Thumbs UpThumbs DownMy Opinion---The NTPA's Pay per View--- May 20, 2011 04:00PM
Just got done [sort of] watching the NTPA’s first ever Pay per View, overall I was pleased to be able to see pulling live from the comfort of my home.

First off it’s very easy and quick to log on and get the site up and running, very user friendly. I thought the camera angle was good with a nice clear view of the vehicles coming down the track. It was nice to be able to hear the track announcer giving distances and general pulling information, however I would like to see the NTPA do their own announcing to provide more info than can be picked up from the track announcer. I also cannot understand why the audio portion keeps going on and off even when the camera is on the track, kind of disconcerting to see a view of the track and dead silence. You can hear the announcer when you can’t see the track and vice versa. I hear a tractor I just can’t see it. It’s odd that the picture goes away and the sound comes on…..SHOW ME THE VEHICLE,,,I HEAR IT! I guess I just figured it out, one camera has sound and one does not. Do not use the camera that does not have sound!

At times I felt like I was watching a nonstop banner ad commercial with a little bit of tractor pulling thrown in. However as the pull went on the emphasis was more on the vehicles on the track and less on running the banner ads. Did the NTPA feel that they needed to run all the ads in the first hour of the show? I did like the replay of every vehicle that hooked. The crawler for giving distances running at the bottom of the screen needs work.

With the NTPA’s ever changing, new and improved “fullpull” rule, flashing the “fullpull” banner after anyone went past 300” was very confusing.

What I would like to see; the pulling action on the track has to be the paramount part of the show. I under stand the NTPA wants/needs to make money off these broadcasts, however a more balanced approach between advertisers and paying fans needs to be taken. I want to feel like I’m at a pull, that means showing the vehicles being backed to the sled, scrapper and pullback tractors, crowd, tractors being pulled off the track, not a 10 second run down the track.

Last but not least how many Whooper Pies did that horse eat, I must have seen that promo 50 times and last, last but not least, least I watched them smash, bash, drowned, crush the “Badass Camera” but I never saw them use it after they beat the stuffing out of it! Did it still work?

Will I do it again, yes! Overall I was very pleased that I watched the first ever NTPA Pay per View live broadcast. Like all new things there’s always room for improvement and for a first time endeavor it went well. I would encourage anyone to give it a try; I got to watch some real good pulling. However It’s 12 midnight and I’m going to bed,,,,I wish pulling would figure out that families want to be in the car by 10 pm, not 1 am, but that’s a different story.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 04:01PM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Thumbs UpThumbs DownMy Opinion---The NTPA's Pay per View--- May 21, 2011 02:04AM
I haven't tried to watch the show on my speed-of-molasses internet connection, but in general my opinion is that if you're going to pay to use a service, any advertisement you are exposed to should be VERY unobtrusive.

Now if it were free to view, you do have to pay for it somehow, so an onslaught of ads is to be expected. You should get what you pay for. If you go spend $10 at the movies you will see 5-6 ads at the beginning of the show, and then they will knock it off and let you enjoy what you've paid to see.

Re: Thumbs UpThumbs DownMy Opinion---The NTPA's Pay per View--- May 21, 2011 02:07AM
I agree on a couple of the things you mentioned Uncle Dick. I am for seeing the vehicles more and less time on a screen I have read 10 times while I hear the vehicle moving around on the track. The advertising is a good deal for those who choose to get their info on the broadcast. I was very pleased with the quality of the streaming. No interuptions here during the event. For their first time, I give them an A. I would have rather been there but that is a 6+ hour drive, when I can sit in the comforts of home. I did want to reach for the camera and tripod on a couple occasions during the broadcast, lol. When you hear the engines come up in rpm, it is nature for me to get ready to film Smiling

J R
Eastern Extreme Pulling
www.easternextremepulling.com
EEPPULLINGVIDEOS

Pro Pulling Magazine
Hook Magazine

Re: Thumbs UpThumbs DownMy Opinion---The NTPA's Pay per View--- May 21, 2011 03:10AM
Just an odd question... is it only a pay per night?? Is there an option to pay for a "Season Pass"? or at least for an entire event??
I'll have to give it try soon... especially when it gets around the the big events...
Bryan

Re: Thumbs UpThumbs DownMy Opinion---The NTPA's Pay per View--- May 21, 2011 04:32AM
This is a great idea whose time has come, and I applaud the NTPA for stepping forward in this respect. BUT, it does need some tweaking, and much of what Dick said was correct. I encourage the NTPA to find someone to provide some commentary, realizing that finding someone that is able to continuously talk for five hours straight about pullers/pulling/plug sponsors/pulling/you get the picture is already employed at a pull somewhere else, but thats not to say it can't be done. The ads were a little overbearing, as I found myself minimizing the screen until I heard a vehicle's rpms start to rise after seeing the ads repeat two or three times. Again, it needs some tweaking but they'll get it figured out, they're already a step ahead of the pack.

PS-Dick I am going to ship you some Whoopie Pies. If you haven't noticed by looking at me I am devoted follower!

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Thumbs UpThumbs DownMy Opinion---The NTPA's Pay per View--- May 21, 2011 05:06AM
The show was fairly well done, especially for a first time. My only complaint would be, I came in late and it would have been helpful to know what had already pulled and what was left to watch. I am glad I bought the ticket last night got to see twd, hvyss, and mods by then it was midnight and I gave up the ghost. One other thing a rundown of the nights classes if not but a screen shot of the placings would be nice. I thought the interviews with the winners was a nice touch just couldn't hear much of the content. B would be my grade, certainly worthwhile but with a few tweeks even better. Good job by Ntpa.

Re: Thumbs UpThumbs DownMy Opinion---The NTPA's Pay per View--- May 21, 2011 01:09PM
I have the same concern as ol George, I just got a chance to sit down and watch the streaming and a couple classes have already run. Do I spend the money for 2-3 classes that are left, or do I wait for the results tomorrow. I would like to see the NTPA tape each class and during some of the down time rerun the classes for anyone that may have missed them. It would also help with the show quality. Watching a class that has already run is better than watching the same banner ad over and over. If they do a pull that is running 2 tracks what will my dollars get me?

Still a good bang for your buck!

Re: Thumbs UpThumbs DownMy Opinion---The NTPA's Pay per View--- May 21, 2011 12:36PM
That person would have to be there, too. It'd be very hard to jam for 5 hours remote. There's so much detail and information you can't get from just commenting about what's on-screen. My $0.02...

Re: Thumbs UpThumbs DownMy Opinion---The NTPA's Pay per View--- May 21, 2011 08:35AM
as a promoter i would like to know what the Pinetops' promoters got out of this. i did not watch the presentation and i commend NTPA for stepping up to try something new. but when the promoters need every seat filled in order to make money on the pull, this process on the web can and will keep folks home and thus reduce the revenue stream. hopefully the many sponsors also helped to reduce the cost of the pull to the folks at Pinetops.

Re: Thumbs UpThumbs DownMy Opinion---The NTPA's Pay per View--- May 21, 2011 04:38PM
So how can I test my internet speed before I buy and what does each show cost

Re: Thumbs UpThumbs DownMy Opinion---The NTPA's Pay per View--- May 21, 2011 05:01PM
Okay I found how to test my internet speed. It says I need 1000kps and I only have 609 now what thanks

Re: Thumbs UpThumbs DownMy Opinion---The NTPA's Pay per View--- May 21, 2011 05:42PM
Gary the closest I can relate your situation to is kind of like a stock Farmall M competing in a class of prostocks. They both get down the track but one goes really fast and the other chugs along slow & steady.

All kidding aside it just means your viewing wont be as clean to watch and probably a little jerky with some delays. For $10 it is probably worth giving it a try. Grab a beer, get some friends, and munchies and enjoy.

DPS

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,643, Posts: 229,709, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520