Girdle for a Small Block John Deere July 14, 2011 01:59AM
At what point do you need to install a girdle on a small block John Deere.
I am building a new 466 open RPM engine a want to know opinions.
I have been told buy an old timer that a 466 Deere does not need one.

Thanks Jared.

Re: Girdle for a Small Block John Deere July 14, 2011 05:09AM
You won't need one on a 466 open rpm unless you have multiple turbos. Some will machine the main caps flat and put a thick piece of steel on top of them for support and some will just go ahead and make steel main caps instead of a girdle. A girdle is generally used when boost pressure is over 150 psi or you get crazy with CID. Make sure the whole rotating assembly is balanced and that you run good oil.

Re: Girdle for a Small Block John Deere July 14, 2011 07:13AM
so you are saying a prostock with 100-130#'s of boost doesn't need one?good luck with that engine program!

Re: Girdle for a Small Block John Deere July 14, 2011 08:01AM
Does a pro stock run at 466 cubes???????? Don't think so!

Re: Girdle for a Small Block John Deere July 14, 2011 08:27AM
Do you need one if you run a 3000 RPM class with say a 466 that you take up to 560 or 600 CID.

Re: Girdle for a Small Block John Deere July 14, 2011 08:46AM
If your making good HP your going to need one those main caps are going to be walking. Put one in now and save yourself time and money!! If you need a good price on a 1inch steel one let me know

Re: Girdle for a Small Block John Deere July 14, 2011 09:12AM
You DON'T need a girdle as long as the main caps are tight in the block and the line bore is good and also like I mentioned before the rotating assembly is balanced then you will be just fine. Don't let people try and take your money for no reason! There are 540 CID 2 turbo super stock diesels running without girdles.

Re: Girdle for a Small Block John Deere July 14, 2011 10:05PM
Just my opinion, based on my peresonal experience, a girdle is pretty cheap insurance. i had no problems at 5000 rpm or less, but 5400 or more and i had considerable problems. ran 2 chargers 130 psi boost. put a girdle and fluid dampener on and ran same bearings for 3 years, no chafing on main caps.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,649, Posts: 229,718, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,068, Posts: 225,907.

Our newest member JD_8520