Screwing Firestone Tires May 30, 2011 01:00PM
Just wondering if anyone has had problems screwing 20.8 38 Radial All traction 23 tires???? Theres some type of band in there and ITS HARD!!!!!!!! And yes I have a really good set of drill bits I dulled 3 of them and got nowhere. Im using stainless self tappers also. Any Ideas?????

Re: Screwing Firestone Tires May 31, 2011 02:27AM
drill at a low rpm or you'll smoke the bits. and set a collar on the bit as a stop so you dont waste time drilling deaper than you need. consider drilling smallewr pilot holes first then going back and opening them up bigger on the second pass.

Re: Screwing Firestone Tires May 31, 2011 02:49AM
Maybe you need to try a different position. In other words; if you're drilling the lip of the rim as you stand and look at the rim when it's on the tractor; maybe you should try going around the corner and drill into the inner circle of the tire bead, as if you were sitting in the dish of the rim, or vice versa.

Re: Screwing Firestone Tires May 31, 2011 04:49AM
Aren't those wires hardened? If so, you ain't gonna drill through them. JW

Re: Screwing Firestone Tires May 31, 2011 07:14AM
Get rid of those stainless screws. Stainless fasteners are not good. Get some grade 8's from Bob Parks at CTC. use a punch and a bfh to open the hole in the tire. I grip a visegrip on the punch and pound like hell a few times. Then put the screw in a slow drill and push like heck going really slow. Only time I drill is to open up a small pilot in new rim. Still not fun, but works for me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2011 07:16AM by Ladell.

Re: Screwing Firestone Tires May 31, 2011 02:40PM
I think Ladell is right on the SS screws. I did a set of 24.5's on steel wheels and liked to never got that job done. I twisted of 4 or 5 screws putting them in. The SS galls to the steel and makes it VERY tough to do. Although, they do look nice when you finally get done.

Re: Screwing Firestone Tires June 01, 2011 12:40AM
punch idea is the way to go! If you don't, the screw will just sit there and spin and strip itself. Give the screw a path to follow and it'll sink right in the bead!
I use an older C/P 3/8" drive butterfly impact.
And the job sucks almost as much as sharpening tires.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,649, Posts: 229,718, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,068, Posts: 225,907.

Our newest member JD_8520