Why don't they just let.... 4x4 Mods April 28, 2011 05:55AM
Why don't they let the 4x4 Mod's use electronic fuel injection?

The guys with the money pretty much have everything set up so electronically after a run they know exactly what to put. For the racer who don't have the Dime to buy all these extra electronic devices for after a run are pretty much going in blind risking their engines. I'm sure the guys with the money have their mechanical set up to run just like a EFI. Why not just let EFI in the class so engines won't be ruined due to a stupid calculation error.

Re: Why don't they just let.... 4x4 Mods April 28, 2011 07:38AM
The efi for that application would be a lot more expensive than a data recorder.
And traction control would be so much more efficient with EFI also.

Re: Why don't they just let.... 4x4 Mods April 28, 2011 09:09AM
EFI would be a lot more money than a $15k Holman fuel system? Not in the real world...

Re: Why don't they just let.... 4x4 Mods April 28, 2011 09:28AM
A day at the dyno will teach you all kinds of things, like a good place to start with your fuel setup. And if you want to get the rules changed, join an organization, go to the rules meeting and try to change the rule.

Re: Why don't they just let.... 4x4 Mods April 28, 2011 03:29PM
Maybe a good question for Sascha.. as I think they are running EFI on their Allisons..

Re: Why don't they just let.... 4x4 Mods April 28, 2011 06:29PM
The question is really more for the whole sport "Diablo." What is the definition of Electronic Fuel Injection????? Is it a full electronic management system or is it just the injector being signaled by an electrical impulse?

I can see where your question is going. And you know that I am a long time student of the sport and I would like to think that I am up to speed on how the world of performance really works. So, let's consider this, I have a engine management system and I have "maxed out" my current hardware, i.e. my injectors to the point that my computer can't keep up with my engine demands. My next option is to upgrade my injectors. I mean the computer can only let the set that I already have deliver so much, right? Now instead of a tunable $30 per injector(on the mechanical side) I am now tuning with a $600 dollar injector per cylinder.

Those of you who have equipment on the farm can verify the cost. Take a set of 6 injectors for a 4020(?) and compare them to the cost of a 7320(?) Now that you have done that, compare the horsepower gain from one to another.

I honestly think that the world of pulling could not "stand" the upgrade to true electronic injection. I think that we would create a wider divide between the have's and have nots. There is more to the big picture than I am trying to predict.l I think most of the big fans can see the light????????

Re: Why don't they just let.... 4x4 Mods April 28, 2011 09:27PM
EFI has been tried in the past on 4x4s. Tommy T had combination mech fuel inj/ EFI setup that ran with the old ATPA for awhile. Performance alky EFI gets pretty expensive, pretty fast. And you got to give credit to the inexpensive mech fuel inj setups out their today that run pretty good, [will run right with Holmans 15K system]
Diablo, just keep the fuel system clean and alittle on the rich [SAFE] side, and you'll be just fine!

Re: Why don't they just let.... 4x4 Mods April 29, 2011 12:56AM
For a Meth EFI system you would want to run two injectors per cylinder right from the start. This would give you better fuel atomization and distribution as well as giving you more than an adequate tuning window (ie. no problems not having enough injector shot). EFI is still an affordable option for many racers. EFI is the way of the future, like it or not... As far as the "regular" Mech. injections running right with the down nozzle systems I beg to differ...

Re: Why don't they just let.... 4x4 Mods April 29, 2011 02:09AM
The one other thing that I forgot to mention in response to one of the other posts was that this would need to be a change across the boards to work... Say if NTPA allows it and PPL doesn't or vis versa it is pointless. In todays age of pulling I really think that the majority of pullers pull across sanctioning body lines and a division in the rules never helps anyone. On a side note I know that PPL alows for larger engines, but it seems the pullers have adapted to that. This is a good discussion by the way.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009