How do the mccormicks do it? May 13, 2011 03:22PM
how are the mccormicks running an ih tractor with mccormick sheetmetal. i understand that mccormick used to be part of international but why arent the mccormick guys using the cummins engines that are in the mccormicks?

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 13, 2011 03:35PM
If it's in GN Super Stock diesel, it doesn't matter anymore since you can run any engine with any sheet metal. If it's really that big of a deal, just switch the decals from the McCormick ones to a Case IH since the sheet metal is virtually the same; just paint the grille black to cover up the McCormick gray.

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 14, 2011 08:05AM
so if they were to run sf then they would have to use the cummins engine?

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 15, 2011 03:05AM
I believe so. Any class below GN Super Stock (diesel or Alky) is supposed to run the original block or OEM replacement.

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 15, 2011 03:57AM
A superfarm could be registered as a CaseIH MX 170 and have the McCormick decals and badges if you used the MTX 155 hoods.

Greg

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 16, 2011 01:49AM
dont the mccormiks have sisu power plants? or did the early ones have a cummins

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 16, 2011 04:18AM
Early ones had Perkins except the MTX200 which had a 5.9 Cummins.

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 16, 2011 05:47AM
You can add prostock to your list of engines that dont have to match sheet metal. Just sayin'

DPS

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 17, 2011 01:25AM
quit trying to start stuff!!! Smiling

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 18, 2011 05:04AM
amen! You need to find a real issue to complain about other than a puller not using politically correct decals!Eye Rolling

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 18, 2011 06:37AM
Probably runnig ih motor because some would be yelling about 4 valve cummins. That would be more of an issue than decals.

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 19, 2011 12:48AM
There was a McCormick that used to be in the IH lineage, but this McCormick has NO lineage other than name. This is a classic example of poorly written rules and the McCormick owners are taking full advantage of that.

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 19, 2011 04:44AM
NO they are not, the "mccormick" owners are actually doing something we all should look at. Rather than advertising for case IH they can build a 1066, use mx maxxum sheetmetal, and add mccormick decals to it so they dont have to give case ih all that free advertising. This would be like saying that if dale earnhardt jr. put a ford decal on his car it would be illegal because he was running a ford with a chevy engine or that john force's funny cars are actually fords. The decals dont make the brand!

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 20, 2011 07:40AM
You just made my point perfectly. I'm not blaming anyone or saying the McCormick owners are necessarily wrong, but they are - by your very example - taking advantage of poorly written rules.

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 20, 2011 09:43AM
So if you were to paint a john deere black or white that too should be illegal? If you put a set of decals on your tractor for a model that never existed should that be illegal? That is all these guys have done!

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 20, 2011 09:45AM
I dont necessarily disagree with your point, but I also dont agree with all the free advertising that caseih and deere get in this sport when they wont shell out any sponsorship money.

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 21, 2011 05:45AM
No, it's not what they've done... What the McCormick people are doing is misrepresenting their tractor to be of IH lineage, when it's not. If I started a tractor company and named it Oliver, and sold them with Sisu and Cummins engines, you couldn't build a component and put a 3208 Cat in it with my sheetmetal because some old Oliver came with it 50 years ago. My company would have no lineage to the original Oliver name.

If I take a JD and paint it red and put CaseIH on it, that's not within the spirit of the rule - but because the rules are so poorly written I'd think it's legal. If I put Chevrolet decals on it, that's a bit different given that they never made an ag tractor to my knowledge.

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 21, 2011 06:33PM
McCormick did not just build a tractor from scratch. They bought an existing line from CaseIH including the factory in Doncaster. The early McCormicks were actually just a CaseIH MX100-170 with a different motor. I think one could argue it's more of an IH than the MXM's that replaced them(blue tractor with a red paint job).

Greg

Re: How do the mccormicks do it? May 20, 2011 02:40AM
Or, they could build a 1066 and use 1066 tin. If they use the magnum sheet metal use the 8.7 Liter engine. I'm not sure if that is an IH engine or not, but it would be a lot closer to the truth that having the 466 under the hood. It won't happen because of the electronics, but it's an idea. The older sheet metal looks better anyway. I guess they all use new tin because it's easier to fit all the turbo plumbing and such under the hood.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,645, Posts: 229,712, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,904.

Our newest member JD_8520