Things not to do at a pull July 03, 2011 03:30AM
Im not going to use names or places. This is constructive criticism and yes just an opinion. If it only makes me feel better then so be it. Here goes. Have alot of hooks to make and dont start on time. Use one sled when you have advertised multiple sleds and have another one at the pull not in use. Have an intermission. Have rules and dont stick with them especially rpms. Dont announce class placings after the class is done. Pullers and or fans give up at that 3 to 4 hour attention window. After that you are fighting a losing battle. Keep your show in that time frame and you will get more repeat customers. All this might not make a difference. But at least someone said something.

Re: Things not to do at a pull July 03, 2011 03:59AM
Here's a couple more. Speakers that you can't hear and next puller still in pits not lined up.

Re: Things not to do at a pull July 03, 2011 04:33AM
The track announcer obviously doesn't get the internet at home and is less informed than about 1/3 of the fans. Safety is the big issue. Do not allow fans or pullers to stand next to the track under any circumstances.

Re: Things not to do at a pull July 03, 2011 04:50AM
DO NOT have the speakers turned up so loud that spectators can not even hear the tractors. The fans would rather hear the tractors than have the announcer blabbering away. Don't get me wrong, every good pull needs a good announcer to let you know what is going on but keep the audio at a decent level. I know a lot of fans at Tomah were complaining about that this year, to the point they wanted ear plugs and not because the tractors were too loud!

Re: Things not to do at a pull July 03, 2011 06:01AM
I"ll second the thought about the speakers at Tomah. The commercials were loud Any one notice the Allison motors are now 1740 ci well at least according to the announcer.

Re: Things not to do at a pull July 03, 2011 08:20AM
I will add one. don't allow puller to park tractor between grandstand and track. Can block view.

Re: Things not to do at a pull July 03, 2011 05:24PM
Agreed. My biggest pet peeve is announcers. Some blabber on incessantly. Some mumble. Some are more interested in plugging the sponsors than announcing the distances.

Also on the volume level, yes. At Tomah on the grandstand side (near starting line) I used my earplugs to drown out the announcer. Infield side wasn't as bad.

Re: Things not to do at a pull July 03, 2011 07:13AM
is jed clampett talikng about the hillbilly pulls in heltonville indiana?

Re: Things not to do at a pull July 03, 2011 10:04AM
Make your own assumptions. Jethro has an opinion too.

Re: Things not to do at a pull July 03, 2011 09:16AM
Another one for the announcers is not announcing the distances in a timely fashion or not saying them at all for the fans/competitors keeping score on their own.

One for the people that help put the show on, such as track crew, is not having the necessary equipment made available, such as a line marker for the chalk line. It's galling to be working furiously to prep the track only to be waiting around for a water truck to show up, pushing the time constraints to the limit and possibly delaying the start time.

Re: Things not to do at a pull July 04, 2011 12:20AM
I agree with the things brought up as well but being a flagman it is very annoying when the pullers dont get lined up when there class is up or they dont pay attention to when they are up to pull and they are running back to the vehicle while everyone waits since they had to see their buddy pull. Or they are not in order which happens more in the stock classes by us. It the show is to run smoothly once started guys need to be lined up and ready to go as soon as the track is prepped and dont park your vehicle right at the end of the track and block traffic because you want to see the rest of class before pulling back by the hauler. Just my opinion.

Re: Things not to do at a pull July 04, 2011 12:31AM
I am sure that Jed Clampitt is talking about Hillbilly pulls in Heltonville In. I understand that there was at least one tractor running open RPM they should not have been allowed to run in the 10500 open 3000 RPM class. they only had one class for them that was the 10800 unlimited do your homework hilllbilly and use your RPM sensors on all classes. I do want to thank all the pullers for comming out you guys put on one hell of a show.

Re: Things not to do at a pull July 04, 2011 03:03AM
Fed up is about right. One group has done alot of work to get everyone equipped the sensors. Id say the damage is done. Too many second chances have been used. Real shame.

Re: Things not to do at a pull July 04, 2011 04:49AM
Don't call a board member's wife a B I, whether she is one or not.

Re: Things not to do at a pull July 04, 2011 06:10AM
Quit bitching about purse money. Who is into pulling to make money anyways. Purses are going to have to go down if pulling is to survive.

Re: Things not to do at a pull July 04, 2011 02:37PM
Do not have more than 1 or 2 tow back tractors. Certainly don't have more than 1 scraper and roller. 2x55 gallon drums for water with a garden hose is more than enough to water the dustbowl track. No graders allowed. Promoter cannot go to any other pull to see how they may efficiently keep a pull moving and the crowd interested. Very minimal (and I mean scant!) lighting for nite time pulling.
If you think this is far fetched, just look around. This is the situation that still happens. Hard to believe after 43 years of organized sanctioned pulling. And I'm not talking about only pure new brush pulls, either.

Re: Things not to do at a pull July 05, 2011 08:07AM
The Hillbilly people are great people don't get me wrong, but I believe they should for one not be charging the entertainment (tractor owners,mechanic, etc) 10.00$ per person to get in. #2 we need to start on time not an hour later. #3 the track needs a whole lot of work in order to make this a successful pull. m #4 25.00$ per hook is the highest ive ever paid to hook. The intermission doesn't bother me, but come on guys this could be a great event if you would take alittle advice from us pullers!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009