NTPA montecello and knoxville ia results? July 22, 2011 02:55AM
does anyone have knoxville and montecello results?

Re: NTPA montecello and knoxville ia results? July 22, 2011 03:47PM
Not sure about monticello but I was at knoxville and the track was not very good. Some of the heavy supers were really light on the nose and they seemed like they were having a hard time. One thing I did see that was cool was that when the "just one more" tractor took off I could see blue smoke coming off the back tires. It had a lot of tire speed, coolest thing I ever have seen at a tractor pull. The tractor sounded awesome. I think the one other tractor called "slap shot" blew a radiator hose or somthing because it was steaming a little bit out the grill. And one guy had a red tractor with lime green stuff on it drove it right out of bounds, it looked like there may have been in issue with the steering wheel because the wheels never turned to the right. All in all the knoxville gang did a pretty good job I thought.

Re: NTPA montecello and knoxville ia results? July 22, 2011 04:18PM
Word around the pits at Independance was the the tractors of Rose (Sling Shot), Mc Giffin (red tractor green paint) and Dahl from Minnesota all had the chain hooked up on a cross brace for the wheely bars. I would assume there maybe some kind of change coming on hook procedure.

Re: NTPA montecello and knoxville ia results? July 22, 2011 05:36PM
Yes they were hooked about 10"-12" to high. Think the chain hooker was high too. Cant tell the differance between a oval hole in drawbar and a 1" cross pipe. Alot of good iron messed up now. Funny to see a tractor do a burnout on the line too. Change in hook procedure? Do we really need and sign and arrow pointing to, "Hook goes Here" ?

Re: NTPA montecello and knoxville ia results? July 23, 2011 12:48AM
Glad to see no one was hurt. I would think chain guys should have some familarity with tractor pulling, if not why would this person even be on the track. I believe it is the promoters responibility to find track help - so maybe they should be more responsible in there selection. Visit Moore Photos to see pictures of the SSD class - crazy wheely bar stands (except for Just One More who I assume they hooked to the correct "hole" and probably after he moved as much weight to the front as they could.) I think the winning distance was 220 or something like that.

Re: NTPA montecello and knoxville ia results? July 23, 2011 02:29AM
Yeah too bad, they had some good iron there, just couldn't show their stuff. Hook guy just needed alittle more schooling. Real good event for the 1st year!

Re: NTPA montecello and knoxville ia results? July 23, 2011 02:56AM
How can somebody run a pull then have some guy hooking the sled to the tractors that has no clue what is going on! NTPA should be so ashamed of themselves. Saying sorry to the pullers doesn't cut it.

Re: NTPA montecello and knoxville ia results? July 23, 2011 08:08AM
My son had never been to a ntpa pull so he drove 80 mile to watch the Knoxville pull, His words was it was the shittiest pull he had ever seen. @#$%& track, @#$%& announcer and a freaking sf won the dss class! He said he was sticking with Outlaw or PPl pulls from now on.

Re: NTPA montecello and knoxville ia results? July 23, 2011 11:31PM
As much money as NTPA makes off of the promoters, and pullers, they could pay an extra tech official to hook and unhook tractors.. NTPA is just a group of old, money hungry guys, that are pocketing a ton of money off of every promoter, and tractor puller. Its one larger scam! Its greedy old men that need to make 100k a year off of the tractor puller. No wonder the purse stinks, end of season money stinks, and the shows are starting to stink. Your finally starting to see pullers get fed up with it, and not go anymore. We are tired of paying to put on the show, and not even get out fuel covered in return, while everyone else gets paid! Maybe NTPA should take some of the hundreds of thousands they have made so far this year, and give the money to these superstock competitors so they can fix their tractors after NTPA's recent huge mess up!

Re: NTPA montecello and knoxville ia results? July 24, 2011 05:43AM
the old Iowa boys not so stupid ?

Re: NTPA knoxvillie wrecks July 26, 2011 08:25AM
Ntpa better find a way to get this fixed from what I here all three of these tractors are done for the year because of frames being bent up and motor problems caused from the frames getting bent

Re: NTPA knoxvillie wrecks July 26, 2011 08:28AM
You would think the guy unhooking the chain would of realized it and said something so it would of only happin to one tractor not three of them

Re: NTPA knoxvillie wrecks July 26, 2011 08:45AM
I am not saying this because I think the situation should be taken lightly, it is a real issue. But Mcgiffens tractor wasnt hurt at all, dahls is fixed already (no idea is intentions to pull), and Rose's was in the worst shape and may be parked. I feel bad for all 3 as it could have been much worse, but I know NTPA is on it and there will be efforts taken so this will not and can not happen again. No matter who volunteers to drop the hooks. It was one of the weirdest pulling situations I have ever been apart of.

Re: NTPA knoxvillie wrecks adam July 27, 2011 01:15AM
adam- what exactly happend to pete nick and jeff. how did they get hooked wrong there is only one hole in the rear of tractors drop the hook in correct.

Re: NTPA knoxvillie wrecks adam July 27, 2011 03:57AM
There is only one hole for a hook, but a certain builder puts a tube from side to side above and in front of the hitch hole to strengthen his hitch/weight bar plates.
To someone new, that has never hooked up a tractor before, it could be sort of an easy mistake.
You would think after seeing a few without that bar, the feller would have figured out he messed up.
And as far as the unhooker guy, the ones that got hooked up that way (on the cross tube) hooked so hard left so soon, that the hooker upper was also doing the unhooking.

Re: NTPA knoxvillie hitch mess up July 27, 2011 07:44AM
These owners/drivers put a lot of time and money to make there vehicles safe for the fans and drivers. There is no excuse for this mess up by the track crew. I am just a fan who follows this message board and tractor pulling and surprised the NTPA has not announced this screw up and cautioned others of this incident so it does not happen again. Maybe the NTPA would have taken this more seriously if the tractor came unhooked and rolled or injured the driver or fans. Then maybe there would be some action taken or caution reported on there website, facebook page or twitter. They need to address it before a serious incident occurs instead of being silent on the action. Maybe they have contacted all of the promoters privately, so I could give them the benefit of the doubt, but if they haven't they need to get the message out.

Re: NTPA knoxvillie hitch mess up July 27, 2011 07:52AM
Agreed, Ignorance till someone gets hurt or killed is not the way we should be making rules. Mcgiffin left independence in a heep of disgust the following day before the pull! I remember other times where the chain was put in the wrong hitch and still we have tech officials who just stand around durinf the pull. The pullers are tired of this coming up every other week and NTPA better get someone in the buckboard and hooking these tractors right!

Re: NTPA knoxvillie hitch mess up July 27, 2011 09:02AM
I can remember at one time that the primary hitch was supposed to be painted orange and if you had a second hitch it was supposed to be white. Is this still a rule for any of the organizations? I can also remember some pullers would cover up the second hitch with duct tape so it wouldn't be used when it shouldn't be. And if some of these pulls have someone who is not familiar with what is going on then how hard would it be for a tech official or whoever it would be to show them the proper way to do things like hooking to the primary hitch and not to a cross bar or the second hitch? If someone would get seriously injured or killed then who is to blame?

Re: NTPA knoxvillie hitch mess up July 27, 2011 09:04AM
Was Snoop doing the hooking?

Re: NTPA knoxvillie hitch mess up July 27, 2011 12:37PM
I've noticed from watching Lambada vids on Youtube that they always have a crew member check the hook. might not be a bad idea...

Re: NTPA knoxvillie wrecks adam July 27, 2011 06:00PM
You really stated that hooking a 1'' pipe a foot above the drawbar hole- " a sort of an easy mistake" ?? And having someone that has never hooked a tractor before doing this job?? Those are just poor excuses for the real problem. Its not the equipments problem, its the promoters and NTPAs problem. We dont need to change the tractors setup, just find someone that knows what a drawbar is.

Re: NTPA knoxvillie wrecks adam July 28, 2011 12:02PM
I realize not every puller has a crew.. with that being said, why not have the top end flagperson check it.?.? I was a track official about ten years ago.. there was a sled out of Iowa that had a hook man with him at each pull.. he would hook and run down to unhook... don't remember which sled it was??

Re: NTPA montecello and knoxville ia results? July 28, 2011 08:59PM
what is the website for the photos?,if i may ask

Re: NTPA montecello and knoxville ia results? July 29, 2011 01:05AM
http://moorephotosmn.smugmug.com/Pulling2011

Look under knoxville photos

Re: NTPA montecello and knoxville ia results? July 29, 2011 04:15AM
thank you

Re: Jeff Rose SS tractor July 27, 2011 12:38PM
Can anyone from the Rose team let us know when the IH will be back out again?

Re: Jeff Rose SS tractor July 27, 2011 04:46PM
Sorry to say that Sling Shot may not make it back out in 2011. That hitching mistake bent the frame, which bent some motor mounting brackets and water pump brackets, which wrecked the motor. Pretty much took care of this SSD for 2011. Someone doesn't know a hitchin hole in the back-end of a tractor from a hole in the ground.

volunteers July 27, 2011 05:27PM
This is not a excuse, but diffently something to consider. I have helped Brian put on the Jefferson City NTPA/Outlaw?east Central pull from day one. The last 2 years setting tractor lineup. When a promoter puts on a show its volunteers. We go through saftly over and over, but once the show gets started and you start to get rushed/pushed mistakes happen. This was also the first time they held a event of this calliber in Knoxville. I think their is a very good point made in a earlier post, every time you back to the sled, you should have a crew pearson check the chain. When I ran my LSS, we checked the chain/hitch and also to make sure the tractor was as square to the sled as possable. Not rying to shunt the blam away from the track crew, but being a little pro-active never hurts. Especially after the first time.

Last not if the vehical was insured properly. That should be covered. When we bent a fram due to a sled malfunction it was covered. I hope all the teams get back on there feet soon and that maybe NTPA and other assoc. take this matter into serius consideration.

Re: volunteers July 27, 2011 11:37PM
NTPA just needs to send a official track guy to do this job I guess. If compentant volunteers can not be found - fix the problem. There is absolutely no excuse for this - it is 100% the track crew and the puller has no responsibility to check the chain (remember some drivers pull onto the track with no assistants). Sorry to see a tractor destroyed by an incompetant track crew member. If NTPA is concerned about safety, they should already be addressing this issue.

Re: volunteers July 28, 2011 01:06AM
Organized pulling has been going on for 40 plus years now and we're still running into interesting scenarios that can and will happen. The answer to a situation like this lies in the middle--and the promoter/organization relationship is at work here. When a promoter gets volunteers there's no guarantee that their volunteers are experienced on a track. The added cost that a sanctioning body has for adding another tech official is rightfully passed on to the promoter. Plus, not every puller shows up with a crew to assist so they're putting trust in the fact that their vehicle is hooked properly. We're already spread pretty thin with regard to tech officials, so here's an idea--have a set of three to five pullers at an event swap off hitching duties. Spread that job out so that no one neglects their own vehicle preparations and give them a discount on their entry fee for doing the job or some other form of compensation. If anyone is gonna exercise great care in how a vehicle is hooked up, its a puller.

The ending thought is who assumes risk here. Luckily there was only vehicle damage no bodily injury. The contract between the organizing body and promoter should spell some of this out, but if it doesnt it should. Pointing fingers at the promoter and the NTPA doesnt solve the problem, taking that energy to devise a solution so that this doesnt happen again will solve it.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: tractors July 28, 2011 01:55AM
Also heard pete was done pulling for the year as well because of his frame being bent

Re: tractors July 28, 2011 02:00AM
Regions 3 ssd will sure take a hit losing two really good tractors

Re: tractors July 28, 2011 12:56PM
there is only one party to blame as far as i am concerned. no excuses. i agree with what brian said to a point but what happens when a puller has a problem after he unloads at a pull and another puller has to help him ( we have all seen this happen when pullers help other pullers make there hook) and neither one can be up there to check the situation out?

Re: tractors July 28, 2011 03:35PM
In no way should this ever be the responsibility of a puller, or group of pullers to police the hooking of a tractor! With all of the money NTPA is making off of the pullers, and promotors, i'm pretty sure they could afford to dole out the money for 1 more official at an event just to be the hook person. I don't agree 1 bit with having a "crew person" be the one to check that. Not when everyone has a crew person. Or having a volunteer be the person who hooks a tractor. How many times have you seen one of them get a twist in a chain? I've saw it. I think we need to have these organizations step up! They are always worried about "safety" because they want their butts covered, well how about they do something to cover their butt now. Rather than charge the puller more money, or promotor more money. Maybe one of the office people or president and ceo need to take a bit of a pay cut. They can do their part on safety for once.

Re: tractors July 29, 2011 01:51AM
I shouldn't get involved in this, but enough NTPA bashing. I attend a lot of pulls each year and most are NTPA. I have yet to be at one this year where there wasn't someone (event coordinator, region rep, Schrier, Randall, Richwine, Miller, Jackson or some other responsible person) who stood at the junction of the sled and pulling vehicle during the hooking process. Now maybe they closed their eyes when the looked at the hook, but rarely did that person not glance between the sled and the pulling vehicle when/after the hooked was dropped. I am not saying that one could not have been missed, but surely not three in a row. This is another reason for pullers to stay away from the starting line if your vehicle isn't the one being hooked. Too much congestion leads to mistakes. So, I wouldn't put it on the organization as a whole, but on the event coordinator for not checking and not schooling the "hooker" and unhooker at that event. Just my observations. JW

Re: tractors July 29, 2011 01:54AM
Petes tractor is fine

Re: tractors July 29, 2011 02:04AM
So only NTPA needs to "supply" paid hookers? (now that I typed it like that, I kinda like the idea,,)
How about PPL, Outlaws, OSTPA, ESP, and all the "smaller" groups? Are they also to supply hookers too?
It is a really bad deal this happened.
I'm sure it will be dealt with and maybe we can all learn something from it.
Who do I talk to about my hooker preferances?
I kinda like the shorty shorts and cowboy boots and tight tee shirt look,,,,,,

Re: volunteers July 29, 2011 04:27AM
As much as NTPA charges the promoters for the so called production fee, they should have compitent track officials at the pull. They like to preach saftey all the time, so practice what they preach.

Re: volunteers July 29, 2011 01:36PM
who knew, dangit I should have hit McConnell up to pay for my rearend back in the atpa days. Broke the rearend in several pieces when the hook was placed in the wrong hole. i just went home and fixed the tractor, never even thought to ask for payment. Hired a crew member after that to always check the hitch location figured it would just be cheaper and less work.

Re: volunteers August 01, 2011 09:28AM
To make a honest mistake is one thing. IF it was intentional thats another I believe it was not

Re: volunteers August 01, 2011 11:00AM
I dont see my hand out looking for a check to repair my tractor.
@#$%& happens and it sucks, but there are alot worste things in life.
Nick Dahl

Re: volunteers August 03, 2011 07:56AM
Such is life

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,670, Posts: 229,762, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,076, Posts: 225,938.

Our newest member JD_8520