making money June 13, 2011 09:35AM
Tractor and truck pulling seems to be at an all time high with no end in sight,more tractor's,trucks,sanctioning bodies,sleds,fancy haulers,technology,parts builders,frame builders,rool cage builders,turbo suppliers,the list is endless,higher than ever fuel prices,admission cost at the gate for the fan's,the question is we are dealing with a very poor economy,the country is broke,and pulling is a very expensive hobby,even with the small amount of sponsor dollars coming into this sport,are their any pullers making making money pulling.

Re: making money June 13, 2011 10:45AM
Farmers are making money hand over fist these days. I don't need to hear why or they earned it. That is not here nor there at this point. They have lots of money now. Always seem to have lots, just lots more now. Just think about it. A puller spends way more on the weekend for fuel to get to a pull than most people make in a week. Over history in bad times farmers do well. Remeber $14 beans in the fall of 1979. That was like $12 profit. Interest rates were 16%. Everybody spent farming like crazy and things went down soon after.

Re: making money June 13, 2011 11:26AM
Good thing the GOVERNMENT kicks some in to keep the farmer\ pullers active ; spend more on the machine , write it off , then cry about no money ??? Makes sence to me

Re: making money June 13, 2011 11:36AM
There should be safety nets for farmers when they need it. Not when they don't. Just like unemployment insurnace for works when they need it. Farmers are not special or any less special than anyone else. Are far as writing of hobbies either everybody should be able to or nobody should be able to. It is one of those no good gray areas where people cheat the system.

Re: making money June 13, 2011 12:47PM
you have no idea how high the seed costs are and fertilizer prices! you just look at the price per bushel call your local co-op and ask for some prices then you see!

Re: making money June 13, 2011 12:47PM
Dear "Making Money" Author,
Sir I want to commend you first of all on your comment that stated " farmers make all kinds of money and have money to basically blow on fuel alone on tractor pulling"....I'm sure you must have done "A LOT" of research on that area of study...Exactly how many tractor pulls have you attended over the years ? And how many Farmers have you audited and/or interviewed to get such information ?
It saddens me to think that idiots like you have little or NO respect for the American Farmer or the Farming Families. I can speak for myself and my family and I'm sure many other Tractor Pulling and/ Farming Families find it offensive that you would even open your mouth on this area that you have opened. I guess its a way for the rest of us to get a good laugh at. I seldom read comments from this particular web site but when my husband read it to me I felt ready to defend for my entire family. My family works very hard to live in the world of Agriculture...We are proud and are very great full that every year we can plant & reap the an abundant harvest. My children don't always have NEW clothes or shinny toys, I clip coupons, buy at the local dollar general and Walmart, I can my own food and raise it as well, my kids work side by side of us each and every single day of the year. And some how because we work so hard we are rewarded....YES REWARDED by OUR OWN HARD WORK AND EFFORTS to be able to tractor Pull together as a family !..We don't have the finest tractor, the fanciest hauling rig, we eat lunch meat out of the cooler and are just as happy as the guy who has little or less next to us....We are family and proud of it....So the next time you go to the grocery store it maybe a good idea for you to Thank that good ol' farmer and his family for providing you with food that you will eat at your next meal.....and say thanks instead of belittling him thinking they don't have to work very hard to get what they have....MY FAMILY DESERVES TO SAVE AND TRACTOR PULL.......ID BE GLAD TO GIVE YOU REAL STATISTICS FROM USDA< FARM SERVICE AGENCY of Clark County should you want to discuss the financial end and statistics should you want THE REAL ONES.......SINCERLY, A FARMERS WIFE !

Re: making money June 13, 2011 01:17PM
People like that ignorant sob. don't deserve a reply. If there was that much money in farming why doesn't he farm instead of complaining. Because he doesn't have enough brains, that's why, besides it would be to much work for him.

Re: making money June 13, 2011 01:05PM
Are you sure that we had $14 beans in 1979..I remember it being in late 1972 and early 1973...In my area 2009 and 2010 were sure great years for farming and lots of money was made.. Averaged 170 bpa corn and 40 bpa beans in 2010 in an area where 130 and 30 is normal... This year isnt looking quite so good..

Re: making money June 13, 2011 01:21PM
Good thing we live in a free country. I always tell the people that say farmers are rich and making loads of money to jump right in the game and get their share. Most of them just say they can't afford it. I think they are afraid to put their money where their mouth (or fingers as the case may be) is. This country is always better off when the farmers are doing well!!!!

Re: making money June 13, 2011 01:47PM
for those that think farming is the easy and rich life, I don't know of too many other professions that work as hard and as many hours as the american family farmer. When there is work to be done, you won't find my family sitting in the coffee shop or going to ballgames or pulls, they do the work till its done regardless!! If they are behind because of the weather, they put in 20-hour days, 7 days a week, and they have done this for 30+ years. When you figure out the hourly rate that we actually pocket after all the expenses, it is pathetic. Not even minimum wage! Yes, we currently have nice things and go to pulls, but that has not always been the case - there were many, many years that we had old stuff (but we kept in good shape), my kids grew up in garage sale clothes and we did not go out to eat or to pulls or movies like all of our "town" friends because we couldn't afford it. We are currently explaining to our son that if he doesn't want to work nights and weekends and wants to be able to plan his holidays in advance (rather than being a last minute decision depending what the weather does), he needs to find a career other than farming. Yes, I will admit farming is currently good, but it is a cycle that will average out and the pay is hard earned pay!! You have to take the good years with the bad years and only the farmers with a good business sense and good work ethic have been able to hang in there. As my momma always taught me, "put yourself in the other person's shoes." You think farming is so wonderful and rich, what's keeping you from joining in. Where there's a will there's a way.

Re: making money June 13, 2011 01:50PM
I would say some years farmers make a good profit. Most years its break even and a bunch of debt to pay back. I really dont care how they spend there money. You shouldnt worry about it either. Thank God for all the farmers and truckers and everyone takes care of us and puts the food on our table. You deserve to have some fun.

Will Jacobson

Re: making money June 14, 2011 01:12PM
3 Foot Willie
I would say some years farmers make a good profit. Most years its break even and a bunch of debt to pay back. I really dont care how they spend there money. You shouldnt worry about it either. Thank God for all the farmers and truckers and everyone takes care of us and puts the food on our table. You deserve to have some fun.

Will Jacobson

In the past 35 years of farming theres only been one year that I didnt make money..You dont stay in business long by breaking even or losing money..The past two years have been absolutely fantastic..More than one person around here cleared $400 an acre on corn in 2010..It helps to own your ground free and clear and get 160-170 bushel yields in an area that normally goes 125...Cash rent is still reasonable here.

Re: making money June 13, 2011 01:37PM
First to Farmers Wife, THANK YOU for the description of how the farmer works hard to get what we have and the pride and also the thanks we have for being able to reap the benefits of farm and ranch life. Now, thinking like some people do that we get alot of money from the goverment (USDA), it's more like just enough to keep us going if there is a disaster or low prices or something like that so EVERYBODY can keep getting cheap food at the grocery store. As far as tractor pulling, that is a persons choice on how to spend his or her money for some of the best, clean family fun there is. What about when you go through town and you see boats and campers and nice vehicles, houses and probably a @#$%& load of payments they can barely make and then whine about it when cereal or bread or milk goes up a dime, and yet they go out to eat at a high priced place and still need the tickets to the sports event. Just remember, if there is one thing everybody needs to do and that is EAT, and you can that the farmers in the world for that, I just wish we would get thanked instead of ridiculed. Sorry I had to get that off my chest, but I think it might help a few think about it. Darin

Re: making money June 13, 2011 02:37PM
It was 79 or 80, but I think 79. I bought a 80 Pontiac Bonniville with everything brand new and paid for it with 1 load of beans. It was October. I still had that car around the farm until 2004. Kids all drove it.

Re: making money June 13, 2011 02:47PM
when me and my dad were explaining to a friend that I will be studying ag business in the fall, the friend replied " did ya smack him?!" farming isnt a job, its a lifestyle and for the work that we put into it, we deserve to have a hobby like pulling. city folks have their BMW's and go to florida every year for 2 weeks. we all work hard 7 and a half days a week so that friday or saturday night we can load up the tractor and go do something that we love. i would say that farmers are rich. rich in heritage, rich in family, rich in unity and rich lifestyle. thats all that matters to us. we don't care about having millions in the bank. we care about making an honest living and having some fun when we can!

Re: making money June 15, 2011 04:15AM
As stated in the beginning of this blog. That is the problem with society these days poeple just assume that the food at the grocery store just gets there noone works long hours to put it there. Society is ignorant. I have been born and raised on a family farm and we have two cents, We have enough to get by but we are very practical as are most farmers and would give the shirt off of our back to the less fortunate is that person really needed it. We work DAMN hard for what we have. The top two posts in this must be democrats. TAKE TAKE TAKE from the hard working and give to the LAZY. Isnt that how it works? I am appauled at the 2 posts these people have no idea what they are talking about. yea $14.00 dollar beans are nice but $4.00 Diesel isn't.

Re: Rethink it June 13, 2011 03:08PM
I don't know for sure on what level you are talking about as far as who owns the tractors BUTalot and I mean alot of the tractors that I can think of are owned and not even opperated by people that don't even have anything to do with farming unless it's someone with his/her hand in our pocket. So unfortunately I felt the need to respond to your senseless rambling so you can get a kick out of your own self because I doubt anyone else that knows you takes you seriuos anyway!

There are all walks of life that pull do they get beat up also?

making money June 13, 2011 01:06PM
how about the dairy guys having almost 2 years of bad milk prices. the milk price was lower then it was in the late 70s month after month and now that its up we are just using it to get back outa the whole -prices never changed in the stores though, middle man is the one getting rich

Re: making money June 13, 2011 03:01PM
The one fault of farming is that for the younger generation it is very hard for them to get started....

Re: making money June 14, 2011 12:15AM
Its clear that alot of mental issues pop up here in this post ; times have changed , farming is a business , maybe a real job is in order ?

Re: making money June 14, 2011 05:34AM
I believe the fact that some farmers receive money from the government that people have a problem with. I know a Super Farm puller with a real nice tractor. A few newer trucks, nice 5th wheel camper, new snowmobiles, some pretty nice equipement, and so on. And yet since 1995 he has received over $800,000 in subsidies. I'm not saying it's not right or fair, It just makes a lot of people wonder. It would be different if it looked like he was having a tough time or struggling. But it appears he's livin life pretty good. It would be nice if every small business got government help getting by in tough times. [farm.ewg.org]

Re: making money June 14, 2011 06:53AM
Ya the thing most people forget though is if farmers go under nobody eats face it farmers feed the world, plus much more provide fuel and clothing and so on. Plus the imput cost these day's are outrageous and they go up every year and guess what in 5 months when grain prices go down imput cost don't. Point being it is necessary for goverment subsidies at times just because farmers products effect the whole world without them what do ya do?

Re: making money June 14, 2011 07:20AM
I am a puller also...Thou I am working for a fortune 500 company and also have a MBA. Well as for the 80 plus hours a week. let me tell you, I do that everyweek of the year also travel 50 % of the time away from my kids and wife. You might just be surprised there are allot of Americans doing that..I have the up most respect for Farmer as my Grandparents were Dairy Farms. But don't think for one minute you are working any harder than the rest of us. The grass is not always greener on the other side either!

Re: making money June 14, 2011 08:12AM
and how much in subsidies did you recieve??? And in 5 months when your stock crashes will you bills go down to?

Re: making money June 14, 2011 11:30AM
We can survive without alot of things we have in this world. Farmers are one of the few things that we need the most! So next time you sit down and eat a hamburger or grill a steak and even drink a cold beer You should thank a farmer! None of that would be available without them.

Re: making money June 14, 2011 11:37AM
Do farmers ever thank the guy who built the tractor so they can farm? There would be no farming with no tractors. Do you thank the people who buy your food? Do you thank the guy that built your pickup? Did you thank your kids teachers? Do you thank the guy from the coop that does your soil samples and helps you farm? If you do then that is great. Farmers are as important as everybody else. Just like everybody else farmers do it for a paycheck.

Re: making money June 14, 2011 12:01PM
correction....there would be farming without tractors and oil and fuel just like there was a century ago or more, but it would be very hard to feed the world without todays technology and I cannot imagine going back to picking corn by hand like my grandpa did. this whole country is spoiled with modern ways of life. no more out houses, riding the horse to country school, milking cows by hand, making your own soap, bathing in a tub hand filled from a barrel that catches rain water from the roof, not to mention...Toilet paper ! I wonder if red, pink or white would be the cob of choice? why doesn't someone start on Prince William ? Did Kate really marry him for love and affection ? because he is a real man ? got every penny by the sweat of his brow ? bottom line is do the best you can with what you got and don't worry about everybody elses life just strive to make your own better. P.S. I hope the prince got his wedding suit back to Captain Crunch in good condition.

Re: Pulling forum June 14, 2011 01:24PM
I grew up working for farmers my family and non family. I love tractors and farmers but I do not farm but I do tractor pull ! And I wish we would stick to talking about tractors pickups lawn tractors etc I don't get on here and talk about working on Mack trucks and how much better farmers have it. Everyone out there has problems and I would much rather see more topics about engines transmission and builders than the price of corn or beans go find a forum were you can complain about farmers or farming I'm sure they are out there !

Re: making money June 14, 2011 01:27PM
The question on this post is anybody getting to the level even with sponsor dollars that they are earning a living from pulling,such as nascar,nhra,world of outlaws,perhaps it is not just pulling their vehicle down the track,maybe their profession is engine building for pullers.

Re: making money June 14, 2011 02:04PM
The first post should not have gotten any response. I am 62 years young. I grew up on a farm. Worked for farmers. Worked at a John Deere dealer ship. And I worked for the government. I have seen both sides. The early 80's were not good. Many farmers, in my area went under, lost family farms. This is the 21 century, things change. Don't be jealous of the other guy, just because YOU think he or she has more than YOU think he or she should have. As long as your head is above water, and you have your health, be thank full for that. I have a sister with MS. All the money in the world will not cure her. Be happy with what you have. Not what the other guy has. I will end it with that. Dean

Re: making money June 14, 2011 02:04PM
The first post should not have gotten any response. I am 62 years young. I grew up on a farm. Worked for farmers. Worked at a John Deere dealer ship. And I worked for the government. I have seen both sides. The early 80's were not good. Many farmers, in my area went under, lost family farms. This is the 21 century, things change. Don't be jealous of the other guy, just because YOU think he or she has more than YOU think he or she should have. As long as your head is above water, and you have your health, be thank full for that. I have a sister with MS. All the money in the world will not cure her. Be happy with what you have. Not what the other guy has. I will end it with that. Dean

Re: making money June 14, 2011 02:48PM
I apologize for my other post for bashing "town" people, my mistake. I know we need eachother with whatever kind of jobs or businesses we have. I guess I just have a problem when people start in on the freebies that farmers get, if you don't know or understand it, please don't start something. I know there are hundreds of other jobs or businesses that I don't know about, so I try not to tell how it is. Sorry for adding fuel to the fire earlier. Darin

Re: making money June 15, 2011 12:34AM
I have grown up with and have many friends that are farmers, love living in the country and have nothing against farmers. However it's hard to feel sorry for them when they have several new trucks, new snowmobiles, new atv's, new Harley’s, boats, campers, etc... And to add to the post above, have you ever heard a farmer thank every other tax payer that helped fund that government subsidy that they collect on every year? Oh, and I’m a third generation puller, just sayin…

Re: making money June 15, 2011 01:01AM
Farmers that are pullers. Do you claim your pulling equipment as a tax deduction under farm expense? Just curious!

Re: making money June 15, 2011 04:31AM
noone answered my question. How many of the sub dollars go to pulling that you receive? or goverment $ go to pulling in the end..

Re: making money June 15, 2011 01:35AM
Government needs an overhaul that is for sure, but don't just think it is farmers benefiting. Look at your own tax return once and it is filled with "subsidies". You have kids you get a child tax credit and dependent care credit or deduction. You don't make enough money, you get an earned income credit. You buy a new house and the government gave you a credit. Many situation end up with zero tax liablilty and the taxpayer getting a refund of 5-10k for all of there refundable credits. At least a farmers subsidies are meant to help keep our food prices resulting in everybody benefiting (if you eat or drink that is). Just saying if you want to knock the farmer, take a look in the mirror because in some way you are benefiting from government "subsidies".

Re: making money June 15, 2011 01:59AM
I am not knocking the farmer, but one question. Aren't the farmers entitled to all of those same subsidies that you mentioned, and in addition the previous farm only ones? I would love to get subsidies for my engine building buisiness (second job) but the government just laughs with their hand out when things are bad for me... Why do you think that doctors, lawyers, vets, ect all have "farms"?

Re: making money June 15, 2011 02:14AM
Yes farmers are entitled to those credits. As far as the doctors, lawyers, actors, atheletes receiving these subsidies - all government programs and taxes have loopholes. These individuals should be required to be active participants on the farm in my belief. On the other hand they should not be descriminated against just because they have other successful careers.

Re: making money June 15, 2011 02:27AM
I wasn't going to jump in this debate, but it irritates the hell out of me when people with 9 to 5 jobs and a steady paycheck feel the need to mouth farmers. How would you like to HAVE to go to Vegas every year and roll the dice on your ENTIRE income for the year to see if you even get to keep it, much less increase it. Because that's what farming is, a huge gamble against mother nature and wall street speculators.

Re: making money June 15, 2011 02:39AM
Isn't every business a roll of the dice? You don't think ALL business markets change? What about people that run construction companies, you don't think their business is effected by the weather? I don't see a government program setup for them on bad years. Why do you feel it is required for the government to guarantee you turn a profit every year? Small businesses go under all the time, but nobody cries for them. Sorry to sound down on farming but it's the facts.

Re: making money June 15, 2011 02:46AM
I don't feel it's required for the government, and we don't turn a profit every year. You think every farmer out there is just sittin on their ass taking government handouts??

Re: making money June 15, 2011 02:56AM
That's not what I said, and I know for a fact that NO farmer is sitting on their a$$ taking handouts. But you don't think other people get irritated when they have their own business, they work 7 days a week 12 hours a day, they have trouble making ends meet because of things beyond their control, and the government says tough luck for you! Just saying the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Re: making money June 15, 2011 03:20AM
Another Puller. Why dont you start up a farming operation? Sounds to me like you need to so you can get on easy street like all the other farmers are. My family farms and I chose not to due to I dont want to work 7 days a week and I like to be free to do or go anything I want or anyplace i want any time I want. You cant due that on most farms. I am not a fan of goverment hand outs but I understand farm subs for the following reasons. Yes farmers feed the world and to me that is very important. If a farmer goes under 9 out of ten times his land is purchased buy a non farm industry and that land is gone from farming forever. Yes the goverment needs to completly restructure there intitlement programs. We do not want to have to rely on foriegn food in the usa. I feel one farm going under and land lost is fare more devistating than if you as an engine builder goes under you are a dime a dozen. almost anyone can build an engine why dont you try farming now that takes guts and brains and you will get all those gov-handouts to boot. I would love to met you buddy and shake your hand, you sound like a real standup person. And please if you just cant stand being left out just try to start a farm and then you will see why its so important to keep established farms in place when the bank shows you the door.

Re: making money June 15, 2011 03:34AM
Actually, I'm an engineer, and engine builder (championship winning, not quite a dime a dozen), and a startup farmer, so I don't want to here your whining. I have been involved in other family run business, and started my own. You think it's soo easy and brainless building engines, you should give it a try... You think my position as a structural engineer is soo simple and mindless you should give that a try... You think you are so GD smart, your clueless... This was a friendly debate that had merit on both sides. It just really bothers me that you think you are the only ones that have their bottom line effected by the weather, what a joke.

Re: making money June 15, 2011 05:10AM
All of you libs out there don't seem to mind all the handouts you give to people that have no initiative at all and have no intentions of going out and finding a job or starting up a business. To my notion, THEY'RE the people you should be ragging on. In my opinion, ENTITLEMENTS (as everyone refers to them as being) should be a voluntary thing you do at tax time. There's a line on the tax form for charity. All of you libs out there that want to hand over most of your hard earned cash to those who are lazy, worthless, drug taking, pot smoking, leaches of society.............THEN, GO AHEAD AND DO IT. I, for one, don't think it's very smart to REWARD laziness and worthlessness. Ya, I know. You don't want to "HURT ANYONE'S FEELINGS". Soooo, at every competitive event, you hand out gold medals to everyone. Not a very good way to instill good work ethics. At least the farm community is contributing to the wellness of the general public and have a SIZEABLE investment in their farming operation to get the job done. The average business investment of the "PEOPLE LIVING OFF OF THE SYSTEM" is ususally the cost of what it takes to buy a store bought crack pipe.

I grew up on the farm many years ago when MOST EVERYTHING was done by hand and back breaking labor. Things have changed a lot in 50 years. That being said; I really don't like how the farm subsidies are rationed out either. If you go to most rural areas and take a look at some of the life styles of the most prominent farmers; you'll find out that they received hundreds of thousands, and in some cases, millions of dollars. Depending on how big their operation is.

These ENTITLEMENTS, be they for worthless system-milking deadbeats, or for prominent farmers, SIMPLY can't go on any longer. Ol' Bessie is JUST ABOUT dry. Her milk production is JUST ABOUT over. I'd like to take that one legged milk stool they've been sitting on all of their life, turn it over for them, and tell them sit back down to see how it feels.

Bottom line: Make the mandatory payments to the government for ENTITLEMENTS programs a voluntary thing, and just watch at how fast they will disappear. All of you whiney, jello spined, no spank libs out there can give any and or all of your money to worthless programs that reward laziness. Just don't impose your goody two shoe liberal give-away programs on me. I've had enough of your wisdom.

Re: making money June 15, 2011 05:23AM
FLIP SIDE OF THE COIN
All of you libs out there don't seem to mind all the handouts you give to people that have no initiative at all and have no intentions of going out and finding a job or starting up a business. To my notion, THEY'RE the people you should be ragging on. In my opinion, ENTITLEMENTS (as everyone refers to them as being) should be a voluntary thing you do at tax time. There's a line on the tax form for charity. All of you libs out there that want to hand over most of your hard earned cash to those who are lazy, worthless, drug taking, pot smoking, leaches of society.............THEN, GO AHEAD AND DO IT. I, for one, don't think it's very smart to REWARD laziness and worthlessness. Ya, I know. You don't want to "HURT ANYONE'S FEELINGS". Soooo, at every competitive event, you hand out gold medals to everyone. Not a very good way to instill good work ethics. At least the farm community is contributing to the wellness of the general public and have a SIZEABLE investment in their farming operation to get the job done. The average business investment of the "PEOPLE LIVING OFF OF THE SYSTEM" is ususally the cost of what it takes to buy a store bought crack pipe.

I grew up on the farm many years ago when MOST EVERYTHING was done by hand and back breaking labor. Things have changed a lot in 50 years. That being said; I really don't like how the farm subsidies are rationed out either. If you go to most rural areas and take a look at some of the life styles of the most prominent farmers; you'll find out that they received hundreds of thousands, and in some cases, millions of dollars. Depending on how big their operation is.

These ENTITLEMENTS, be they for worthless system-milking deadbeats, or for prominent farmers, SIMPLY can't go on any longer. Ol' Bessie is JUST ABOUT dry. Her milk production is JUST ABOUT over. I'd like to take that one legged milk stool they've been sitting on all of their life, turn it over for them, and tell them sit back down to see how it feels.

Bottom line: Make the mandatory payments to the government for ENTITLEMENTS programs a voluntary thing, and just watch at how fast they will disappear. All of you whiney, jello spined, no spank libs out there can give any and or all of your money to worthless programs that reward laziness. Just don't impose your goody two shoe liberal give-away programs on me. I've had enough of your wisdom.

Very true post.

Re: To:Another Puller June 15, 2011 05:37AM
I wouldn't have the slightest idea on how to be a structural engineer. But if you don't like how the system works why are you a startup farmer, need the tax deducts! The only reason they have the subs is to keep their thumb on the farmers and that is the only reason! If they(the gov) didn't dangle the carrot in front of the farmer we wouldn't do what they tell us to do wich would in effect mess with all of the traders and global knowledge that they use to make the markets. So if you don't care about the NASDAC or the Stock Market please by all means call your congressman to try and change things for the better.

Re: To:Another Puller June 15, 2011 06:08AM
The subsidies are the root of the problem... In the market economy that we live in products value are based on product demand. If we (the farmer) produce more product (corn, grain, milk, ect.) than the market needs, the price goes down. Here comes the government, when this price goes down the gov is there to make up the difference in price so someone (the farmer) doesn't get hurt (go out of business), this is nice but is messes up the whole concept of a market economy. What happens the next year? The farmer produces more of the same product (more than the year before, and even more than the market wanted the year before), then the market price drops even more (way more supply than demand) so gov steps in and subsidises even more, and the cycle goes on. This cycle needs to stop, because we ( all tax payers) can't afford the subsities. Farmers over the years have become smarter and smarter, and have better equipment which allows them to produce more and more product, and unfortunally that is what is putting them out of business.

Re: To puller j June 15, 2011 07:27AM
you are exactly right...........they just pay us a little so they can keep tabs on us so we tell them what we are raising-I for one would not certify if there was nothing to gain by doing so. so all you people that are grumpy about subsities, now you know why they are out there and I too think the welfare system needs an overhaul, quite paying baby factories to over produce another generation of welfare recipients. more people on this planet is not a good thing when the day comes that they cannot all be fed off of a housing development that used to raise 200 bu. corn.

Re: To puller j June 16, 2011 03:50AM
Now, a little bit of sense is being written. Humans are overpopulating this planet. Find a cure for every disease, prevent every car crash, stymie every drought or famine---Mother Nature has a plan for how her planet is to be habitated. Mankind messes with that plan continually. Subsidies mellows out the cycles that help to provide more steady markets. If we didn't have so many people in the world, we wouldn't need so much food. Our deficit doesn't have a lot to do with farm sibsidies ( a spit in the bucket). Attack Medicare and Medicaid and bridges to nowhere and ungodly salaries and retirement benefits to politicians.
But I am curious--how many pullers actually depend on farming for their livelihood. Jake, why don't you make a poll. I know a whole lot of pullers who are NOT farmers--what is the percentage? JW

Re: making money June 15, 2011 06:07AM
Here in W. Iowa/E.Nebr. area, I think that the organizations are growing and taking on "bigger" classes. Seems to be more pulls and fan interest is up. Several good/great years in agriculture has certainly led to more tractors built or older tractors getting upgraded.

The flip side is who pays for it all? The pullers need bigger purses and promoters are charging a larger gate to keep the bringing in state/regional level organizations. For the serious fans who occupy this board (like me), it's OK to pay $15 or $20 for a pull. But I think there is a point where the locals will be turned off by the idea of paying $12 or more even for the annual pull at the county fair.

But in any case, I am glad things are going well in agriculture and pulling.

Re: making money June 15, 2011 05:07PM
This whole thread and topic needs to go to agtalk.com in the boiler room.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,695, Posts: 229,802, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,958.

Our newest member CBeard