corn planting April 12, 2011 09:20AM
Live in southwest Wi. started today. How are other guys making out. Thanks.

Re: corn planting April 12, 2011 10:31AM
Northeast Iowa. Waiting til 18th. Have all the ground worked and ready but decided to hold off til we get thru the cold wet weather forecasted for the end of the week.

Re: corn planting April 12, 2011 11:40AM
Central Ia planting like crazy.

Re: corn planting April 12, 2011 11:43AM
Mid Michigan trying to scare the ducks out out of the fields ! Still a little wet.

Re: corn planting April 12, 2011 12:21PM
Northwest ohio waiting on some warm weather

Re: corn planting April 12, 2011 12:39PM
EASTERN PA TO WET CANT GET IN FIELD NEED SUN & WARM WEATHERSmilingCool

Re: corn planting April 12, 2011 12:53PM
Nw Pa. Can't hardly get spreaders thru field! Not much dirt turned around here.

Re: corn planting April 12, 2011 01:54PM
sw mn. waiting for snow to melt. cold and wet. hope to go in 10 -14 days

Re: corn planting April 12, 2011 01:58PM
North East Ohio, 6 straight days of rain here still tryin to figure out how to get oats in the ground them we will try for some corn.

Re: corn planting April 12, 2011 01:58PM
east central Indiana is still wet, more rain and cool weather in the forecast, most of the dry fertilizer is spread, some ammonia put on, but i'm waiting on a dry and warmer forecast before the planter rolls, too expensive to do it twice!

Re: corn planting April 12, 2011 02:34PM
Central Missouri corn planters are going like crazy.

Re: corn planting April 12, 2011 02:38PM
Just got done, time to go tracter pullin!!!

Re: corn planting April 12, 2011 03:31PM
southeast,Nebraska Quite a few guys goin this week

Re: corn planting April 12, 2011 03:38PM
North Central Iowa, 15 miles south of Minn. border, Haven't turned a wheel. Still too cold. Frost in ground yet.

Re: corn planting April 12, 2011 04:31PM
Central Illinois. All nitrogen and pre on. Had 8/10ths to an inch of rain Sunday night. Checked ground temp Sunday morning at 10:30 am and it was 62 at 4 inches. Still too wet from Sundays rain. Might go Thursday but that would be right ahead of a cold and wet period according to the "experts". Some corn is planted here but not much. If it was a week later, and we had this forcast I would go. Not sure i want to do that right now.

Re: Corn planting.."The Rain Came Down" April 12, 2011 04:48PM
Seed is in the bag and still in the barn..No idea when we will get to start here in Southwestern Ohio..Too wet and cold,in fact just had a little over 2 inches of rain in the past 2 days..Just this month of April we have recieved right at 4 1/2 inches of rain..Forecast doesn't sound promising for any major change..Most years we start planting corn around the middle of April,give or take a day or maybe a month this year?..Gonna be one of those mud the crop in Spring's,burn it up it up Summer's and mud it out Fall's...Reminds me of this song be Steve Earle,a fitting song for most farmers...Randy..A Proud 4th Generation Farmer...

"The Rain Came Down"

The old man loaded up everything that he owned
On a wagon and headed out west
The old woman fearlessly faced the unknown
'Cause she figured he knew what was best
And they settled down hard on a government grant
With six mouths to feed and forty acres to plant

And the rain came down
Like an angel come down from above
And the rain came down
It'll wash you away and there ain't never enough

Fall turned to winter another year gone
Over and over again
Some took their lives from their land and moved on
And some stayed on to plow it back in
And the good Lord he giveth and he taketh away
And the restless shall go and the faithful shall stay

Now my grandaddy died in the room he was born in
Twenty-three summers ago
But I could have sworn he was beside me this morning
When the sheriff showed up at my door
So don't you come around here with your auctioneer man
'Cause you can have the machines but you ain't taking my land

And the rain came down
Like an angel come down from above
And the rain came down
It'll wash you away and there ain't never enough

Steve Earle - The Rain Came Down on YouTube

Re: corn planting April 13, 2011 12:53AM
Here in SW Indiana we are in a holding pattern. We got an inch and half of rain on Monday and eight tenths of an inch of rain on Saturday. We put on about four hundred acres of ammonia before the first rain came down and got about eight hundred acres to go. We got about no corn in the ground yet but some guys in the neighboring counties were planting last week. It got hammered in the ground pretty good and not sure I would have risked it yet pretty early but some guys got the itch.

Re: corn planting April 13, 2011 01:11AM
Lot of corn planted and being planted this week in Central and NE Kansas.

Re: corn planting April 13, 2011 07:07AM
southern illinois dirt balls up to wet. some fertilizer and gas is on not much yet though. Doin odds and ends and stayin cool with a few beers

Re: corn planting April 13, 2011 10:07AM
sw missouri. 30 miles from kansas. 45 miles from OK every feild has a tractor in it, LOTS of corn in the ground!

Re: corn planting April 13, 2011 02:55PM
In SE Nebraska some corn put in last week, not alot around my area, but this week alot hit it pretty good including me, getting some of the fields that are known to be wetter done first, working good until it rains in the next couple days. Darin

Re: corn planting April 13, 2011 11:47PM
I like this post, it is interesting to see what is going on in other parts of the country, here in southeast ohio it is to wet to do anything, but the sun is out today

Re: corn planting April 14, 2011 12:29AM
Here in Northeast Pa. I can't even walk on our lawn. We won't be in the fields anytime soon. Last year we had our oats in and a lot of chisel plowing done for corn. Going to do a lot of No-till sod for corn this year if it ever dries & warms up. Good luck to everyone!

Re: corn planting April 14, 2011 01:02AM
is their any shortage of 11-37, or 10-34 out there. i heard their might beout here in the west

Re: corn planting April 14, 2011 04:12AM
Eastern Ohio a mud pit. Steve Earle says it well.

Re: corn planting April 14, 2011 12:26PM
A lot of corn in ground in north missouri. Most would disagree but a rain would not hurt things. Seems like we have been missing here lately and a little to early for that

Re: corn planting April 14, 2011 01:19PM
I am in Central KY and the river is over most of my ground (5 inches fell on Monday and Tuesday), I was hoping to have started by now but looks like that isnt going to happen with another 2 inches of water coming Friday and Saturday. Next week looks like another wet one so we will get started sometime I suppose. This time last year I was done and had corn emerged.

Re: corn planting April 14, 2011 01:27PM
eastern pa sun today going to try burn down tomorrow on shale grond glad for no till good look ever one

Re: corn planting April 14, 2011 01:49PM
SW Wisconsin -All ground is worked and ready to go. Just hoping for a rain once, it keeps going north of us. Getting dry and dusty here.

Re: corn planting April 14, 2011 02:36PM
Wow looks like things are really shaping up to be interesting already

Re: corn planting April 14, 2011 02:46PM
Well I worked and planted 20 acres today behind our house just to make sure the planter was working ok. It worked and planted better than a garden. Only one other time in my 32 years of farming have I seen that. I wonder what I am doing wrong this year! lol I did not keep going because I do not like the weather forecast for our area at this time of the year.

Re: corn planting April 15, 2011 07:26AM
Haven't seen much in southern Michigan. The ground is being turned just this week mostly, so probably next week the pace will be quickened. Lots of flowers in the ground with plastic tarps covering (we are the gladiolius capital of the world). Still chilly here but not getting the rain that is forecasted

Re: corn planting April 15, 2011 07:55AM
Southeast South Dakota was starting to dry off, but not after last night & today!

[www.ulmerracing.com]

Re: corn planting April 15, 2011 08:18AM
That looks great Allen! I suppose that you will be out testing sleds instead of planting.

uh oh April 15, 2011 11:39AM
[radar.weather.gov]

Re: corn planting April 15, 2011 01:06PM
In NE Nebraska I've gotten 2+ inches of rain and about 8 inches of snow. I don't think we will plant any in April this year.

Re: corn planting April 15, 2011 05:00PM
Snows a flying in west centeral wi

Re: corn planting April 15, 2011 07:00PM
good luck to all this season

Re: corn planting April 16, 2011 06:13AM
Don't like it either cold snap and alot of rain, sounds too much like corn rotting in the ground...

Re: corn planting April 17, 2011 01:04PM
eastern iowa. 1 inch needed rain friday then snow saturday morning. just the big boys planting. hope it rots .

Re: corn planting April 17, 2011 02:46PM
I am a bto and I am offended that you feel that way. lol

Re: corn planting April 18, 2011 03:10AM
Don't be jealous of the big guy! You would be better off learning from them. They didn't get where their at complaining about the little guy. Hard work and ignore the whiners.

Re: corn planting April 18, 2011 04:19AM
The more acreage, the more head aches. Some think it's worth it, some don't. We're all going out with the same amount in the end anyway.

Re: corn planting April 18, 2011 09:51AM
But the harder you work the harder you get to play!

Re: corn planting April 26, 2011 09:16AM
Thank you!! You said just what I was thinking!

Re: corn planting April 18, 2011 01:02AM
North central Indiana saw a few snowflakes this morning with southwestern Michigan, according to radar, receiving a blanketing. Continuing to stay cold and damp, if not rainy. Great apple scab disease weather. Have a decent amount of fertilizer/lime applied. Seems to be a considerable amount of anhydrous already applied around area. Not aware of any corn planted yet, which with way weather is, its a good thing, even on the sands.

Re: corn planting April 18, 2011 07:40AM
whats the best fertilizer to put on a lawn i put some 27-10-10 last spring and i think it made it worse would you put lime on in the spring or fall

Re: corn planting April 18, 2011 02:17PM
I think the best thing for a lawn is Roundup Spring and Fall. lol. Central Ia, neighbor has 1,000 ac planted, been in ground 1 week, forcast not looking good for another week, getting nervous had to be first one planting.

Re: lawn liming April 18, 2011 03:11PM
Ideally, fall applied lime is best. But that really depends on fineness of grind and rainfall. With the continual rain we're receiving, our finely ground currently applied lime in our fields will go to work. Seen it before, that spring applied really can work that season.
HiCal lime is only thing our lawn got, About 10 years ago. It sure awakened the grass. We mow it rather long with our mulcher blades and leave the clippings there. Our lawn will stay greener far longer than the neighbors when drought is upon us. We never irrigate the lawn either.
Probably should soil sample the lawn to see what the Ca/Mag ratio is to determine if need to apply lime again.

Re: corn planting April 21, 2011 11:16AM
Still SNOW in ditches from tuesday storm . don't think corn thats planted appreciated that! North Central Iowa ,Southern Minnesota!

Re: corn planting April 26, 2011 10:23AM
A year ago today had corn 2 in. high. We are about 2% done. Live in southwest Wi. Things have to get better.

Re: corn planting April 28, 2011 01:48PM
Some of the corn down here in SW georgia is at least knee high,some is almost waist high.The shortest I have seen is about 8 inches Smiling

Re: corn planting April 28, 2011 01:53PM
yeah but that ga bunch plants during the gin show and then move on to cotton and peanuts

Re: corn planting April 28, 2011 02:05PM
here in Indiana, the only thing thats knee or waist high is the water!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,736, Posts: 229,872, Members: 3,333.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,986.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM