560 broken axle July 17, 2011 02:23PM
OK Guy's, What can I do to keep this from happening again??? Break starts at the back side of the hub. It's on a 560 Farmall axle used on a Limited Light Superstock. The other side is starting to break also. My thinking is the hub was flexing from the force of the tire and wheel. Would 4 triangle gusset's off the back side eliminate this? Any other idea's or what have others done? Anyone in or near Michigan have 2 good axle's!! LOL

Thanks for any idea's and Thanks Morgan's for the space!!!!!!!

Re: 560 broken axle July 17, 2011 02:54PM
Well you could spend the money and have axles made or drill a hole in the center of the stock axles which would help. Generally drill about a 1" hole about 10" or so in but will all depend on the axle size and length.

Re: 560 broken axle July 17, 2011 04:21PM
What was the weight of the class that you are pulling in?

Re: 560 broken axle July 17, 2011 10:50PM
We run at 6500 lbs up here.

Re: 560 broken axle July 18, 2011 12:49AM
Are you looking for stock axles. Got a rearend laying out back with two in it . SE MI

Re: 560 broken axle July 18, 2011 02:46AM
How thick are the plates? What welding process are you using? I'd bet it's starting from the weld.

Re: 560 broken axle July 18, 2011 03:51AM
Yes, gussets will take the flex out of it, and you may have a problem with your welding procedure. You are welding a mild steel plate to a hardened axle.

Re: 560 broken axle July 18, 2011 12:08PM
If I remember correctly the 560's had 2 different axle sizes.IH had problems with the smaller ones.Sorry I cant remember the exact size.(2 1/2-2 3/4?)But the later 460/560's had an axle that was 1/4" bigger in diameter.That can help.But if you put too much heat on them when welding then on you lose the tensil strength.Which makes them brittle.Do NOT overweld them!Yes gussets can help as long as you dont get them too hot when welding.Have an experienced welder that knows metalurgy put them on.Its not a job for a backyard welder.Even tho it looks simple.If your guy cant guarantee them to be within .030 in being perfectly straight and true after he welds them on,then find another welder because he doesnt know how to weld them on.Also buy the ones with the "spline" built into the hub.Dont buy the cheaper ones.The splined ones will require less welding and thus less chance to get em too hot when putting them on.BTW.It looks like your putting as much HP as those axles will take.If your doing everything right,you may need to opt for some custom billet axles, or like another one suggested,rifle drill the stock ones. Hope this helps.Good luck.Losing a wheel really sucks.

Re: 560 broken axle July 18, 2011 01:24PM
The 460's was the one with two different size axle. The 560 's all had the bigger axle.

Re: 560 broken axle July 18, 2011 02:43PM
We put 4 gussets on our mod but when my son welded them on we ran a wet towel around the axel be for we started to keep it from getting too hot. I think gussets will help

Re: 560 broken axle July 18, 2011 03:13PM
Thanks Everyone for the input!!!! Not sure on the welding process I had dropped them off at the time for the Local welding shop to weld. They have done quite a few others and those haven't had problems. The hubs ran perfectly true when I got them back. These are the 2 3/4" axles.
Who makes the aftermarket axles? What kind of price tag on something like that?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009