How many boost pounds can a JD 466 handle March 31, 2011 02:08PM
How many boost pounds can you run on a 466 John Deere. Stock block, fire ringed .080 with .10 crush and 55 series head. Aftermarket head bolts.

Any input on what some of you higher boost guys are running and any problems you ran into while doing it. Thank you guys

Re: How many boost pounds can a JD 466 handle March 31, 2011 02:44PM
65 pounds no problems

Re: How many boost pounds can a JD 466 handle April 01, 2011 12:17AM
boost means nothing if you don't know the inlet temperature

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: How many boost pounds can a JD 466 handle April 01, 2011 01:07AM
I do not know my inlet tempature, I am running water in the crossover. We are not allowed innercoolers, only water for cooling the air. The reason I ask about boost pressures, I am working with a turbo company on building a turbo for the tractor. Just did not know how much pressure was to much. Thanks

Re: How many boost pounds can a JD 466 handle April 02, 2011 01:51PM
You are going to need to know flow rates on head, cam profile, etc. to get where you want to be. I heard a puller talking one day about how he put a smaller pipe on his turbo and gained a lot of boost. Couldn't figure out why it didn't run any better. Couldn't help but laugh out loud at him and walk away shaking my head. Boost is not the complete answer. Boost is a restriction, and like Sascha said, the cooler the better.

Re: How many boost pounds can a JD 466 handle April 03, 2011 12:42AM
this is a rather nice sheet:
[docs.engineeringtoolbox.com]
Doesn't look impressive at first, but if you look into it, you'll see that 50 psi boost at a 100F inlet temperature is the same amount of air as 100 psi at 600F, you probably get the idea.
Flow is the next "bitch" in this... as head porter already said.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: How many boost pounds can a JD 466 handle April 01, 2011 01:05PM
At around 150# you will start having fire ring failure and need to change to C-Rings.

Re: How many boost pounds can a JD 466 handle April 01, 2011 02:27PM
Thank you JD4455ssd. Are fire rings usually the first thing to let go?

Re: How many boost pounds can a JD 466 handle April 02, 2011 11:34PM
Before superfarm we ran a T18A95 on a 466 open RPMS. First it will push the crank or cam gear out the front cover unless it welded or straight cut gears. Next around 65lbs on a stock 55 head and a good cam it will shift the main caps and knock the main bearings out then a fluid damper and at least mill the main cap flat and put tool steel bar stock across them with good bolts or go to a girdle. Also somewere in between the stock pistons will turn to gravel and no piece will be bigger than a golf ball. Most of the time boost was 80-90 but with some tuning we hit 100-105 and it would usualy be wrecked. (God i must have liked fixing back then)

Re: How many boost pounds can a JD 466 handle April 02, 2011 02:23PM
What are c-rings?

Re: How many boost pounds can a JD 466 handle April 03, 2011 12:33AM
C-Rings are a lot more durable and reuseable than the wire rings. They also cost about $100.00 per cylinder. There is an inner ring and the outter ring. some guys don't use the outter ring, they just groove the sleeve like fire rings.

Re: How many boost pounds can a JD 466 handle April 03, 2011 12:38AM
The open part of the "C" faces the combustion chamber. The more pressure there is, the better the "C" ring seals, because the cylinder pressure expands the "C" and it seals tighter to the head and the sleeve.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009