Explain A 2 Or 3 Stage Alky Fuel System June 20, 2011 04:49AM
I know that most of the alky burners have a 2 or 3 stage fuel system..I'm sure the first stage is for just driving it around..What makes the 2nd and 3rd stages come on..Does the 2nd stage come on after a certain rpm and the 3rd stage after so many lbs of boost...Just trying to understand it..

Re: Explain A 2 Or 3 Stage Alky Fuel System June 20, 2011 05:15AM
From Hilborn's site....

[www.hilborninjection.com]

Same thing for a 6-cylinder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2011 05:18AM by farmerboy70.

Re: Explain A 2 Or 3 Stage Alky Fuel System June 20, 2011 06:07AM
If you have trouble following the Hilborn diagram I'll try to put it into words. Basically the stages open up based upon the fuel pressure. Like you expected, the main stage is what drives the tractor around. There are spring operated poppet valves on any other stages that keep the fuel from flowing to their nozzles. Once you start winding up the engine the fuel pump pushes more & more fuel because it's a positive displacement type pump. Since the first stage nozzles are a fixed size the pressure has to go up. Also, the sensor valve responds to boost being created and increases the restriction on the return line back to tank from the metering valve which also increases the fuel system pressure. Once the pressure becomes high enought to open the poppet valve on the second stage nozzles (called the P valve in the Hilborn diagram) they begin flowing fuel too. As the pressure increases more the third stage nozzle poppet valve (which is another P valve set to open at a higher pressure than the second stage valve) also opens & all three sets of nozzles are flowing fuel.

So, if the builder desires the stages can be set up to work kind of like you suggested (first driving, second RPM's, and third boost) it's really all pressure related and not tied specifically to RPM's or boost.

Re: Explain A 2 Or 3 Stage Alky Fuel System June 20, 2011 08:15AM
I would add that the P-valve pressures are controlled by different size springs and shims which can be purchased from Hilborn Injection or Kinsler Fuel Injection. Each fuel stage has different size injection nozzles. Enderle Fuel Injection has nozzle sizes in small increments. Different size springs (pressures), nozzles, and other fuel system components talked about enable the engine to transition from idle to full throttle. Some pullers use single pump systems and others use dual pump systems, both systems work. Experienced alky pullers are very good at adjusting their fuel systems.

Re: Explain A 2 Or 3 Stage Alky Fuel System June 21, 2011 12:39AM
Yelp, these guys are spot on. I was too lazy to type all that out!!! Sad

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,721, Posts: 229,844, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,971.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro