How a mind works April 09, 2011 12:50PM
I was just wondering how someone justifies "cheating"? Not running the right parts. Please don't use your real name, I would like to know if you personally put on an illegal part how did you justify it in your mind. Please delete if you don't think this is appropriate. Thanks

Re: How a mind works April 09, 2011 01:13PM
It’s actually a very interesting discussion. I’ve heard people use the excuse that everyone is doing it. I actually have a friend who took performance enhancing drugs and justified it by telling me that all the people he raced against were doing it so he did it to level the field.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: How a mind works April 09, 2011 04:16PM
You know the funny thing is there has been 160 people look and even in annonimity the people that do not follow the rules still won't post. I think sometimes it's easier for people to do the wrong thing because they don't want to figure out how to make something run or work the way it should. To become a WINNER.

Re: How a mind works April 09, 2011 04:22PM
I have had competitors tell me it is their DUTY as a competitor to exploit every single loophole and grey area that can be found. I do push grey areas to the limit, but personally I don't want to violate the spirit of a rule, even if some contorted wording has unintended consequences. Not many of us in this sport are lawyers, not even the ones that are writing the rules. Sometimes just an ill-placed comma can cause a rule to have a different meaning.

I still think the people who read a rule that says, "do NOT do this", and proceed to do it anyways should be taken out behind the entry trailer and beaten with the illegal part/fuel jug/water jug/etc.

Re: How a mind works April 09, 2011 07:31PM
One had a guy call me a cheater! His exact quote, "Your a ef'n cheater! I know your cheat'n cause I am and your kick'n my a$$!"

Re: How a mind works April 10, 2011 01:31AM
regardless if you are in motorsports, playing chutes and ladders, or in a committed relationship........ the accuser is usually the cheater...... I had someone accuse me of cheating once.... tested my fuel..... sample was put in a plastic used disposable water bottle... lol..... it came back with 0.8% pyrilladine...... yeah... wtf is that right..... but hey the chemist said it had a nitrogen in the chemical makeup...... well heck, it must be nitromethane then right..... of course it didn't have any oxygen in it.... but hey nitrogen is power.....i just laughed... what a bunch of idiots......... come to find out the mystery chemical that nobody has ever heard of is used in the production of plastic..... guess it leached from the bottle the sample was taken from... eh?..... still to this day... 7 years later... regardless of the outcome, my cheater brand is still visible.

cheating hurts many people, whether you cheat or not..... the accusation is just as bad to an innocent person as it is to a guilty that is caught. I don't know why people cheat... maybe their whole life is built on deceit and coming out on top regardless of who you step.

to sleddawg April 10, 2011 03:00AM
"the accusation is just as bad to an innocent person as it is to a guilty that is caught."
That statement is SO true!!

Re: How a mind works April 10, 2011 04:20PM
Years ago I had a exfamily member that would cheat to win I wasn't in the sport at the time then years later I started to pull and about the third pull I attended someone accused me of cheating just because of the ex member. So even having that label on yourself still hurts other people. Needless to say that guy was lucky I didn't just clock him.

Re: How a mind works April 10, 2011 01:58AM
I ran a hitch too high at a brush pull way back when I first started pulling. Shouldn't have, I'm not proud of it. And would never do again regardless. Justified it in my mind at the time because there were NO written rules what so ever, NO hitch ht. checking, and I had jumped up a class. Looking back, it still was not right but I can't correct it.

I have been accused of cheating with too many cubic inches more times than I can remember, often by people I have since learned had a big motor.

Personally I consider cheating, as being little different than stealing both money and or pride from people who should've earned it by playing right and by the rules. Often those people are people you call friends. If your cheating a friend... some friend you are.

Bret

Re: How a mind works April 10, 2011 04:49AM
I am a little confused no rules no cheating. How was the hitch high if there was no rule on height. I have ran a high hitch when there wasn't a rule saying how high it could be, didn't consider that cheating because there was no rule. The only thing i can think of was using a revlimiter instead of the governor. Don't know if that was cheating but everytime they checked the rpm's the tractor was legal.

Re: How a mind works April 10, 2011 05:04AM
If a person is cheating, it is all based on his moral compass. To put it plainly. If a person cheats then that person's morals are at question. "Less than honest" is a term that comes to mind. This person is more than likely to operate his business the same way. My experience is to just walk away from a person that cheats because if he thinks he can cheat to be a winner, more than likely he is the one to stab you in the back. The way I figure it. Lead a godly life. Correct you mistakes (we all make them) and keep going forward. "Judge not, less thee be judged". I figure godt will take care of this in the end. I would not like to explain to god why I cheated to win a tractor pull

And if it not in the rules.......its legal

Re: How a mind works April 10, 2011 05:21AM
There are some that think "everyone else is cheating, so who cheats the most, wins" . I'd rather follow the rules and finish in 2nd!

Re: How a mind works April 10, 2011 10:48AM
I think there are many reasons we as pullers are tempted to cheat. I think we are all tempted, but most of us choose not to cross the line. I think a big one is your budget. Its expensive to make big power, keep it together and stay legal. I also think that once you've started to cheat, it's even harder to stop. I've known people who dont care if they cheat, its still winning to them. I do think it ok to tread right up to the "gray area" but you've got to know when your going to far. my 2cents worth anyway

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2011 10:56AM by Ladell.

Re: How a mind works April 10, 2011 03:01PM
I have never cheated, nor have I ever been tempted to. I have asked for things yes, allways at a rules meeting before the next season.
The rules were not changed for me and that is ok. What I have a problem with is pullers telling me to do it anyway and then the same pullers"protesting" me incognito after I beat them legally with what little I have.

Re: How a mind works April 10, 2011 03:16PM
LOL.... oh yeah.... they guys that get someone else to protest you then hide in the bushes to watch the outcome...... yeah been there too.....

Re: How a mind works April 10, 2011 05:45PM
Better when you beat the cheaters straight up and to see the dumb look in there face because they know your not playing the bs game they are. Priceless to see that look!!

Re: How a mind works April 11, 2011 12:08AM
I was on the board of directors for 2 out of the 3 years of a term and found out the sad truth about teching vehicles and friends on the board. Basically i was trying to do the teching by the book since i was a new director and there was another director that would let things pass for his truck and his buddies. I think one major problem with rule enforcement is the people that are supposed to tech and enforce the rules have a vested interest in the class with their own truck in the class or their best friends in the class. I think there should be an independent tech man that doesnt pull in the class or at all and isnt going to be swayed from the rules if their buddy pulls. Whats the point in having rules if the board doesnt enforce them? I think some people try and test the cheating limits to see what they can get away with, when they arent corrected the cheating or rule bending doesnt stop.

Re: How a mind works April 12, 2011 02:16AM
Alot of orgnaizations create rules for classes and then they let them fall to the way side. People bend rules and take advantage of gray areas simply because the organization doesn't have an interpreter to govern the rules. That's a lot of the reason that many of these classes are out of had finanically.

Then, when someone shows up and it's obvious they've done something to push the rules, they allow them to run and they change the rules to accomodate their set-up. It's time organizations stop catering to people. Follow the rules for that particular class or pull in another class.

I agree with mfd1221. If you're going to have folks teching, have folks that have no affiliation with that particular class. That way you eliminate the good ol' boy system.

I also, agree, that if it's not in the rules, it's not in the rules...there should be no overthinking...If it's a concern, put it in the rules. Alot of organizations won't allow updates to rules for 2 years. If it's to tighten up the integrity, or something simple, then make a change regardless....

Just my two cents...

Re: How a mind works April 12, 2011 04:30AM
I actually think some people cheat more for the thrill of getting something by people more than the actual winning. You have to admit there are some ingenious cheaters out there, if they applied that to legal form just imagine what they could do.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009