Small block john deere help March 21, 2011 12:53PM
Looking to build a new superstock small block deere. what is the best engine/block to start out with? I'm thinking an 8.1 so I can get the better head and p pump and a few more cubes right off the bat. Is this the right direction or am I thinking wrong? What tractor or combine or whatever should it come out of? Thanks for the help. Going to put it in a 4010 or 4020.

Re: Small block john deere help March 22, 2011 11:24PM
The 8.1 JD is a great way to start out. Put 4.750" pistons in it and you will be right at 540 CID. If you are going to keep the boost under 190#, you can use the thin wall sleeves and not have to bore the block for the bigger pistons. Use the older style JD rods at stock lenght, or use the I-H rods which are about .125 shorter. Forget the "P" pump an go directly to a Sigma pump. There are plenty of them out here for sale, and if you are serious about a super you will have to have a Sigma to compete. Have a good head shop do your flow work (340 cfm) and you will be ready to rock.

Re: Small block john deere help March 23, 2011 12:16AM
Thanks for the help. Can't wait to get it going........Is there any better tractor to get an engine out of or are all of the 8.1s about the same?

Re: Small block john deere help March 23, 2011 02:51AM
Be careful building a SS out of the 8.1 block. A lot of Pro Stock and Super Stocks have split these blocks length ways along the camshaft. The older 466 blocks were part of the frame and were much stronger. The newer blocks are no longer part of the frame and are lighter. Yes, its easy to get 540 with the 8.1, but when all your work is laying on the track you will wish you started with a stronger block.

Re: Small block john deere help March 23, 2011 09:07AM
Did you ever see Up & Atom with a block all over the track or how about Renegade Deere? Thats two top running diesels, and I'll add a third, Smokin' Hot Deere. Have they had problems, yes, but not what you are relaying. Anyone with a GN level diesel has block problems, but I have ran one for years with no block issues. Maybe you are thinking of an I-H block, thats where they split and plenty of them have been tossed on the track, even the allmighty hyper blocks. The guy didn't say he was going to try and run 300# of boost in it.

Re: Small block john deere help March 23, 2011 10:51AM
I appreciate the help. I'm sure I will want it to run good but do not have an endless bank account so will also need it to live. Doubt I will run hard enough split the block.........Thanks again for the help.

Can happenEye Popping March 23, 2011 12:21PM
I know this is a pro stock, and don't know if they were using the 8.1.
The discussion just reminded me of the video.

Martens

Re: Can happenEye Popping March 23, 2011 12:26PM
that was a big block!!!!

Re: Can happenEye Popping March 23, 2011 12:28PM
Key word... was.

Thread just reminded me of the video.

Re: Can happenEye Popping March 28, 2011 02:15PM
Anyone else have any input on what engine to start with?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009