IH Input Shaft July 31, 2011 07:14AM
Looking for options on IH input shaft, 1066.

How to tell if its the big or little shaft, are there billet versions of either or just big, and who makes them. also whats required to switch to big if the tractor has a small. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks.

Re: IH Input Shaft July 31, 2011 10:29AM
If it's stock it's little. Replacement requires complete teardown of speed tranny and replacement of ta or straight shaft.

Re: IH Input Shaft July 31, 2011 12:43PM
It can be stock and still have a big shaft.

Re: IH Input Shaft July 31, 2011 12:52PM
Not in a factory 1066

Re: IH Input Shaft July 31, 2011 03:08PM
Stock shaft has to be an 11 spline, if its a stock 13 spline all 4 gears wont fit it has to be a 3 speed!

Re: IH Input Shaft August 02, 2011 12:04AM
Okay, so what other options are out there then for aftermarket stuff, wheres a good starting point.

Thinking about finding a stock one for the last couple hooks if its not going to be too much work to replace, then going through the extra work of switching to the big shaft this winter.

Re: IH Input Shaft August 02, 2011 12:32AM
How big do you wanna go? 1 3/4" or 2"?

Re: IH Input Shaft August 02, 2011 01:25AM
What's the price difference and how many more parts need to be changed for each route.

Re: IH Input Shaft August 02, 2011 02:02AM
Usually its the same price for the big 1566 shaft and the 1 3/4" 27 spline shaft. lots of people are running the 1566 shaft. If you need to keep your hydraulic pump for brakes and steering then you can't go with the 1 3/4" shaft. Either way you will need new clutch disks and a new center for your pressure plate. I'd do it right the first time and maybe put some gears in while your in there. Unless you really like double splitting your tractor

Re: IH Input Shaft August 02, 2011 05:29AM
usually
Usually its the same price for the big 1566 shaft and the 1 3/4" 27 spline shaft. lots of people are running the 1566 shaft. If you need to keep your hydraulic pump for brakes and steering then you can't go with the 1 3/4" shaft. Either way you will need new clutch disks and a new center for your pressure plate. I'd do it right the first time and maybe put some gears in while your in there. Unless you really like double splitting your tractor

just curious as to why you can't keep the mcv pump?

Re: IH Input Shaft August 02, 2011 05:48AM
So there are two bigger shafts than the 1066 one?

Since I would have to switch things for either shaft, naturally would the 2" one be better or is there a smaller aftermarket or is the stock shaft adequate.

What all Needs to be changed in side the transmission. Would I need gears from a 1566?

If the MCV pump cant be run off of the 1 3/4" shaft, would I need to mount one off the front of the engine?

I dont mind splitting the tractor. it takes maybe 15-20 minutes. All of the wires are in one bulkhead and all fluid lines are quick connects.

The reason i was looking at just replacing the stock one is because it would be quicker I would think and Im sure I can find one quick and cheap. What is involved in replacing it?

Re: IH Input Shaft August 02, 2011 10:31AM
If you can double split your tractor in 15-20 min., man you should be working for nascar!!!! maybe the first split in that time but to split the trans from rearend, gota remove tower and ect... would say its impossible to do that in 20 min. then you gota totally gut the trans to change the shaft. I would also recommend doing it once the right way.

Re: IH Input Shaft August 02, 2011 10:49AM
split it once engine from rear in 20 minutes. Guess I didnt know which section you were referring to.

Guess I still havent gotten much of a straight answer of which is the route to go. And whats ivolved in stepping up versus just replacing the original. What all other parts have to be replaced. If im already having to remove the parts anyways to go to the bigger shaft, then i might as well replace them to the bigger shaft if this is going to be an involved job.

Thank you.

Re: IH Input Shaft August 02, 2011 11:05AM
do it once do it right no need to buy the gaskets and seals twice. you will need to change your pto hub one out of a 15 will work as long as it is same tooth count as the one you take out 10 ran two different tooth counts. if its differnt you will have to change gear on pump to match. who ever you buy the shaft off of should be able to help out. stock cm gear will probley need spacer made to take up gap between it and snap ring grove depends on what you buy

Re: IH Input Shaft August 02, 2011 10:53AM
Don't have to remove tower but will definately take more than 20min either way. Can get a lot done in a hour if you know what your doing.

Re: IH Input Shaft August 02, 2011 10:51AM
just re read the post from vinny and understand now how far into it i have to go.

Still curious as to what needs to be replaced and if the MCV pump will still be operational if going to a larger shaft and which route is the best.

Re: IH Input Shaft August 02, 2011 10:59AM
Im not sure as to why you can't use the stock mcv pump with the bigger shaft. Thats just what one of the companies told us when we were in the market.

Re: IH Input Shaft August 02, 2011 04:21PM
Ok im not sure what everone else on here is talking about but ill give you the easiest route. Find a hy capacity dealer or ag parts whatever your preference is tell them you want a ta for a 1066 but special built with a big shaft. They will have to special order it for you maybe cost an extra hundred dollars. Then there is a kit for the ipto chaft for a 1566 that will allow you to use the stock mcv pump. Then you just need the big hubs in your pressure plate and clutch disk. Its that simple. This will give you an 1 3/4 inch shaft. If you break that shaft then you prob don't need to be running a ta to begin with, if you need more help private message me and ill give u my number. Good luck

Re: IH Input Shaft August 02, 2011 11:55PM
okay thank you, the last few posts answered a lot of my questions.

Im not running a TA. And a PM is sent to you Jordan

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,763, Posts: 229,925, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,021.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM