gasket vs. form-a-gasket June 28, 2011 08:00AM
I was wondering what most everyone does when putting their engines together. Do use a gasket when possible or just use the form-a-gasket and make your own. This would be on parts like the oil pan and front cover. Thanks

Re: gasket vs. form-a-gasket June 28, 2011 08:28AM
I use alot of the black Right Stuff... works great! but if its a part you plan to take on and off.. it can be a pain. if you can find reusable rubber gaskets for those parts, do it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2011 08:29AM by Ruh.

Re: gasket vs. form-a-gasket June 28, 2011 08:52AM
Ultra copper for everything. Have used it to reuse headgaskets and seal up steel shim used as head gasket.

Re: gasket vs. form-a-gasket June 28, 2011 11:43AM
Use 100% silicone you buy at your local home improvement store in the caulk gun size you can evan get it in a variety of colors it works just the same as the RTV stuff but cost so much less. save more use moreBeer

Re: gasket vs. form-a-gasket June 28, 2011 01:53PM
no silicone! copper coat on the head gasket yes it's good stuff. had a guy do his own overhaul brought the tractor in for a dyno check. lasted 10 minutes and locked up solid. so with 2 hours on an overhaul we overhauled at the shop. found the problem. don't get ahead of me. silicon was everywhere in that engine. in the sprays, cam lube holes, and just about every oil passage in the block. cracked 3 sleeves destroyed the crank. 16,000 later he once again had a fresh engine. only thing used was loctite on the head gasket(so it will not leak) and grease on the paper gaskets.

Re: gasket vs. form-a-gasket June 28, 2011 02:25PM
Silicone is fine if you use the right stuff and know how much to use. Ultra grey is a very good silicone but is not high temp. Have also used alot of #2 permatex over the years.

Re: gasket vs. form-a-gasket June 28, 2011 02:32PM
I use gaskets when possible- makes me feel better. Nothing wrong with silicone if used properly. I like ultra blue and ultra copper. Read the label- some silicones say "not impervious to gasoline or oil". That means oil will disolve it, and at best, you will have a leak. At worst, it will get into and plug anything small. Don't want to argue with the post below, but hardware store silicone will not stop oil. It will let a gasket release easier, but the gasket is stopping the leak, not the silicone. Either way, use a VERY thin layer- it will squeeze out on BOTH sides, and into your engine if you use too much. I've taken apart a number of ruined engines many years ago when the standard blue automotive silicone first came to the market. Label said for water/antifreeze only, but lots of guys were using it for everything. The oil screens were plugged solid.

Re: gasket vs. form-a-gasket June 28, 2011 02:47PM
Silicone is alright if used in the right places, but there are not many right places to use it. MACK

Re: gasket vs. form-a-gasket June 28, 2011 03:03PM
permatex HIGH TACK ON ONE SIDE OF THE GASKET AND A LIGHT FILM OF GREASE ON THE OTHER, CAN REUSE PAPER GASKETS
SEVERAL TIMES, THEY STAY STUCK TO 1 PART AND NOT THE OTHER. COPPER COAT ON COPPER HEAD GASKETS.

Re: gasket vs. form-a-gasket June 29, 2011 02:18AM
Old timer mechanics, like my dad, used a lot of silver spray paint and shellac. He used silver spray paint on head gaskets, and shellac on gasket surfaces. I still use the same practices today on stock automotive applications. I tend to stick with more up-to-date products on the puller.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009