve. It wasn't all about those who have big money like today!!! By the way where do I find the video you were watching to bring up the subject???

Re: Old Iowa Puller March 26, 2011 03:48PM
Can I ask what your dad's name is because that was the one and only time I ever saw the Smog Frog pull. Do you still have the tractor and where do live at in Iowa. I often wished that I new more about that particular tractor/puller. You can private message me if you don't want to share this info with the rest of the world.

DPS

Re: Old Iowa Puller March 27, 2011 04:33AM
lester henson is the reason they made fenders manditory. also do you remember andy main? had a kichen chair on his 1070 case for his drivers seat. chained on with no fenders, and one front tire, (other tire was removed for weight) safety for sure.

Re: Old Iowa Puller April 02, 2011 02:01AM
His name is Doug Ham. He lives in southern Iowa now. He ran the tractor until 1981. The tractor was then sold to Marv Hovden. He never ran the Smog Frog he basically used it for parts because he already had the tractor called Ol Woody.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,783, Posts: 229,968, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,048.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009