Steering help June 13, 2011 07:15AM
Looking for some advice, I'm doing a new steering system on my tractor and would like to use a rack and pinion, I'm wondering what rack everybody uses that is strong and steers somewhat easy? I have driven a few with a summit rack and can be a bear to back to sled. Also been on a tractor with old manual steering box off a chevy truck and that steered very nice, but bulky. Any advice is appreciated.

Re: Steering help June 13, 2011 07:28AM
Put a Helm pump on and run two lines to steering cylnder. racks are all hard to steer and not very strong.

Re: Steering help June 13, 2011 09:40AM
I'm not familiar with a helm pump how does it work, I'm not running any pumps or belts off front of engine now and hopeing to stay that way.we use an orbital valve and a 12v hydraulic pump on pulling truck but that's to heavy. Please tell me more about that helm pump, thanks

Re: Steering help June 13, 2011 04:29PM
I USED A HELM PUMP ON MY TRACTOR. GOT IT ON E BAY PART NO.HH5261 IT FIT IN MY 1466 WITH SOME GRINDING. IT HAS A SELF CONTAINED RES. FOR OIL AND USES 2 HYD. HOSES TO CYL OF YOUR CHOICE (I USED A STEER CYL. FROM A 430 STEINER LAWN MOWER DUE TO SMALL DIA. THE SMALLER DIA. THE FASTER U STEER. FILL WITH DEXTRON TRANS. FLUID. I WELDED ON HUB FOR STEER WHEEL. PUMP COST $390 CYL 50.00 BOTH OFF OF E BAY GOOD LUCK

Re: Steering help June 15, 2011 02:35PM
does the fluid make a difference, I have one of these systems and not too happy with it but we used hydraulic fluid, maybe thats the problem

Re: Steering help June 16, 2011 02:44AM
NOT SHURE ON THAT. I JUST USE THE TRANNY FLUID BUT I DO KNOW THAT AIR IN LINES WILL CAUSE ALOT OF PROBLEMS. SO MAKE SURE U BLEED THAT SYSTEM REAL GOOD AND AFTER YOU THINK ITS OK BLEED IT MORE.OH AND IF U LOOK UNDER PUMP WHERE FITTINGS GO IN YOU WILL SEE A ADJUSTMENT SCREW, TURN IT IN ALL THE WAY AND THAT WILL BOOST YOUR PRESSURE. HOPE THAT HELPS!

Re: Steering help June 13, 2011 01:37PM
Can you tell me what model helm pump you use or what will work good,also what cylinder did you use a specific one to the pump or will any dual action one work thanks

Re: Steering help June 13, 2011 03:16PM
Are you working on a tractor or a pickup?

Re: Steering help June 13, 2011 10:32PM
Steering on my tractor, I used the truck only as a reference to what systems I am familiar with. I really like the helm pump idea is there any draw backs to it

Re: Steering help June 16, 2011 04:50AM
Go to pobar.com site. He has a real nice nice double ended cylinder that i have used on my last two tractors. I used the hand pump off of a 706, bled it with the hydraulic system off of another tractor and had no problems.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,695, Posts: 229,802, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,958.

Our newest member CBeard