Deere 531 rebuild on a budget July 25, 2011 01:55PM
I'm rebuilding a 531(ta) out of a 7520 to stick in a motorless 5020 I bought. Not going to do a ton of pulling with it but I want a good strong reliable motor when I'm done I plan on using it pissing around with my ripper in the fall and a digger in the spring. It had shot 20.8x38's on it when I got it but I did pick up a nice set of 20.8x42 firestones on step down rims for it at a sale cheap. I'll be running farm stock at the pulls- which will probably give me some grief but I'll throw my money on the table- pull- have the time of my life and they can keep their $3 trophy!!
anyway
I've got the top of the motor off and as soon as I get time to get it mounted on my engine stand I'll be tearing the bottom end down. It looks good except for #2 ate some coolant sometime in its life and #3 and 4 look like they ate a injector tip at some time thus the 619 head on it. Can I bore the 531 sleeves and put 619 pistons in them? this would cure my problem in #2 and #3 and 4 as well. On the bottom end I plan on griding the crank if need be and replacing all the bearings. Do I need to look at getting the rotating assembly balanced? I would like to send the cam out to get ground- who do you guys recommend for that? I've used berry cam on my antique pullers and have had good luck there. How about the injection system- I need to rebuild the injectors and the pump- is there any little things I should or can do there, or just get them rebuilt- stick it on a dyno and tune it up with the smoke screw? It came with a new turbo so for now I dont plan on doing anything there as well as the clutch that was a new button clutch which should hold what ever I'm throwing at it. Kind of aiming for that 300hp mark.
Any info is appriciated-
Quick pic of where I'm at now- cause everybody loves pics!!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,781, Posts: 229,964, Members: 3,339.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,046.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009