Speed Limit May 15, 2011 09:38AM
We run a class with a speed limit on it and was wondering what to put on my tractor to monitor my speed. Thanks for any help that the pullers out there could give.

Re: Speed Limit May 15, 2011 01:14PM
I guess it sounds like, just find a gps that is good down to a tenth. most guys use that for planting even, just make sure it has an off road feature

Re: Speed Limit May 15, 2011 01:36PM
Know some guys that have taken dickey-john radars and mounted them on their tractors, less delay on a reading from what I understand.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Speed Limit May 16, 2011 02:51PM
I have 2 setups that we had on speed limit tractors we got from ag tronics. I would be interested in selling one of them. If you are interested give me a call 812 820 6488

Re: Speed Limit May 16, 2011 07:42PM
How about a speedometer?Grinning

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 12:07AM
He needs ground speed not wheel speed and a spedometer will give him wheel speed

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 03:12AM
Speed Limit sounds like pulling for sissy's.

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 03:58AM
Speed limit pulling is more like a chess match than anything, and I sure as heck don't see any sissies doing it. You take away momentum like you have in a class without a speed limit and it makes every part of the equation (gear, balance, track reading,etc) that much more critical. Of course, what do I know, I've only seen about 2500 hooks this winter of this stuff Spinning

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 04:03AM
Still doesn't make it fun to watch...and two, isn't tractor pulling about who can do everything that should be included in mechanics better? The speed limits were put in place to make sure that someone who spends 35K on a motor alone would be "competitive" with someone who didn't spend anything...I have news for all of you, it still doesn't level any playing field that can be manipulated by a big bank account, it just makes it more annoying (the horn) and slower.

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 04:22AM
Still Sucks:

You have caught me in a good mood this morning! First of all, what youre not getting is that speed, tire cut/size, and rpm are the great equalizers here, how much money you spend to operate in those parameters is entirely up to the puller. Yes $ can come into play, but from my vantage point, it whats you do with what you have! Some folks don't have the deep pockets to run hotter stuff and they have every right to hook to a sled in some form or fashion and be competitive with it. I have seen too many good tractors and drivers this winter to not defend this aspect of the sport and I truly enjoy it all from a barnyard class to a 5 engine mod. My advice is this: when approaching a speed limit pull, either turn and run in the opposite direction, or come PARTICIPATE and spend time with those who do it. I go to pulls now 90% for the fellowship and friendship and 10% for the pulling, and I am far happier in my enjoyment of the sport now than I have ever been in the past because of that.

PS I had your attitude a long time ago, until I heard the sound of an 88 Oliver singing and the cackle of a UB Moline. I figured out that there's a place for everyone in this sport, and thats why I support and promote it like I do now Spinning

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 05:01AM
Brian,

I think that we are trying to make the same point here, just utilizing different modus oporandi...I agree that farm stock pulls should be more about farm tractors than who has the biggest wallet. But farm tractors never came with cut tires or 3-inch turbos and electric supply pumps, or water/meth/N2O injection systems. My only conjecture here is that speed limits don't necessarily limit anything other than just that. Agreed that someone with a 35K motor who knows nothing about pulling will probably get beat by a veteran of the sport in some instances, however, all else held constant, you are still not limiting anything with a MPH limit other than the speed. Not saying that your opinion is wrong, just doesn't seem as fun to watch someone chase a particular ground speed around with a throttle for 300+ feet (or 100 or 50 for that matter)...you are also correct that pulling should be 90% fun/friends/family, and 10% competition value.

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 07:14AM
I didnt mean to come off as condescending or a smart---. It just seemed that the idea of the speed limit puller be it a antique or farm stock was being smeared. My thought is this: Speed limit pulling, matched with rpm and tire limits, is a means to level the playing field. Let me give the scenario as it plays out: The Butch Wood Memorial 7250 King of the Hill class at Tunica, MS has a speed limit and at that weight you let a lot of tractors in....Big Molines with the HD800 as the powerplant, Big two-cylinder JD's, IH's of all kinds, etc. The last two years have been won by M Farmalls, very well-funded and executed M's of course, but not the highest hp tractors in the class. My observation is that some of the higher hp tractors in the lower mph classes are much more apt to blow the horn and are much harder to keep reined in. Get above a 12 mph limit, the world changes and hp (which could also be read as $$$) becomes an issue. The fun in these classes is the participation in the class and the bull session before and after. I keep thinking analogy is golf, where you watch the professionals and participate yourself as an amateur. However thats an unfair comparison to the speed limit pullers,at it implies that what they do is not as impressive as the NTPA/PPL/Outlaw pullers, and that is simply not the case. There are some brain cells at work in speed limit pulling that I don't even claim to have, and it's that what I call "intellectual capital" that is just as critical as anything to be a success in that realm of the sport.

With no speed limits in antiques it depends on what the rules are. With the liberal USAP-style rules you'll see a broad brush-stroke of tractors that run open. The Olivers and Molines can be pretty brutal because of the ability to swap parts pretty easily, with the 320 Waukesha as the motor of choice in Olivers and those HD 800 jugs placed on U and 5-star crankcases. Farmall 460's and 560's with a Red Diamond or a 400 series motor are becoming more common and are asserting themselves. L and 600 model Cases are players. NATPA rules are more stringent and the methods of modification are different as such and makes some brands more dominant than others. I don't see a whole bunch of open rpm antiques, but I am always impressed with the tractors that show up in the N/A classes at Dekalb and Gordyville. Ed and Scott Shoobridge's Farmall is very potent, and any of those big cube moline concoctions like those out of the Ron Shipman stable are a treat to watch, and these are just a couple of examples.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 11:25AM
The Middle Tennessee Tractor Pullers post ground speeds with their winning distances---90 percent of pulls are won by the highest ground speed----a speed limit controls not the turbo, the tires, the bottle or rpms, but the ability of the driver to get his power to the track, within the allowed speed, when, compared to 200 to 300 hp farm tractors, you bring in a 400 to 600 hp ih or jd, they, to utilize their power, have to run 200 ft at half throttle, and increase rpm, as tire slippage allows them to increase time speed up to the 20 mph range, while the sled does not exceed the allowable ground speed. You put 25 tractors in a class at 8 mph, and there will be at least 50 feet between 1st and last, not all finishing the same place at an 8 mph sled speed---been proved at Lanesville, Indiana many times!!! Also, Lanesville, in the past, did not allow aftermarket ground speed indicators on the tractors, only on the sled! I've never seen a 10-12mph class, but that sounds like a good speed for an open farm class--most super farms, hot farms and llss's would love to consistently run 25 mph down the track, with a professional level (sanction) tractor.

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 01:03PM
artwooden
The Middle Tennessee Tractor Pullers post ground speeds with their winning distances---90 percent of pulls are won by the highest ground speed----a speed limit controls not the turbo, the tires, the bottle or rpms, but the ability of the driver to get his power to the track, within the allowed speed, when, compared to 200 to 300 hp farm tractors, you bring in a 400 to 600 hp ih or jd, they, to utilize their power, have to run 200 ft at half throttle, and increase rpm, as tire slippage allows them to increase time speed up to the 20 mph range, while the sled does not exceed the allowable ground speed. You put 25 tractors in a class at 8 mph, and there will be at least 50 feet between 1st and last, not all finishing the same place at an 8 mph sled speed---been proved at Lanesville, Indiana many times!!! Also, Lanesville, in the past, did not allow aftermarket ground speed indicators on the tractors, only on the sled! I've never seen a 10-12mph class, but that sounds like a good speed for an open farm class--most super farms, hot farms and llss's would love to consistently run 25 mph down the track, with a professional level (sanction) tractor.

That is literally imposible to have speed controling anything related to power production or traction. Speed limits only limit speed, turbochargers limit power. I will guarentee you 10 times out of 10 a 600hp tractor, be it at 8mph or 18 is going to beat a 300hp tractor. It's pretty simple physics.

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 02:09PM
Youre forgetting the amount of horsepower between the ears of the driver. A novice driver in a speed limit class on the highest hp tractor will find it hard to get first place, and Im talking 8mph and below. The best drivers with the highest hp tractor, even they hear the horn from time to time. YES, all things being equal, that being driver, balance, track position, tires, etc, and the only variable is hp, more hp will emerge on top.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: Speed Limit May 18, 2011 05:42AM
Obviously, based on physics, at any requred ground speed, 8 or 12 mph, Vories Unlimited would dominate farm tractors at 13500---but in reality, I don't think he could start the sled, without a horn going off!! You know, there are places there are a minimum ground speed, because 1066's and 4430's were tired of getting beat by boaring 830 jd's in low gear----how you are functioning traction in a base formula can be readily disproved by pulling at any level. I never stated speed limits limited hp, just makes hp to the ground a challenge for high powered units, when you running a 1 to 2 horsepower per cubic inch tractor. On a rock hard track, power will dominate, on most normal pulling surfaces, or a track dug up by dual wheel tractors or 4 w d trucks, the more the speed limit neutralizes the field. There's a little girl at Laneville who drives a 4440 cab tractor that has whipped a number of red and greeen tractors with two and three times her horsepower, at 8 mph, and 13500. I've pulled the class, not my keyboard, with a 619 BB deere and I didn't win, and while pulling the tractor I was beaten by both stronger tractors, and weaker tractors (one an MF 399 at 12000, with my tractor in 7th gear and his in 4th or 5th - LOL), with better drivers! I believe I could have got him at 15000!!!

Re: Speed Limit May 18, 2011 06:26AM
I understand the argument for speed limits. However, it seems to me that instead of creaitng equality in a class, the implied reason for a speed limit as I understand everyone's argument, it merely creates another variable to deal with that isn't tractor pulling in its purest form. There are no speed limits in the field. The fact that you got beat by some other tractor has nothing to do with speed or the limitation thereof. It is indicative of your inferior setup to the other tractor. The other tractor, if it had the same power (say 350hp for argument's sake) would beat you at any speed because his setup is obviously better. Speed may be the arbitrary limiting circumstance, but you can mitigate advantages by the machines in many other ways that would be more conducive to spectator pleasure than 8mph speed limits and blarring horns. Now I am sure that many physical laws along with that of diminishing returns play a part here, but, I am simply stating that all speed limits do is make people who didn't spend a bunch of money on a machine feel that they have a fighting shot because they do indeed win some of these speed limit pulls. However, it's not limiting anything other than the efficientcy of Goliath's advantages to David. Not that I'm questioning your intelligence or anyone elses, but it doesn't take a stroke of brilliance to make big power and entertain the ability, or have the capacity, to run fast down the track and win but instead a good deal of money in most instances. I still feel that tractor pulls were a contest in ability to pull an implement through a field. That's what this is, a who can pull the biggest plow the fastest proving grounds.

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 05:08AM
bryan
you would proably know.
while we are talking about speed limit classes
how does that apply to antique tractor pulling.
as you mentioned oliver 88 and a moline ub
i kinda had the idea speed limits were placed to slow those two brand down.
do they dominate with no speed limits?

thanks
michael keith moore

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 08:07AM
last year speed limits were run around here 8mph na85-9500, 12mph 12500-17500 farm may not be the right speeds but does even it up. 1066 stock pump turned up,3000rpm,20.8x38,was 12mph at start7-8 at end or less depends on track. 4020s 8 or alittle more at start 4-5 at end

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 08:12AM
That doesn't sound like it evened anything up at all. Sounds like those tractors would have both been in the same position as they were without any speed limit.

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 08:55AM
Watcher
That doesn't sound like it evened anything up at all. Sounds like those tractors would have both been in the same position as they were without any speed limit.
That's exactly right.

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 09:28AM
Still Sucks
Still doesn't make it fun to watch...and two, isn't tractor pulling about who can do everything that should be included in mechanics better? The speed limits were put in place to make sure that someone who spends 35K on a motor alone would be "competitive" with someone who didn't spend anything...I have news for all of you, it still doesn't level any playing field that can be manipulated by a big bank account, it just makes it more annoying (the horn) and slower.

10 mph works great in my area...Fun to watch and theres no need to spend big money on your puller as its a waste..Lots of us couldnt afford to pull if it werent for the speed limit....We have classes for those that want to go faster..

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 10:47PM
Real simple and inexpensive,mount a bicycle tire on an arm that you can crank up and down from the seat and put a speedo on that.I know a guy that has this setup on an antique puller and he says it works quite well.Speed limits don't really level the playing field,look at the antique pullers.One example,I built a motor for a Farmall M that was 500plus cubic inches and made over 200 hp at 20% over stock rpms,that's 1950rpms.It pulled in4500 lb class up through 7500 and it would blow the horn in all of them.

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 10:59AM
A buddy and I just fixed up a Case to run in the 12000 farm stock. There's a 5mph limit around here that we're planning on running in, but there's also a no speed limit class that's also called "farm stock". Those tractors run more like super farms. Nobody could start out new and jump right into a class like that. You need to have some place for people to start out.

Re: Speed Limit May 17, 2011 11:13AM
OR, you could not have any farm stock tractor running that fast! All about limits my friend.

Re: Speed Limit May 18, 2011 12:55PM
when local farm pullers go out and collect donations for prize money from local bussineses it evens it up some so (example) a 600 ci big charger,belt driven supply pump, 15 mm pump tractor dont show up go 15 - 20 mph win by 50 ft take price money out of state

Re: Speed Limit May 18, 2011 01:00PM
what an idiot

Re: Speed Limit May 20, 2011 03:20AM
If you are a true fan of pulling and not just there to see smoke shoot to sky and watch dirt fly from hopped up 1066s and JDs with 466s, you can enjoy the action of speed limit pulling. Even if it's 10 mph, it doesn't take long to travel 300 feet. Feathering the throttle in three gears too high doesn't work because you break traction easier. Usually the ones that do the best are the ones that stick it in a gear that will break the limit at full throttle, but at 75% throttle can stay under, that way the engine is in it's power band most of the time. By the end of the run, with the tires spinning but still chewing, the engine is wide open.

As for the sled, having the pan drop negates any speed limit. It's now a drag race at 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 mph. Save that pan drop for the open classes. Drop the pan at the beginning for the speed classes, within 75-100 feet. Then as the going gets tough, you get more of that "plowing simulation" with the tires spinning and the sled creeping along. Whoever can keep moving at that pace at the end of the run usually has the correct weight placement, chassis, tire pressure, power, etc and should fare well in the class.

Pulling at this level also puts just as much importance on reading the track. Even more so if you have a track and sled as mentioned above. There are tracks that have "mountains" at half to 3/4 track from the pan dropping. Ideally, this would be taken care of by the scraper and roller but it never happens, even at Bowling Green, OH in 2010. There was a massive dip at 225' during the Friday night session on the north track, which caused a few wild rides for the SSD class. Anyway, you have to know how to attack the "mountain" and get over it. Although there are plenty of variables in all pulling, in speed limit you need to get nearly all of them right to even think about winning.

As for the why so many places institute a speed limit, it's because nobody wants to get tech. checked and nobody wants to be the one inspecting tractors for violations. No one is truly farm stock anymore, but with the speed limit, the first timer and the guys that just come out for the fairs have a much better shot at placing than if it was a no-holds barred, open speed farm stock class. But just like any form of pulling, the ones that know their machine, the track, the sled and have experience are the ones at the front of the pack.

Check This Out May 17, 2011 09:16AM

Heres the best way...The group I pull with bought a scoreboard that shows the mph and distance the entire length of the track...Heres the winning pull in the 4750 lb 10 mph class...Its a 6000 Ford that ran 9.7 mph and pulled 306.75.

Re: Speed Limit May 18, 2011 01:34PM
I just use my Garmin.

Re: Speed Limit May 18, 2011 10:02PM
Having pulled in speed and non speed clases I will say that a speed limit does help but a better way to even things up is the sled setup. These sled operators have found that it is easier to let the sled start easy then drop the pan at x
amount of feet. This is strictly set up for speed pulling!!! I understand that putting weight in and out of the box can be a pain in the rear but I think they have become a bit lazy!! We used to compete against H3 tractors running h2 and if I had my weight right I could pull the TA and continue on another 100' if I was hooked to the track!! Now I have 200 horses more than I did then and even in the speed class if it is 10mph you better be capable of running wheel speed of 12+ or you will not win!! There are a few exceptions but when the pan drops it is all over in a matter of a few feet!!! Pan drops ,smoke flies ,front end up, wheels spin , done!! Has taken a lot of the strategy out of pulling that is for sure. But what do you do?

Re: Speed Limit May 19, 2011 03:29AM
I think you're referring to the pushdown, but you're right about how its set up. no need to use the push down for a mph class unless they're just so heavy you can't stop them. put weights in the box, drop the pan early, and let them use skill and setup to drag it the remaining 150-200 ft.

Re: Speed Limit May 19, 2011 04:47AM
x2 on the last two posts! I agree 100%!

Re: Speed Limit May 19, 2011 08:47AM
I can't agree more with Close and bleedinred. When asked if the sled operator can change the settings so it won't drop all of a sudden, he blames everyone being stopped within 12 inches on the "big hole in the track." The only reason that hole is there is because that's where he dropped the pan on everyone.

Re: Speed Limit May 19, 2011 09:37AM
10 m.p.h. Tractor was 1 of 6 to full pull , Looks like the pan dropped around the 200 ft. mark.
We ended up in 6 th. place

video: [youtu.be]

Re: Speed Limit May 19, 2011 11:01AM
Your right you did drag the sled after the pan dropped but notice when the pan dropped the box is all but topped out. Once the box is topped if your weight is right the only thing to stop you is the dirt piling in front of the pan!! What is typical around here is the pan drops when the box is half to three quarters up!! Trust me when I say that when this happens whoever is going the fastest goes the fartherest!! Had it both ways many times but unfortunately the trend seems to be drop the pan. If you watch there is hardly any weight moved in and out of the sled box. this used to happen between every other class at least!! I realize that you are prob. not gonna stop a profarm this way but stopping 300-400 horse tractors at 240' is a bit much. just my .02

Re: Speed Limit May 20, 2011 01:57AM
Sled operators do an amazing job of being pretty close most of the time, but sometimes they do miss their guess on settings. If that many tractors full pulled, they should have floated the finish line or had the sled a little heavier to begin with. If it were a missed guess, I'll bet he doesn't let six of you out next time you hook that sled. Winking I've also seen that done on purpose before, if say the class is a little short of tractors, or sometimes just to add a little more intrigue to the show. Just another thought, would it have been better or made anyone happier if he had set the sled for speed pulling and stopped all of you in the same place?

Re: Speed Limit May 20, 2011 10:29AM
The track was one of the best track's we were on all year , 26 + tractors in the class Yes he might have missed it, but how many tracks are this good for you'r tractor to hook up ?

Re: Speed Limit May 21, 2011 02:14AM
With a field that big on one of the best tracks you had all year, I'd say six in the pulloff is pretty good and that the sled setting had to be pretty close. We hook the same sled fairly often, so the operator knows our tractors and how to set up for them, but at one show last year he was taking it a little easier on us because the track was junk out to about 295' and most of the class did not get out. The first tractor that got a little farther than that ended up going like 360' and there was one or two more that did it too. His sled setting was right on, but who could have known that the track was THAT much better from 295' on?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,752, Posts: 229,904, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,090, Posts: 226,006.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM