done planting corn May 04, 2011 02:02PM
done with corn. planted 525 a. 4020 and 6 row 7000. no auto steer problems here. no gps needed here. a little rain would be nice

Re: done planting corn May 04, 2011 02:11PM
just finished our 100 acres with a 4020 and 6 row 7000 also.

Re: done planting corn May 04, 2011 02:38PM
15 acres left to go. 4010 and a 7000 also. If it will just stay dry another day. Then it will be 23 row kinze and 3788 2+2 for beans.

Re: done planting corn May 08, 2011 02:08PM
Two 36 row DB 90s, 6200 acres of corn done and 3500 acres of beans done. Started May 2nd got done today May 8th. Finish spraying the first time probly Wed. Lets go pullin!!!

Re: done planting corn May 13, 2011 01:05AM
One 72 row KBV planter, one 48 row JDB planter, 18,000 acres of corn , 14,000 acres of beans done. Pretty easy spring this year, hoping to expand so I can get my son involved in farming.

Re: done planting corn May 13, 2011 09:18AM
one question r u bragging or complaining just want to be sure

Re: done planting corn May 13, 2011 11:53AM
and last night when we were all sleeping he planted 2 acres of weed..by hand!Drinking

Re: done planting corn May 13, 2011 12:04PM
Sez the man with the shoulder high corn.

Re: done planting corn May 13, 2011 12:55PM
Just playing,dont take it personal...but I do find it hard to believe your numbers...where in the usa is there that many acres in one spot farmed by one farmerBeer? BTW the corn is now over my head tall...want more pics?

Re: done planting corn May 13, 2011 01:50PM
Now boys breathe deeply and count to ten. The sandbox is big enough for everybody. LMAO

DPS

Re: done planting corn May 14, 2011 04:29AM
I didn't come on here and accuse you of planting an illegal substance. I think I'll cry.

I was just funnin with the original numbers, the old first liar doesn't stand a chance syndrome.

I really get a kick out of the guys that like to tell everyone how they are legends in their own minds.

Sorry for the crazy exaggerations, but just wait, someone may top it yet!! , and be telling the truth!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: done planting corn May 16, 2011 04:15AM
There are several farmers in Illlinois that farm quite a few more acres than what he is talking about.

Re: done planting corn May 16, 2011 09:56PM
I think most of the the farmers in Ill farm more than that. And the other 2/3 farm twice as much. Only half the Iowa farmers farm that much, the other 7/8 farm about 1/3 more than that and a couple guys farm the rest. Now Nebraska and South Dakota, everyone but 2 farmers farm more than this and the 2 farmers farm the rest.
They are all done planting and spraying, the combines are warmed up, it should take about 2 and a half days to harvest, the corn should yield around 322 on the poorer ground, and the good ground will make up the difference. It has all been sold for 7.46 a bushel, and has been hedged in case of an upswing in the market. Now the beans, 14.83 a bushel, 91 bushel per acre, yields are down a little, but next year looks good, wheres those subsidy checks???!!!! I want to go pullin!!!

Re: done planting corn May 18, 2011 05:11AM
Theres gotta be another "cash crop" growing up there ya aint telling us about..yer numbers are amazing! And they say the "good stuff" comes from mexico..Just wondering what seed plates ya use for that stuff? The same ones ya use for sugar beets?Beer

Re: done planting corn May 19, 2011 12:44PM
Corns about knee high now, beans are flowering. Wish I had more acres to do kinda gitten bored.

Re: done planting corn May 20, 2011 03:50AM
Hey KMS,I just talked to a friend in northern ohio up by the lake.He said they dont have a thing planted yet due to all of the rain.He has some heavy ground that doesnt dry very fast.Bet he would take you up on helping him plant this year if your bored.Want his number?

Re: done planting corn May 21, 2011 02:43AM
my comments on this subject are directed at my friends in Ohio and Indiana. They usually are done and the corn is up before I can start so when pulling season comes around they always give me a hard time when I tell them that I don't know if I'll make the first pull because we are farming yet. This year because of Mother Nature I am the one done waiting on them to get done before pulling. But if you have some trailers that you could donate to the cause and get my stuff out there I would love to go out for a visit and help them out.

Re: done planting corn May 22, 2011 01:44AM
Thats a great offer.I dont think he has the capability to haul any large equipment that distance.I think his biggest issue is having enough "good tractor drivers" to fill the seats once it dries up enough to start.But Im sure some extra tractors,tillage equipment and planters would be very welcome.Give him a call if your serious about helping 419-355-3373 ask for Dave.
What a spring.Were going into severe drought here in southerrn georgia,the mississippi river valley is flooded beyond their highest expectations,and areas in ohio,mich,ind etc have had the wettest spring on record.Along with a record number of tornadoes.Wonder what we did to piss off mother nature?Confused

Re: done planting corn May 21, 2011 06:11AM
Finally got done planting my 37.6 acres of corn with my John Deere B Tractor
and John Deere 2 row corn planter and have 15.3 acres of beans to do yet.

Please help Uncle Jesse in Southern Wiscosnin !!!

Re: done planting corn May 04, 2011 02:42PM
Got another 8-10 acres left here, gotta finish plowing the sod. Then will be done til after first crop hay. Probably the best field conditions I could have hoped for. I run and IH 686 pulling a 4-row JD 7000. Might be small, but I don't use a quarter tank of fuel total on 45 acres!

Re: done planting corn May 04, 2011 10:55PM
You guys bragging or from outer-space.Around here in north central Ohio all the corn is out of the ground.....and still in the bags.To much rain and calling for more for the next ten days.When it dries up we will hit it hard and hope and pray it doesn't stay dry.

Re: done planting corn May 04, 2011 11:42PM
Must be hobby farmers using 1/4 tank of fuel and planting 100 acres with a 6 row 7000 planter.

Re: done planting corn May 04, 2011 11:55PM
Ya for sure hobby farmers that like to brag

Re: done planting corn May 05, 2011 12:13AM
It is your bottom line that tells the story if you are a hobby farmer, and if you farm ten thousand acres and your tax liability is nothing you are not building equity, just working for the equipment company. What a operation looks like from the road sometimes tells a story way far away from reality. Society has brain trained farmers as a whole bigger is better, because they want you to borrow money, spend money on iron, get caught in the commodity volatility, anything to get your money, not saying farming alot is not the way to go, every situation is different. Some are working off of several generations of equity buildup and some are not. My question is.......how many guys think the farm economy is going to keep skyrocketing while the rest of the country is struggling to show any profitability?

Re: done planting corn May 05, 2011 02:15AM
Right now all of the corn is in the bag here in sw indiana. I got about 250 acres of ammonia on that is about it and I put that on a month ago. I would estimate about a good week of drying weather with no rain before I would be able to get on the ground. Starting to get a little nervous cause I got about 1000 acres of corn to plant hoping it is not going to get into june.

Re: done planting corn May 05, 2011 03:45AM
Her in Branch County Michigan, border of Indiana, they are hitting it hard from Sunday on. There is a lot of seed going in the ground. 35 degrees this morning, but we have had no appreciable rain for four days now. Light rain is forecast for next couple of days as well as low to mid 60s. Not ideal planting weather, but it is getting done. JW

Re: done planting corn May 05, 2011 04:14AM
Northeast Pa. wet and cold. Sprayed 50 acres of sod for no-till and got another 2" of rain. We won't be planting corn or oats for at least another week. Hay is growing good. Good luck to all big and small!!

Re: done planting corn May 05, 2011 01:49PM
no really. done planting. a lot of corn planted in iowa. guy down the road worked on auto steer for two days. if he had a 4020 he could have been planting.28 degees last two mornings. brrrrr. good luck to the rest of you. great planting conditions here.

Re: done planting corn May 05, 2011 02:06PM
if you could get big you would, you are trying to make yourself feel better because you are not. I would grow if i could.

Re: done planting corn May 05, 2011 02:33PM
fudd- not everyone is big. Not everyone wants to be big. Not everyone considers big to be better. If you are big, I have no problem with that. If you are small and wishing to be big, that is not my problem. If you don't farm at all, your opinion doesn't matter anyhow. Yes, I will have about 50 acres of corn this year when all is done. Am I a hobby farmer? No, I milk cows, and only need enough corn to keep them full. I can't speak for the others, but I like being small enough to get my corn planted in 3 days.

Re: done planting corn May 05, 2011 03:17PM
Got my dry day I mentioned in earlier post. Got done planting corn about noon, raining by 2:00 oclock. Good thing is I can maybe finish up putting the pulling tractor together for playday this saturday in Sedalia Mo. That is if all the changes work and it starts and runs. Don't have any time for unplanned delays so heres to luck, made some major changes so we need a hook or two to see if it's going to work. Also this big/little thing is each his own. I know some "big" farmers that work a lot more hours than I do with my "little" farm that probably pay less income taxes than I do. I don't farms a lot of acres, but I'll tell you one thing I sure aren"t a hobby farmer in the IRS's eyes. Now it's time to get some beans in the ground when it get dry enought to run.

Re: done planting corn May 06, 2011 02:55AM
Congrats on getting corn in the ground. Here in NE Ohio we are still trying to figure out how to get oats in the ground and you cannot even think of planting corn or beans yet. Had Frost yesterday morning. Good news is there is a chance that weather is looking up for next week so mabye we will be running by then. As far as Big guy and Little guy. What most may forget is that even you big guys were little at one time. There is no reason to try and out-do The Jones's. If you are happy and content with the size of your opperation and Profitable at the end of the year then good for you. We would love to be farming about 3000 acres but I can tell you I DO NOT want the headaches that come with it. And I would bet that when it is all said and done with the added overhead and imput costs the little guys are just as profitable as the big guys.

Re: done planting corn May 06, 2011 03:17AM
I hear ya, same thing down here in SW Pennsylvania. Can't get the corn outta the bags yet. It won't quit raining long enough to get it planted. Not that its a huge operation, but the seed still needs in the ground within the same window of time. It looks like there might be hay mowed before any furrows are turned over for oats and alfalfa.

Re: done planting corn May 06, 2011 06:16AM
seen beans being planted today sw wisc

Re: done planting corn May 06, 2011 08:45AM
Here in extreme N. W. Ohio, nobody even trying it, rain again this morning, only 59 deg. Some fertilizer and chemical heading north over the line to sandier soil. Gonna be a tough spring

Re: done planting corn May 06, 2011 10:07AM
extreme north central IL. , Tons of iron in the fields, and on the roads! Hope everyone get planted before pulling gets going!!

Re: done planting corn May 06, 2011 11:44AM
I farm around 2600 acres and sometimes I feel like I farm around 2000 acres too many.

Re: done planting corn May 06, 2011 12:18PM
Central Ia done with corn, started beans. Feel for you guys with bad weather, we have had an excellent last 10 days finally. We have had frost every day this week but wed.

Re: done planting corn May 07, 2011 08:52AM
Same here around Arcola In. [we're about 60 miles south of Mich and 30 mles west of the Ohio lines.] Not a seed in the ground and its lightly raining now. Our equipment isn't new but not really antique either so we're not in any trouble yet. I do feel sorry for the bigger guys though as the weather here isn't looking any better in the future. Our seed man farms around 2800 acres [big for our general area] and all his seed is still in the shed.

Re: done planting corn May 06, 2011 01:56PM
here in swpa been mowing hay for 2 days got to love grazing 280 dairy cows

Re: done planting corn May 06, 2011 01:03PM
Outerspace? What planet are y'all from?.Y'all will probably think I am from outerspace when I tell you the corn here is waist high.Wheat is turning,hay is being baled,and the melons are coming to the local market.Its dry here.Were 8" behind normal rainfall for the year.Rain has went north and south of us.Pivots are working most of the time.Its been above average temps for some time now.Its normally low 80 right now,but were looking at mid 90 this week and no sign of rain for the next 10 days.We had a good spring,but its quickly drying up.Thanks to pivots for field crops and drip irrigation for the pecans or we would be heading for disaster.
4010's and deere 7000 planters have been history here for decades.There are 5 yr old tractors here with 7-8000 hrs on em!Good luck with plantin...were getting ready to harvest!Beer

Re: done planting corn May 06, 2011 01:09PM
You must be farming in California living the Hollywood rockstar life. lol My parents took me to CA when I was a kid and we drove from Iowa in a pickup. The one thing I was amazed at was the amount of farming. It was awesome driving thru CA and smelling hay!

DPS

Re: done planting corn May 06, 2011 01:40PM
i drove around around southwest wisconsin they are planting like mad dogs and burning mid night oil

Re: done planting corn May 06, 2011 02:42PM
No Roger I have been in before 11 every night!! LOL

Re: done planting corn May 07, 2011 03:04AM
No were actually in SW Georgia.No rockstar life here!Its actually real quiet...too quiet..need a good tractor pull to go to.Yawning

Re: done planting corn May 07, 2011 06:36AM
Yeah, I with you on the tractor pull part. Get the work done then go play.

DPS

Re: done planting corn-hey Doule B May 09, 2011 11:33AM
Not sayin your from outerspace but lets see a picture of this waist high corn!?

Re: done planting corn-hey Double B May 09, 2011 11:56PM
I will take a pic today and post later tonite.Were heading into drought so some of it may not get much taller..were -6 inches for the year.We could use some of that mississippi dew over here.Beer

Re: I told a little fib.. May 10, 2011 11:36AM
Well ya kinda caught me in a white lie....but I didnt want to make you guys feel bad that still have the corn in the bag.The corn isnt waist high its SHOULDER HIGH and more!This is irrigated ground,but most dry ground isnt too far behind.All of that could change for the dry ground if we dont get some good rain soon.I took this picture today at 6:40pm on lamar rd,Leslie,Ga.

Re: I told a little fib.. May 10, 2011 02:05PM
Heck if you go down to florida they are probably chopping silage right now or at least in the next little while.

Re: done planting corn May 06, 2011 03:47PM
To you guys with the 7000's....do you get an even plant population? I can't. had everything in box mechanism gone thru-all brand new parts. new chains on corn boxes, still has even skips on basically all 4 rows.....never get 6 plants dropped evenly without a skip. What am I missing"" box belts are all new also. Bent or stiff chain on other drive shains possibly? bent shaft?

Re: done planting corn May 06, 2011 10:51PM
check clutch

Re: done planting corn May 06, 2011 10:53PM
7000 Work the best about 4 or 5 mph. Don't forget you are working with a planter at least 22 or 23 yrs old, ANTIQUE! lol

Re: done planting corn May 06, 2011 11:18PM
Won't disagree with having a skip or even the fact that about any planter is best at 4 or 5 mph, especally when you are planting around 32000 population but cost verses gain just isn't an advantage for us little guys so I don't worry about a little skip, just plant it thick, fertilize heavy, use the latest techniagely and hope for some good weather. Then get out the "old" and I do mean old combine when fall comes and go to shelling corn. I'm not going to even start a bragging story here, but I bet we come in at or near the top if the truth is told. Oh by the way the puller started last night and sounds good. Don't know if it will run when hooked to the sled or not, but I guess that is to be found out yet, It's raining here so play day at sedalia could be kinda ify.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2011 11:25PM by farmall puller.

Re: done planting corn May 06, 2011 11:52PM
to Bad Medicine-that is the same seed metering device that Kinze still uses today, if in good shape very accurate. and to the guy with skips, take your meters to a shop with the computer system to run them, if they are off they can be corrected. and I run a 7000 myself and I am mostly red, but I never liked them IH blower planters-had one and that is not accurate after seed travel down those tubes. but you can go fast !

Re: done planting corn May 07, 2011 01:04AM
get units run on test stand. use mr seed . works the best great stand with my 7000

Re: done planting corn May 07, 2011 07:16AM
insecticide wheels can bind causing skips

Re: done planting corn May 07, 2011 12:57PM
still trying to push the ducks out of the feilds in central ohio, very wet, not a seed in the ground,still hoping to top dress wheat,no fertilizer put down or no anhydrous knifed yet ,very little tillage done

Re: done planting corn May 09, 2011 05:54AM
850 acres of corn 850 acres of beans. Would love to get bigger, have some more ground for next year.

MX 230 and 12 row Case IH 1220 planter

One more day and we will have corn planted, then on to beans Weather has been pretty nice last week or so.

Re: done planting corn May 09, 2011 03:07PM
Done with corn last week, will finish beans tommorrow if all goes well. Hope to beat the good chance of rain on wednesday here in SE Nebraska, which we need a good .5 to1.00 inch of rain, getting pretty dry on top. Have 1600 acres of corn and 1200 of beans planted with a CaseIH 1250 16 row and 7140 mfd. Good luck to all. Darin

Re: done planting corn May 10, 2011 04:18PM
do you own all that ground ?

Re: done planting corn May 11, 2011 02:48PM
Own 2000 acres, rest cash rent, we did get a nice shower today and a decent chance for next day and night, we got lucky, we needed it. Darin

Re: done planting corn May 12, 2011 12:36AM
I was wondering if maybe you would be interested in adopting myself? I could call ya dad and you could call me son. Would I have any siblings to contend with, um I mean to share with? what do you say=dad? sounds good doesn't it.....

Re: done planting corn May 14, 2011 07:24AM
wHICH CASE IH 1200 SERIES PLANTER IS THE BEST AND WHATS THE DIFF.(1200, 1250 ECT.....)

Re: done planting corn May 14, 2011 02:37PM
The row units on the 1200 and 1250 are the same, it's the frame is where the difference is. Case IH finally come with the 1250 four years ago, which is what I waited for for about 8 years. In my area inSE NE we need to have good flex in the tool bar to plant most fields straight, and the 16 row for example flexes 5-6-5, which follows contour of field very good. I had a 955 16 row front fold that flexed the same but the 1250 is all aroung much better like narrow tow, higher lift, better folding, 2pt. hitch, bulk fill, Pro 600 and hyd. drive, pnuematic down pressure among other things like better seed spacing etc. The 1200 or 1220 is like a Kinze, for transport lifts and turns sideways, which is great if it fits you type of ground. Both are excellent planters, just my opionon. Darin

Re: done planting corn May 15, 2011 01:39AM
Had a new 16 row 3 years ago worst stand I ever had . Traded for a new Kinze.

Re: done planting corn May 15, 2011 07:51AM
WHAT CAUSED SUCH A POOR STAND, TOO MUCH RAIN MIGHT HAVE BEEN A PROBLEM FOR A LOT OF US RATHER THAN PLANTER BRAND LAST 3 YEARS. OR DID YOU FIND SOMETHING ABOUT PLANTER TO ATTRIBUTE IT TO. ISN'T UNIT BASICALLY LIKE THE 900 AND 955. THE VACCUME UNIT SEED MONITORING SHOULD BE NUTS ON.

Re: done planting corn May 16, 2011 04:20AM
Having had both, in my opinion the kinze planter isn't half the planter that the Case IH is. You must have had a bad one. The Kinze is a good planter, but the case IH is better.

Re: done planting corn May 16, 2011 08:43AM
which due you prefer the 1200 or 1250?

Re: done planting corn May 19, 2011 04:06AM
I've not had a 1250, but I have had a 1220 and a kinze. The 1220 is a far better planter. The 1250 looks like it would be a great planter. When we get a new planter that will be our next purchase.

Re: done planting corn May 20, 2011 04:17AM
done planting corn in nothern WI. with a 24 row 20 case ih planter

Re: done planting corn May 21, 2011 07:55AM
the corn is starting to poke out down in southwest wi

Re: done planting corn May 21, 2011 09:39AM
Talked to cousin in wstrn ky this morning. Still trying to plant corn down there. Sounds like their wheat and tobacco crops are lost. He is 80 mi from where they blew the levee's and said they could feel it there! I think it's the first time we've ever been done up here before them!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,644, Posts: 229,710, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520